Cost of living

one of the company is offering me job in bangladesh and asking me for the package so i want to know what is the cost of living like food,travel,rent in a medicore way can u pls suggest me some.

Regards
CA NIkhilesh Jain

Hi nikhil123!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Try this website.
www.numbeo.com

Beware the Numbeo website is seriously inaccurate. Especially in regard to the cost of housing, and various other items that are either not applicable to Bangladesh, or not available in Bangladesh. Use it as a very rough guide only.

Hi Nikhil,

Though you are from Kolkata; you may compare with your home town Kolkata. Not much difference between this two cities.

thanks,
Saiful

Nikhil and Saiful,

The cost of accommodation is significantly more expensive than in Calcutta (when comparing the better parts of both cities). The cost of other items such as motor vehicles, alcohol and private education is also a lot more expensive in Dhaka; plus Calcutta also has a far better and less expensive public transport system than Dhaka (taxis, buses and trams).

Cheers,
Shane

Oh...its on my website on the left.

There appears to be a problem with the website i.e., to download the calculator, you need to register, but when I try do so, nothing happens. Then when I try to register again, the system says that I am already registered, and then when I try to log-in, I just get the same registration page again i.e., the system just goes around in a circle.

Finally succeeded in downloading the calculator (had to close the web page and then re-open it, and then sign-in.
Cheers

Unfortunately the figures used in this calculator appear to be very similar to those used in the Numbeo Cost of Living Index website, which for cities such as Dhaka where the cost of living for an expat are grossly different to that of a local. E.g., a meal for 2 at a mid range restaurant in Dhaka will on average cost around $35 to $40, not $18 as contained in the calculator. A meal at a fast food outlet will cost around $10 per person, not $5. With the exception of diplomatic and expat clubs which many expats are unable to access, alcohol (which is only available from a select few 4 and 5 star hotels, is very expensive e.g., $8 for a can of the only locally available beer, or $10 to $12 for a can of imported beer. Wine will cost a minimum of $50 per bottle. A 330ml can of  imported coke or other soft drink will cost about $1.20 from a supermarket, whereas a 250ml can of locally manufactured coke costs about 50cents. A cuppuccino from a local coffee shop (which bares very little resemblance to a real cappuccino), costs around $1.50 (as stated in the table, but if you want a real cappuccino from somewhere such as Gloria Jeans, North End Roasters, Westin Hotel etc. you will pay $3 to $4.

Yeah, the calculator has stated that it take the 2013 year data from Numbeo (read the first page).

Prices is dynamic. What you stated today not necessarily same as tomorrow.

It is just estimator to give you a rough idea. Nowdays, perhaps all the prices are 10% more than last year.

What the difference with the calculator is you can personally input your own spending pattern for a month. Well, not everyone is a wine drinker and a cappucino lover.

I understand your point, but the problem is that the Numbeo website is totally out of touch and very misleading for Dhaka (my guess is that most of the prices are either many years out of date, or have been submitted by locals, which are not in the least representative of the cost of living for the average expat). I should know because I used the Numbeo website as a guide for calculating my cost of living before I moved to Dhaka some 3 years ago, and according to the figures given in Numbeo, my cost of living should have been $12 to $15K per year. However, I soon found out how wrong this was, because my actual living costs are close to $30K per year, which based on my discussions with numerous other expats is pretty average.

Putting aside little luxuries like coffee and alcohol, the biggest difference is accommodation e.g., an apartment in any of the suburbs suitable for expats will cost at least $300 per week for a very basic and not very nice 3 bedroom apartment (1 and 2 bedroom apartments are virtually non existent in these areas). But in reality, if you want something half decent you will be paying upwards of $400 per week (I am paying just over $500 per week, and I am certainly not living in any sort of palace or luxurious surroundings.

shane59 wrote:

....or have been submitted by locals, which are not in the least representative of the cost of living for the average expat)....

I agree with that point. Most the inputs are not from expat, so if its cheaper its probably true but overlooked by the expats. Expats always shop at not the cheapest spot.

It goes much further than not shopping at the cheapest places. Expats won't or in most cases cannot live in the areas that locals can live, hence they need to pay much higher rent prices, expats are unable to eat many of the items that make up the normal diet of locals (hygiene, taste, not knowing what is what or how to prepare etc.), it is extremely difficult for expats to use local public transport (buses, trains etc.) due to extreme cramping, very unsafe, and language difficulties - being able to understand what bus or train to catch). Plus there is the issue of expats being overcharged for many things, just because they are expats and are viewed by locals as being rich.

plz allow me to share real cost for a foreigner based on standard living-

1. accommodation 2 bed room flat non furnished 1000 sft $400 monthly located gulshan/ baridhara area.
2. a car monthly rent $649
3. utility bill like GAS/ Water/ Electricity monthly total $50
4. meal- i can share only based on local fooding- $150 for 2 person.

i guess monthly total $1500 enough.

example- 2 member middle class local family standard living cost in dhaka approx $700 is enough.

anything more?

I absolutely beg to differ.
The availability of 2 bedroom apartments in Gulshan and Baridhara is almost non-existent. An average 3 bedroom unit (1500 to 2000 ft2) in these areas will cost a minimum of $1200 per month.
Monthly cost of water, gas and electricity based on a 4 burner stove and 3 ACs, is around $80 per month
Average cost of groceries per month for 2 people is around $300 per month (based on 75% local goods and 25% imported)

Unless you are prepared to live a very frugal lifestyle, including living in a very basic apartment in a less than desirable part of Dhaka, the absolute minimum monthly living cost would be around $1,800. However, $2,000 per month is a realistic amount to budget per month for 2 people to live in a reasonable standard in Dhaka.

It's quite unbelievable that a city such as Dhaka could be so expensive to live in for an expat. It would be almost double the cost of other nearby cities such as Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur, both of which have far better living conditions, infrastructure, and living choices.

you are right in your posiiton...actually it depend on individual life style. however i gave based on my foreign colleague cost who is living in Briadhara DOHS.

2 person dont need 1500 to 2000 sft flat. my opinion only.
3 bedroom, drawing dining, 3 bath, 3 balcony---- i mean enough space maximum 1350 sft.
you can check in baridhara DOHS area. its very secured zone. and 1350 sft rent is BDT 30000+service charge 3000+utility (GAS 2 burner ok- 450+electricity 2000+water 1000)= approx 37000 BDT equal to USD 480/ it might be maximum $500/

remains based on your life style.

I agree with you in regard to the space required for 2 people, the average size of apartments in Dhaka is stupid. However, due to the ridiculous traffic, and the fact that all of the restaurants, clubs, shopping areas are in Gulshan and Banani, these are the areas most suitable for expats e.g., on a typical Friday night, it would not be uncommon for it to take 30 to 40 minutes to drive the very short distance (1.5km) from the Baridhara DOHS to Banani or Gulshan. Plus, getting to and from work can be even worse (when I lived in Baridhara, it could often take me 20 minutes just to get across the Gulshan Lake bridge. I pay more to live in Gulshan, but at least I can easily walk to do my shopping, or go to a restaurant or club, and my travel time to and from work is easily 30 minutes less than if I were to live in the DOHS. 

My apartment in Dhaka is 2800 ft2, which is twice as big as I need. In comparison I had a 1500ft2 Condo in Bangkok, close to a ferry pier and BTS station which cost me half of what I am now paying, and in a much nicer area.

Hallo Monon and Shane.
What an interesting chat. --
I am looking for a little direction. -- I have been importing product from China for some years and I am now working on the cost associated to manufacturing  {Lets say Teddy Bears} in the Asian region.- My first port of call is Bangladesh as they would have the expertise within the Textile industry I would need.-- But after reading your chat I realize Dhaka may be too expensive, as I would like to keep my cost as low as possible. Perhaps you may be able to suggest a location within Bangladesh that is cheaper with adequate infrastructure. --- I am a non drinker and would live a frugal life stile, focusing on the job at hand.-- If Bangladesh proves to be to expensive then I will look at plan B.   
Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks you from Jason

Jason, Chittagong is a lot less expensive than Dhaka, and it's also where a amount of the textile industry is located, as well as the port. There are also cheap areas in Dhaka, but you will be well away from things such as clubs, better restaurants, shops that cater to expat needs etc. And your accommodation  may not be too flash either, especially in the way of back up power (rolling power outages are a part of daily life in Bangladesh, and make for very hot nights during summer when you have no fans or ACs.

Thank you Shane.
I will look into Chittagong.
I clearly have a lot to learn, but then it all makes life interesting.
Thank you once again.