Hi Friends - Need Help

Dear Freinds,

I am YK from Mumbai India. I will be moving to Jakarta as an expat soon in 1-2 months. I will be getting salary of USD 2800/Month(net in hand after income tax). I will be staying with family of total 5(self,wife, one 13 year child, mother & father). The house, car & school fees will be paid by my employer. I need your advise whether salary of USD 2800/month would be sufficient to live comfortable life & would I be able to save some good amount of money(my life style is not too lavish, I mean no more party's, no much drinking & not too much outside eating).

Could you please advise me & help me urgently so that I can take final decision to move to jakarta. I would appreciate fast reply.

Best Regards
YK

Hi YK, I am jerren, I am pretty sure with d amount of salary that your employer provide should be enough in jakarta. [Moderated: Communicate by PM pls]

Hi YK,

2800/month is around Rp28,000,000 give or take. Since the car, school fees and house is already taking care of, USD2800 for 5 people is little bit more than enough. Depending on your lifestyle, you might be able to save a bit.
For example, I'm too a working professional, 24yo and tend to go out on weekends (Car and house are taking care of) and probably would spend around $500 a month to occasional shopping spree, coffee breaks, occasional fine-dining, eating out, watch movies, and other miscellaneous. 

So let's say everyone in your family spend 500 each (which I doubt) that's $2500, You still have a bit to save.

Cheers, VL

Hi YK,

I think you will do just fine. Basically you will just need to spend on meals and entertainment. How about health insurance for 5 people? Medical things can be very expensive in Jakarta.
English speaking maid salary will be about 200 USD or bit more since it is 5 of you then the maid can also cook for your family.

Dear Warda,
Thank you so much for your help & useful information. I appreciate this. Health insurance for self, my wife & daughter shall be taken care by my company. Health insurance of my parents shall be taken care by me. Good suggestion on house maid. My life style is not very lavish / high. I would prefer comfortable life style. May be we all (family of 5)go out for dinner/hotel eat out once in a week. May be one outing (sight seeing)once in a month. Our main focus shall be on saving money. Kindly giude me whether I will be able to save with this salary in Jakarta.

Do reply. Hopefully see u soon in Jakarta.

Thanks again & bye for now
YK

Hello VinaL,
Thank you so much for your help & useful information. I appreciate this. Health insurance for self, my wife & daughter shall be taken care by my company. Health insurance of my parents shall be taken care by me. Good suggestion on house maid. My life style is not very lavish / high. I would prefer comfortable life style. May be we all (family of 5)go out for dinner/hotel eat out once in a week. May be one outing (sight seeing)once in a month. We would not be doing too much unnecessary shopping. Shopping shall be for essential things. More on food items, fruits & daily essentials etc. Our main focus shall be on saving money. Kindly giude me whether I will be able to save with this salary in Jakarta.

YK

Hello Jerren,
Thank you so much for your help & useful information. I appreciate this. Health insurance for self, my wife & daughter shall be taken care by my company. Health insurance of my parents shall be taken care by me. Good suggestion on house maid. My life style is not very lavish / high. I would prefer comfortable life style. May be we all (family of 5)go out for dinner/hotel eat out once in a week. May be one outing (sight seeing)once in a month. We would not be doing too much unnecessary shopping. Shopping shall be for essential things. More on food items, fruits & daily essentials etc. Our main focus shall be on saving money. Kindly giude me whether I will be able to save with this salary in Jakarta.

YK

Hi YK

Talking about money...just depend on your lifestyle.
As we know Jakarta is a big city with many habits of people.
But I think 2800 USD mountly enough for living in Jakarta as we always in good health (hope so).
Remember one thing...if you and your family want to go shopping, dont go to the exlusive mall like Plaza Indonesia because so expensive there. A lot of mall here with so many choices like traditional market Tanah Abang to buy clothes :) or Mangga Dua etc.
Oiyaaa...crowded traffic here in work days, so you must be patient if you want to go everywhere that time :)

Hope...you will enjoy in Jakarta

-nining-

2800 US$ should be enough since everything else is taken care of by your employer. You should be able to save most of your salary each month and still able to go out for dinners and entertainment sometimes. You'd spend around 30-200 US$ for a dinner out with your family, depends on the restaurants you're going to, but average price for food is pretty cheap here.

Welcome to the Big Durian and enjoy your stay and your family :)

Annie

Hi YK,

Like Vinal said I spend around $500 a month as well. Approx 5Mill IDR. And includes the occasional going out and having a good night out.

I tend to stay away from western restaurants as they do tend to be pricy (but hey you in Indonesia and the food here is great... maybe a big high in carbs but great nevertheless).

Lunch: $1.8 - $5
Dinner: $2-5.5
Cheaper if you decide to make it yourself at home and buy from local markets.

As for the maid, a little over $200 a month sounds right

Have you thought about internet and mobile phones? Something that you might want to consider. I generally use about $60-80 on my mobile a month, but it also acts as my internet connection. Just be aware, Jakarta internet speeds are not that crash hot.

Anyways, hope that helps!

Caz

Hi to all my friends in Jakarta. Thanks for your valuable advise & suggestions so far. I am quite concerned about one more important topic which is health insurance for my parents(as health insurance for me, my wife & daughter shall be taken care by my company). But for my parents I have to take care. My father age is 72 years & mother is 65 years old. Is the medical expenses very high in Jakarta? Could you please advise me best health insurance providing company's in Jakarta. How much would it cost for complete health insurance coverage for my parents? Could please advise whether I should take the insurance for parents in India or should I take it at Jakarta? How much it would cost me per year(I mean premium). Which are the good medical health insurance company's in Jakarta? I want the cashless insurance policy for my parents.

Please guide me on this as I am quite worried for my parents health.

Awaiting your quick response friends.

Dear Friends,
Need your quick help & reply on one more important topic. I am planning send my household belongings in one box by Air Freight from Mumbai India to Jakarta. I need to know which of the food items allowed to send with out any problems or hasles at customs( like Rice, Indian spices, Tea powder etc)

Kindly advise me which food items are permitted to send by Air freight & which items are not allowed or prohibited.

Please reply quickly. I would appreciate it.

Best Regards