Additonal cost to work on a Business Visa?

I've received more information about a position in Riyadh that I am being considered for. The plan would be to bring me on a six month business visa. This would basically be a probation period for the position. At some point during this time, if things are working out they would start my iquma application. The position would pay a base salary and a lump sum for living expenses. I think the living allowance is sufficient, but because of a business visa I am wondering if there will be additional higher costs than if I have my iquma. Specifically, would I be able to rent an apartment or would I need to stay in a hotel. Also, it's my understanding that I can't get a drivers license or a bank account without the iquma so the handling of money internationally would be an expense. Can I rent a car when I need one with an international driver license?
Under normal circumstances, I believe the allowance, which would be approximately 13,000 SAR per month would be sufficient, but I don't know how far it would go having to pay for a hotel, eating out most of the time, hiring cars or taxis, etc. I also need to find out about insurance which I also think comes out of this. I have insurance in the US but I don't know if I can use or modify it for Saudi.
Any input would be appreciated.

The iqama is also needed to purchase Internet and mobile phone services. 

I can't comment on your other questions about driving and accommodation; however, I hope you're aware it's illegal to "work" on a business visit visa.  This type of visa is for businesspeople, consultants, sales reps, etc., coming to the Kingdom for the purpose of doing business (see www.saudiembassy.net/services/business_visit.aspx). 

You'll likely be doing regular visa runs while on a biz visa.  Moreover, any contract between you (as a business visit visa holder) and the company will not be recognized per the Saudi labor law.  Anyway, make sure you thoroughly check them out.

I know they say I will have to leave the country every 30 days while on the business visa. They are not a Saudi company but they are a good size international company with offices in Riyadh and they do management consulting for the various Saudi govenment agencies. The project I will be worknig on requires a US or UK national. I will look into that aspect more though.

Anymore input on the other items would be helpfull.

Thanks

I will comment on Accommodations, banks and car rentals.

Banks; You can't open a bank account while not holding a valied Iqama also can't transfer money using wiring companies like speedcash, but you can hand carry up to SR60 K when leaving the country.

Accommodations; officially you need your Iqama to rent a flat but that is not set on stones. The other option is staying in serviced apartments (Furnished Apartments) and there are tons of them everywhere you go in Riyadh. The monthly cost will be anywhere between SR3-6 K depending on their location and the services provided.

Cars: yes you can rent a car using your passport/ business visa and the monthly Contract/cost will be; Small cars Sr2400-2800, Medium cars SR4500-4800 and 4X4 SR7000-9000.

All the best,

Thanks for the info. I would only be renting a car maybe on a weekend if I wanted to get out of town and check out the area. How does everyone handle money/get paid/cash checks while waiting for a Iqama.

You need to trust one of your Colleagues and indorse the check for him to cash it.

Many companies are still paying their employees in-cash so you can arrange it with your company.

Some pointers from me:

Probation : Cannot be more than 90 days, if more then its illegal or they have to terminate the first contract and issue you a new one other than the old.

Business visit visa : Its common practise to bring people like this first on a visit visa while they get the work visa , reason is b'z they dont have ready work visa.

Accommodation: Your company can issue a letter saying you are working with them and for most landlords this would be enough (of course along with at least 6 months rent) to give you the accommodation.

Rent Car: Similar letter from company to company tied up rent car company can get you a car. Or you still can rent car if you have international driving license but then rent car companies will charge you more. Better to have the letter in any case.

Money: You can ask company to transfer a certain sum to your account abroad (most companies may refuse this since they will have to pay withholding tax). Your option is to get it a chq, most banks now cash chq's even if you are on a visit visa. You only need to show them the original passport with visa page. They might allow transfer as well, but very rarely and to westerners. To transfer, you need a friend who has an iqama and you transfer in his name, but beware - he cannot transfer a lot of money and more than once a month. Of course as Ahmadq said - you can carry 60K with declaration and more without declaring - hoping they dont find it out.

I can confirm you the following:
- Renting a car: you can (but i think only for 3 months, but anyway no one will stop you), and renting a small car will cost you about 1800-2000 in a monthly basis.
- Bank Account: Impossible
- Mobile Phone: You can using your passport directly from the airport offices
- Renting a House: You can also (i did it before), at least some will accept.

You said that your allowance is about 13,000 SR per month, i understand that this amount is separate from the basic salary, if so this is a very good amount to spend here

Well in a nutshell sounds like it more of an inconvience then any excessive cost, maybe alittle, but managable. Anyone know what a decent extended stay hotel goes for. When I look up hotels they only give daily rates that are somewhat prohibitive for any long term stay.

Thanks

I stay in furnished serviced apartment and pay 2800SR per month. They are everywhere and you basically strike a deal on arrival and the longer you commit to the cheaper it gets.

PMUSA wrote:

I know they say I will have to leave the country every 30 days while on the business visa.

If you are a US passport holder, then you will most likely receive a 5 year business visa with a duration of stay of 6 months.  So no need to exit the country every 30 days.

houstonian wrote:
PMUSA wrote:

I know they say I will have to leave the country every 30 days while on the business visa.

If you are a US passport holder, then you will most likely receive a 5 year business visa with a duration of stay of 6 months.  So no need to exit the country every 30 days.

I am from the US. I am still working on how everything will work, but I have been emailing with another US Cit. that has been working at the compamny since Oct. 2012. The Company is a non saudi international consulting firm that works through- out North Africa & the Middle East and they have an office in Riyadh. What he said they did was is give a 6 month business visa. After they see that you are working out they then renegociate the contract and assign you to the Riyadh office and process your Iqama. He said he was offered the contract and a promotion after 2 months, some people have taken up to 5 months. He said most westerners don't have an issue because it is their methods that are trying to be emulated, instead of telling you what to do they ask you how to do it. He said that while non westerner are for the most part highly qulified, they have a larger learning curve to adapt and learn the western methods.