Socializing in Austria (Salzburg particularly)

Hello All,

I just moved to Austria for what will likely be at least a year and possibly longer.  I'm working on it, but my German is nearly non-existent at this point.  I'm wondering if anyone has advice on getting out and meeting people while linguistically handicapped.

In the States I might have joined some clubs or teams or something but here I'm not even sure where to start or where to find clubs.  I have a very very small group of co-workers so networking isn't going to work all that well.  Austria seems like a great place with lots of cool things to do (particularly skiing this time of year), but it'd be more fun to get some people together and do them.

I've been wondering if any other English speakers out there might be in the same boat.  Would anybody be interested in some group outings for expatriates and friends?  Skiing?  Tourism?  Cool restaurants?  Live music shows?  I don't mind being an organizer if there's any interest.

Let me know if
  a) You have some advice
  b) You would be interested in joining some group activities

Best Regards,
Dave

Just in case anybody's reading this, I thought I'd mentioned that I'm checking out CouchSurfing.net which seems to have a fairly active community in Salzburg (and nearby areas).

Regards,
Dave

Hi Dave,

I moved the discussion to the Salzburg forum, it may help ;)

Hi Dave,

I am an Indian kinda in the same boat as you. Got to Salzburg on 30th of Jan 2010 so its only my first week here. I moved from Charleston SC and my family (wife and 4 yr old son) joins me in April when I have a permanent apartment and car etc.....
Obviously I cannot advise you being linguistically handicapped and very new here myself. I am going to be here for 3 years before returning to Michigan.
I am also not the athletic type but the reason we moved to Austria was to get out more.
I'll try to stay in the loop if there are any such outings you are doing and give it a shot. I do love photography and that does take me places I would normally not go so I am not completely averse to adventure.
Have fun.

Manoj

Hello to any readers of this.  I am about to take a trip back to the States and return in April.  But I've decided to plan an evening coffee/beer next week before going and invite anyone who might like to come.  This may turn out being me having a coffee by myself, but it would be a pleasure to have other expats (or non-expats) join.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you are in Salzburg and interested in a coffee.  My email is below (slightly disguised to avoid spam).

fosterd AT result-tech.com

Regards,
Dave

Hi Dave,

I live in Salzburg and when you return, drop me a line, it would be great to meet up.  I'm a Brit and have lived here for almost three years, I work in education.

Hi guys, I just moved to Salzburg and have unfortunately not met a lot of people so far. Any tips? would love to meet some english speakers.

Welcome Dave :)

Hello Dave,

If you are in Salzburg, we can meetup for a beer or coffee. I am new to Salzburg and from US.

I am not sure if this group is active or not? I am also new to Salzburg and would be keen to meet up for a coffee with some expats...in between moving apartments etc :) I am based more in Mondsee area but it's not that far to commmute!

Hi Everyone,
   Brand New to Salzburg. I moved here last week from the United States, October 25th 2011.  I only know one person from the city (my girlfriend) and am hoping to meet some new people that speak English.  Send me a message if there is anything going on..
-CHRIS

Hi
I am planing to move to Salzburg in January 2012 and was wondering if there was a strong expat community like there is in other countries.
It's not that I don't want to make friends with Austrians, I do, but I find them hard to get to know. I lived in Salzburg before and I found it hard to get to know new people, once you do they are the nicest people you will ever meet. It's just the initial stages that are hard.
I'll be giving up a lot of friends and family to move to Salzburg so I'd like to know that I have a possibility of meeting new people and making friends. I'm very sociable and really enjoy people's company.

Any help or info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks