Questions from a newbie

Hi newbie here, my hubby and I are planning our move soon to Alajuela, CR. I am very anxious and excited. I'm looking forward to meeting new people and experiencing a new life away from where I have been.

What are your favorite things about living in Costa Rica?
What are your favorte things to do there?
What other positive things can you tell me about life in Costa Rica?

Thank you so much! <3 HUGS <3 :)

Welcome to Expat.com DivineStar!;)

Harmonie.

First things first; let's just take off the rose colored glasses. Living in Costa Rica is really no different than living anywhere else in the world. Some aspects are truly amazing and some are truly depressing. All immigrants face some serious challenges and it's best to look at everything very cautiously. There is very little typical excitement/entertainment here and 99% is found in San Jose, which is a challenge in and of itself. I am talking big concerts, theater shows, etc. I am not a crowd type of person, but there are many festivals and events throughout the year. There are tons of wonderful places to explore but it is best to have a good 4x4 to tackle the rough roads and steep mountains. Between my friends and I, we figure we spend about $2000 a year, on the average, maintaining our vehicles. If you stay solely on the roads in the central valley, it can be a little less…that is, if you do not get into an accident. Nature is stunning here but Costa Rica is also one of the number one consumers of pesticides in the world. It can be heart breaking to see the state of rivers that run through the Central Valley too. I love to travel around and see all there is and my biggest regret is that I don't have enough money to stay longer and see more. The best thing you can bring here is patience, tolerance and a good sense of humor. Learning Spanish will greatly increase the quality of your life too.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the input DDTica, I have been through the blog and have already read the negative things about CR, that it is why I asked those specific questions. I know the struggles of life from the lower end, that's where I come from. This blog and many others people are always complaining about things. But the truth is life is what it is no matter where you go, the thing is you have to be adaptable. This world is made of many many different types of cultures and customs. I for one do not own any glasses I own a heart that's open to all walks of life. :D

Again, I really like the opinions you write. I will be in Costa Rica on March 13.
Hope to have some positive experiences and a great learning experience.

I almost forgot! Do yourself a huge favor and buy a good map! There are sooooo many places here with the same name or very similar names, even I get confused! Don't trust Google maps either! They show a road near me that only can be done on horseback! I never leave home without my road map. It can be a life saver, especially with my penchant for exploring. I had a friend come down with a Gamin (?) and he loved it. I am kinda old fashion, tho. You can buy them here, but they are cheaper in the states. 

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Costa- … 1553411803

I wholeheartedly encourage the use of a Garmin GPS with NavSat software.  On our first trip we rented a GPS through the car rental agency (many now offer this service for nothing).  The last four times we have traveled with a Garmin Nuvi 1490 that we purchased here in Canada.  The software for Costa Rica can be purchased through EBay or right from NavSat.  You simply pay for the software, give your GPS information, and they send you a link to download and install the software.  We have dozens of coordinates programmed in for Costa Rica and I simply back up the .GPX file, use the GPS normally when in Canada, and then copy my Costa Rica file back on when we travel to Costa Rica.  I would not be without it!
Cheers .... Terry