Supermarkets

Are there western or American type supermarkets in Suzhou? We hardly go out for dining since we cook our meals at home. I am wondering about the availability of western groceries.  I love the idea of going to a wet market since foods will be more fresh.

What about pet products and vet service?

Hey Loramichaelsuki,

Don't worry; you'll have a great choice of western supermarkets in SIP. You'll also find a number of” neighborhood centers” were you can buy fresh fruits and veggies better as in supermarket!  Anyway I recommend you to live SIP…the rest of Suzhou is not “that mutch developed” that western people wanna live there!
Pet shops and vet service are easy to find…at least in SIP.
For your way to Wuzhong: It's actually not far from SIP, but if there is rush hour a 1hour drive will be not enough.

Anyway, Suzhou is the best choice for living in China. Have been too many cities in China already and I'm very happy to be based in Suzhou. If my boss try to move me somewhere else in China; I'm off!!!

See ya,
S-Punkt

Yep,you can find markets like Auchan,Wal-mart,RT-market,Carrefour and some groceries too.

As for wet market, it can be found mostly near the commuinity,tips:)food there are without price tag.

It is easy to find pet clinics here,where you could do your pet  treatment and pet grooming,they also sell pet products.

Hi Punkt,
Thank you for your invaluable input. 

It might be premature for me to make a scenario of life in Suzhou because I do not have the job offer yet. But certainly the information that you guys provide could be a big deciding factor whether my husband and myself can tear ourselves away from life as we know it here in the US.

Best regards

Depending on your location in Suzhou there are many many western style supermarkets.

There is an Auchen (French) market, a Walmart (US) in the In City complex in SIP, and a Tesco in SND. There are also a few RT Marts about (Japapense) but they sell certain Western style foods. There is also a Euro-mart in SIP, where they sell European produce. Check out the website whatsoninsuzhou.com.cn for addresses and so on.... or pic up the magazine from some of the expat bars and restaurants. It contains maps and will give a better idea as to where they are located.

Hope that helps.