Planning to move to Almaty in the Summer!

Hi, I am from the UK and my wife is Russian, we have 2 young children 2 & 8, where should we be renting an apartment to be close to shops & Schools as well as the expat community and of course remaining safe?.  We are currently in Cairo and have been her for 2 years prior to which we lived in Russia for 4 years, I can also speak Russian.

UKAndy

Hello UKAndy.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

So as to make it more visible, your post has been moved to the Almaty forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

I would suggest the best area for you guys is Samal for expat community and access to shops in the city centre.  Samal 1,2 & 3 covers a large area close to the mountains also known as Medeu.  But the good International schools are mostly located in the Southern and Western part of Almaty.

hi andy, great to here, i lived in cairo for 14 years and worked there as an english teacher.now i live in almaty , am originally from kazakstan, what is your wife's name? may be i know her

Hi,
as for schools, please check for-  haileyburyalmaty.kz/ and miras.kz/
But if you will prefer education in russian then you can choose strong  municipal school-gymnasium. 
For flat it will be better to find a real estate agency, but i don't know any. The most nice location is south- east  part of the city and then south west.
Also, I will advise to became a member of almatyclub.org/ and the members from this club will help you with advises better than I am.
regards
Madina