Bringing my family to Tripoli

Hi-
I may be taking a job in Libya which would last a year or two. Is it safe to bring my family (wife, 2.5 year old and 4 month old baby). Are the expats in Libya generally without their dependents? Would it be safe to bring my family along? Would they be OK going out on their own in the city during the day while I work?
Thanks!

Not at this point in time. I love to be optimistic but reality is that its generally safe during the day but not 100%. It also depends how they will be going out during the day time with or without a company driver, if they go out with a local company driver then you don't have to worry about them being safe but if they plan to go out by themselves via taxis or other means of transport then its a big NO GO!

If you have the personal transport then not a big deal. Libya is safe than most of the countries with political problems.

Source: been there with family and travelling again.

dear friend.
its very risky to bring your family in Libya at this moment.
Almost all companies they dont allow this especially that you have a child 4 months.
you must have driver(driving is crazy here) and a safe residence for you and your family(in case that you take the risk).

Hell stay  where you are....moving to lybia is like beeing blown back to stoneage....

Before the latest news about rape of two Brits in front of their father I was considering brining my family, but now i am in a doubt. If you can provide armed security 24hours for your family then it is safe.

where will you be posted? Benghazi where the rape happened seemed to have lots of problems. While there are incidents in Tripoli, from what I know, hear and read these are all targeted at specific individuals. I was here before the Revolution and have been back since Nov 2011 without incident.

It is calm in my area (I live in the city center). My husband and I have felt no threat to safety. There is also at least one women's group with women that are both Libyan and foreign with women of all ages of which I am a member -- it's a source of a lot of info and would give your wife a chance to connect with other women. I believe they are setting up moms and kids groups as well, but am not certain.

The condition here in Tripoli is unpredictable. It is better to move in first and check if it is safe for you and your family to stay here. If u ask me, it is better to wait one more year when they have already elected officials.

Hi m0j0
Please could you post or message me details of the women's group. I'm in Tripoli and I didn't know there was one.

http://www.libyaherald.com/2013/04/09/o … -in-libya/
the lack of security and fear of an attack on its employees as the main reasons of the decision

hi sir,how r u.
i am from india, i have got offer of 3600 doller in sbea.tripoli.
may i know how much i can save after monthly expenses including rent, i have family of three.
thanks in advance.

This is a Club for moms and kids, if you have any: https://www.facebook.com/caffepelose?ref=hl
And this is the group the other expat was talking about: https://www.facebook.com/IWILibya
Both are great places for expat women to meet, one caters to mommies that want to play with their kids without harassment (no men allowed), the other is for women to network and get to know each other, it's really friendly and they do great activities around Tripoli. Enjoy!