Getting a work permit/visa in Montreal without a job?

Hello! This is my first post on here, and I'm sure this has been asked before. But I am trying to move to Montreal in a few months and live there for a year to work.  My boyfriend is Czech and got his visa easily through the International Experience Canada program. This program is not offered to Americans so I need to find another way to get there! If anyone has any advice on job placement info or has gone through this process before, I would appreciate any help! I started the application for an outside work visa, but you have to have a job offer first. And I can't get a job offer without a visa... vicious cycle. I'm certified to teach in Texas, but I would be willing to do other jobs in Canada. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hello kristin11.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Do not hesitate to browse the other threads on the Montreal forum and to read the articles on the Work/Work Visas/Labor market in Canada. It can help.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Kristin,

As an American Citizen you can reside in Canada for six months and you don't require a visa enter. Go there for a short while with your boyfriend and look for a job. You will find it much easier to obtain a job and work visa because of the NAFTA agreement.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

william are you sure about that?

It is always best to first secure a job placement first - if you are an American wishing to come to Canada - there is an American - SA Immigrant Lawyer who maybe able to help - his name is a Mr.Kaplan in Florida - he maybe able to offer some suggestions.

Otherwise it may be in your interests to go through an American Embassy in America and discuss your situation with them first before proceeding to move to Canada and get advises first.