Single Lady retiring to Panama

Hi Patti, what parts of Panama did you research?  How is the Medical situation in Ecuador?  What part of Ecuador have you relocated to and do you speak Spanish?

Thanks for all replies.

Charlene

Hi, Charlene
I am not actually relocated yet.  Still have home and other assets to liquidate and am in that process.
I plan to be in the coastal area of EC (Bahia de Curaquez, Salinas) September and October of this year for my first "on the ground" look.  However, I am in contact with many expats in the area and ask lots of questions.  Nothing takes the place of first hand look though.  I am told many people take medical vacations to Cuenca and have heard great reviews regarding the medical.  I actually plan to have dental work done while there this fall.
Re Panama... I was also looking at the coastal area there, Las Tablas, Pedasi.  My budget is a primary concern to me.  Being single I only have one income.
Where are you in your relocation process?  What area are you looking at?

Best to you
Patti

Hello Patti,

I, too, am a single lady, and am looking to retire in Panama. My quest for information just began. Retirement is another 6yrs out for me...if I wait that long.

This is the first site that I've joined in my search for info. As I find other single women who plan to move/have moved there, I will inform you...please do likewise.

Anna

Hello Nystp,

I am following your posts, Patti's, Auntie Flo's and John's. This being my 2nd day on this site, I have to say that your statement,

"I happen to love the ocean; love the possibility of living among the people of Panama, not in a gated community, or a community made up exclusively of expats. Living in an area with less rainfall, less mold; a lower cost of living, and respect for the heritage of Panama and Panamanians, is the place I would prefer to be" 

is similar to what I posted (I think in my profile), stating that I wish to live among the people of the land...not hidden away in an expat compound.

There's yet a few years till my retirement, so I'm just beginning my search for information.  I will wait another year or two (things can be drastically different then)before taking a trip to Panama.  This will allow me time to learn the language....right now I know very basic requests.

Would be nice if you can share some pictures of the land and sites that you visited.

Thanks much,
Anna

new_soil wrote:

Hello Patti,

I, too, am a single lady, and am looking to retire in Panama. My quest for information just began. Retirement is another 6yrs out for me...if I wait that long.

This is the first site that I've joined in my search for info. As I find other single women who plan to move/have moved there, I will inform you...please do likewise.

Anna

Good luck in your journey. It will be a fascinating one!
There are also some excellent expat groups on Facebook 

Patti

Where in CA? I'm currently in Santa Rosa visiting family. But, we are in Panama most of the time. My blog has a lot of pictures and stories about our excursions there. http://thepanamaadventure.com/information.html#Places  Here are links to some places we've been too.

I agree about learning the language and living with the locals. They are the most warm, friendly, welcoming, and helpful people you'll ever meet.

Kris

new_soil wrote:

Hello Nystp,

I am following your posts, Patti's, Auntie Flo's and John's. This being my 2nd day on this site, I have to say that your statement,

"I happen to love the ocean; love the possibility of living among the people of Panama, not in a gated community, or a community made up exclusively of expats. Living in an area with less rainfall, less mold; a lower cost of living, and respect for the heritage of Panama and Panamanians, is the place I would prefer to be" 

is similar to what I posted (I think in my profile), stating that I wish to live among the people of the land...not hidden away in an expat compound.

There's yet a few years till my retirement, so I'm just beginning my search for information.  I will wait another year or two (things can be drastically different then)before taking a trip to Panama.  This will allow me time to learn the language....right now I know very basic requests.

Would be nice if you can share some pictures of the land and sites that you visited.

Thanks much,
Anna

I live in the San Joaquin Valley (Merced County). However I am a native San Franciscan...moved to Merced in 1997.

Your blog has been very interesting, I truly appreciate your posting the detailed monthly expenses, budget, etc..

Though I live in a place that gets very hot, and can also be humid...I must have air conditioning...otherwise I get sick from the heat.  I would love to move near to the ocean, or at least a short bus/taxi ride to it.

Well my quest has just began. I will continue to read, write, and ask questions.

Thank you

Ahh OK. I'm not familiar with your area, but I sure love San Francisco.

If you don't like the heat, you might consider a higher elevation like Boquete or Volcan where it's cooler. It would be farther from the beach, but it's hot enough at the beach you would need A/C.

There are a lot of wonderful places in this country and we're just starting to explore. We really liked the Boca Chica area, and if you like a Caribbean type place, Bocas del Toro is really beautiful.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed my blog :)

Kris

new_soil wrote:

I live in the San Joaquin Valley (Merced County). However I am a native San Franciscan...moved to Merced in 1997.

Your blog has been very interesting, I truly appreciate your posting the detailed monthly expenses, budget, etc..

Though I live in a place that gets very hot, and can also be humid...I must have air conditioning...otherwise I get sick from the heat.  I would love to move near to the ocean, or at least a short bus/taxi ride to it.

Well my quest has just began. I will continue to read, write, and ask questions.

Thank you

Kris,

For a point of reference, Merced County is 1-hour north of Fresno, CA. As an example of how hot it already is getting....Thurs thru Sunday temps will range from 90 to 104 degrees F.

Anna

Hi

I am interested in Panama I am also on my own and would like as much info as possible on cost of living etc

New_soil,
I just now saw the message you had addressed to me, sorry for the delay getting back to you.  I have been researching panama for about 3 years and will be making my third trip, for 3 weeks, in June.  I have pretty much decided on moving to the Azuero peninsula but this time I will be traveling with my sister.  She wants to see more of panama so we will be covering the country from San Blas (Guna Yala) to Santa Catalina.

Not sure how it works on this forum but if I can figure out how to send and receive private messages, we could exchange email addresses and I could send updates and photos of my trip.  My house is SOLD.  I'm on the short list for making a more permanent move. 
Nystp

That's hot! You might find the beach areas of Panama perfect if you are used to those temperatures.

new_soil wrote:

Kris,

For a point of reference, Merced County is 1-hour north of Fresno, CA. As an example of how hot it already is getting....Thurs thru Sunday temps will range from 90 to 104 degrees F.

Anna

If you click on someone's name next to their post it will take you to their profile. Then, look for the "send a message" spot below the picture.
indacampo.wordpress.com/  This is a blog of someone living in the Azuero Peninsula that you might find interesting.

Kris

Nystp wrote:

New_soil,
I just now saw the message you had addressed to me, sorry for the delay getting back to you.  I have been researching panama for about 3 years and will be making my third trip, for 3 weeks, in June.  I have pretty much decided on moving to the Azuero peninsula but this time I will be traveling with my sister.  She wants to see more of panama so we will be covering the country from San Blas (Guna Yala) to Santa Catalina.

Not sure how it works on this forum but if I can figure out how to send and receive private messages, we could exchange email addresses and I could send updates and photos of my trip.  My house is SOLD.  I'm on the short list for making a more permanent move. 
Nystp

I am a single lady and have been checking into Panama, Guatemala and Ecuador. I am afraid of inflation eating away in Panama, Ecuador looks promising. I love volcano views but don't want to be too high in the mountains cause it gets a little chilly.  Guatemala really has my attention due to Lake Atitlan. Climate is my main focus with cost of living and of course safety. I want a climate 65-75 degrees,low humidity year around but i want somewhere that expats aren't over running the place as that tends to drive prices up.  I hope to live on around $800-900/mo.  Cotacachi Ecuador would be nice.  There is a beautiful new build there, 3000/sq feet, for $125000.

Oh no, Kris I am not at all used to the temps here...I endure them.
My ideal temperature range is 70 to under 90 degrees F. with mild to mid-range% of humidity.

Anna

kristc99 wrote:

That's hot! You might find the beach areas of Panama perfect if you are used to those temperatures.

new_soil wrote:

Kris,

Anna

Want to retire where life is easy and affordable.  Love everything having to do with nature!  Have read other people's experiences in Panama and want to try it out.

Start learning Spanish, and book a trip down to visit. We've found it easy and affordable, and we're very happy here. Maybe it will work for you too :)

Kris

dk5752 wrote:

Want to retire where life is easy and affordable.  Love everything having to do with nature!  Have read other people's experiences in Panama and want to try it out.

Hi My friend, I'm leaving the US in August if all goes well.  I'm still researching but have narrowed it down to 3 areas.  Will tell you more in a little while.  Off to bed tonight... I'm tired.

Char

Try this one.

Hi, your information was quite informative.  I'm a single woman wanting to move to Panama.  I have no idea as of yet where to live.  I also would like to find a little job... part time or full.  I know that maybe difficult, but I must try.  I have to keep my expenses low due to my income at this time.  I'm 65 so I get medical insurance almost free.  I do take a narcotic for my chronic migraine.  I'm concern weather I will be able to get this medicine i Panama.  If you can give any information on my email, I would greatly appreciate.

charlenecharles21[at]gmail.com

Hi-I'm a single lady wanting to live in David or Boquete part-time.  Would like to meet single people,  male or female who
are interested in the same.

Try this one.

Hi, your information was quite informative.  I'm a single woman wanting to move to Panama.  I have no idea as of yet where to live.  I also would like to find a little job... part time or full.  I know that maybe difficult, but I must try.  I have to keep my expenses low due to my income at this time.  I'm 65 so I get medical insurance almost free.  I do take a narcotic for my chronic migraine.  I'm concern weather I will be able to get this medicine i Panama.  If you can give any information on my email, I would greatly appreciate.

Can anyone reply to my note?

Thanks.

Charlene

Hi,yes ladies meet but I have not been to the meeti.g for single ladies
I  have been here 2 days looking for an. Apt.

More an more women travel alone today.  It's hard to find someone who is ready when you.  Are ready.

Happy traveling
M

[moderated: no free ad on the forum.Pls use the business directory.]

Hi

I live in Ottawa, Canada and am hoping to retire (early) in about 4-5 years.

I am a single woman and have been looking into Panama as my retirement haven, but have to admit I'm a little afraid of the unknown.  I will have a lot of questions and doing a lot of reading about retirement overseas right now.  I am new to this type of forum, but I think it is helpful so far.

However, I am reading mixed messages about Panama, some good and some bad. 

So far I'm looking at Las Tablas or Panama City.  I don't like the cold so I'm not sure the mountains would be right for me. Transportation is important to me.  Just concerned about having to go through getting a new drivers license after having my Canadian one for 35 years. 

A friend told me I should apply (in Canada) for an international drivers license.  Does anyone know if that would suffice in Panama?

Also, I'm hearing mixed messages about the cost of shopping.  Some are saying that there are two prices.  One price for locals (which is less) and one price for foreigners/expats (which is more). Can anyone comment on this?

Sylvie

Of course people will charge you more if they think they can. it's just human nature. Learn Spanish, make friends with local people, and they can give you good information on what are fair and appropriate prices. If you are talking about the supermarket or buying a pair of jeans, it's like up north. The prices are marked on the items and that is what you will be charged at the cash register.

Come visit! Spend some times here. Half of what you read may not be accurate, or true for you. You really have to see for yourself.

You can become a resident and then you can get a drivers license. These things, like most things, are just a bunch of steps, paperwork, hoops to jump though. Meanwhile your license is good for 90 days, and your passport/visa for 180. (I imagine it's the same for Canada as the USA)

Your main concerns should be - do you like the country? the people? the culture? the way of life? What kind of life do you want to make for yourself here, and is that realistic? Will you be happy here? This is not Canada. It will be different. There will be many unknowns. That's part of the experience, the adventure.

You really have to come here. I can tell you all day long that it's wonderful and we love it but that's our reality. It may or may not be yours.

Kris

Vie1961 wrote:

Hi

I live in Ottawa, Canada and am hoping to retire (early) in about 4-5 years.

I am a single woman and have been looking into Panama as my retirement haven, but have to admit I'm a little afraid of the unknown.  I will have a lot of questions and doing a lot of reading about retirement overseas right now.  I am new to this type of forum, but I think it is helpful so far.

However, I am reading mixed messages about Panama, some good and some bad. 

So far I'm looking at Las Tablas or Panama City.  I don't like the cold so I'm not sure the mountains would be right for me. Transportation is important to me.  Just concerned about having to go through getting a new drivers license after having my Canadian one for 35 years. 

A friend told me I should apply (in Canada) for an international drivers license.  Does anyone know if that would suffice in Panama?

Also, I'm hearing mixed messages about the cost of shopping.  Some are saying that there are two prices.  One price for locals (which is less) and one price for foreigners/expats (which is more). Can anyone comment on this?

Sylvie

Thanks Kris for your thoughts.  I am planning to visit in summer 2014.  Have picked up some books on learning Spanish and finding it difficult.  However, I have a friend who has expressed an interest in joining me for a visit there and she is Spanish (originally from Spane).

Thanks again
Sylvie

Excellent :) I on another post that you have travel plans, and I hope you have a great visit.

Learning another language is really hard and takes time! Every little bit helps though, and the locals really appreciate that you are trying.

Kris

Vie1961 wrote:

Thanks Kris for your thoughts.  I am planning to visit in summer 2014.  Have picked up some books on learning Spanish and finding it difficult.  However, I have a friend who has expressed an interest in joining me for a visit there and she is Spanish (originally from Spane).

Thanks again
Sylvie

Hi, I am also a single woman, from Ottawa Canada, looking at the possibility of retiring early and in Panama within the next 4-5 years.  I have enjoyed reading the messages in this forum and am hoping to go for a visit in summer 2014.  Las Tablas interests me so far as I'd like to be near the beaches.

Any information of living in that area would be great

Sylvie

You can start a business there but you can't work there.  Also check out listings for roommates, nice homes/apts available in Panama City.

Hi Patti,

Was cost the only reason you changed your mind about retiring in Panama? Let me know what you think about Ecuador after your visit.  We were looking at Panama and now Ecuador may be a better option.

jgkrstic wrote:

Hi Patti,

Was cost the only reason you changed your mind about retiring in Panama? Let me know what you think about Ecuador after your visit.  We were looking at Panama and now Ecuador may be a better option.

​I just came back to Panama after spending 2 months in Ecuador. As much as I am a beach person, I didn't care for Salinas and the beaches. Dark clouds everyday, I believe I saw the sun three times in a month. Salinas was like a ghost town in June. Only one larger grocery store in the whole city. Quito and Cuinca is much nicer, but to cold for me, especially at night. The public transportation in both cities is excellent and .25 cents will take you all over the city. Both cities are very clean and people were pretty friendly. After Ecuador I visited Peru and couldn't wait to return back to Panama. For me it doesn't compare.

Hi there, guess you are not alone in that demographic.  I considered Panama but have decided on Costa Rica.  I plan on going within the next 8 months but still looking at which part I want to settle in.  Female - single and ready to move.

Hi.  I have a few months until I retire from a foreign policy related job int he USG and I am exploring part time living abroad.  Just found this site so I have no insights to share but I will probably visit Panama in the next six months to check it out.  I, too, am single and very comfortable moving around alone, having visited many, many countries in the past forty years.  Hope to gain insights into a possible part time ex pat life.  thanks.

Hi marica55, thanks for the feedback on Ecuador.  I have been going back and forth on whick country.  I am planning a trip to Panama March or April next year for three weeks.  After much research, I plan to check out the areas that I believe I would like to live.  I think the following year, I want to check out Ecuador that way I can compare the too.  On the other hand, maybe, I will love Panama and therefore, no need to look any further.

What area do you live in?  I want to check out the Boquete (outskirts), David and Volcan area preferably the countryside.  I may go to Boca del Toro for a few days to check out the Caribbean side.

We should form a singles women's club..."Single women expats" I'll organize it!
Lady's..give me your feed on it.

I am in Gorgona area, next to Coronado. I would love to meet up with you when you get here.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

I'm a single lady heading down in December. I couldn't be more excited. You will find other singles when you arrive. Feel free to email me directly.
Karen

Hi. I would say forget taking a course. 9 times out of 10, the pace will be either too slow or too fast for you. Rosetta Stone is the best if you can afford it (it will probably be less than any course if you go for all levels). I thing there are 5 levels for Spanish, well worth it. Do not pay full price. They are constantly advertising specials, so get their no. from the internet, call and tell them you heard there is a special of about $200 off list (they send me these notices really often so they are a little desperate to sell, in my opinion). I am fairly sure they will sell for that. If not, you can call back later and ask again. Don't let them know you are that interested, of course. You must learn to regatear (dicker).
Perhaps you can try to come down with someone else who speaks Spanish, or meet up with someone who is willing to meet with you at times to help you out with the language obstacles.
Or maybe someone on this board knows of an expat group that meets regularly. (Anyone?)
I wish you all the best!

I forgot to mention I have a fairly complete list of dos and don'ts for moving here and navigating the legal system for permanent residency. Just email me at zoilandon [at sign] msn.com with HEY DON in the subect line (that way I won't overlook it) and I will send you this list, free of course.
First tip: Don't try sending your car. I had a car worth maybe $10,000 or less and paid about $3000 tax on it plus shipping. Bad move!