Opening a Pre- School

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help me with information about starting a pre school in Bahrain.

Do I need a Bahraini partner?
What taxes would I be looking at?
How easy or difficult would it be?

Thanks everyone

Hello there,

I do not have the exact answers to your questions, but Bahrain Economic Development Board and Ministry of Industry and Commerce may have some basic information about starting a business in Bahrain.

Sunnsand I thought you were moving to Malaysia :)

well to be honest I am in the process of looking at different options. Have been reading that for Malaysia I would need plenty of cash which is out of my reach. Therefore I was also considering Bahrain as its a country I've lived in for a while.

Where are you at the moment? Your path trail says Kenya? Bahrain has lots of playgroups etc and the government are locking down on expats starting their own businesses at the moment. I think the only way you would get approval is if you agreed to employ over 60% of local Bahrain nationals as the numbers have dropped and the government are getting worried.

Just wish the UK followed this procedure :-)

I'm actually living in the UK at the moment but am tired of the daily grinding. No time to really appreciate life.

There is a lot to go through before moving abroad, especially to a place like Bahrain. I suggest you look through our guide first and do a lot of research.

Expat Guide

You have to be sponsored to come here so you may find it very difficult to just pack up and move

Hi, Its been a while since I logged on. Hoping to visit Bahrain in November specifically to do a feasibility study. Josnuggles you mentioned getting a visa to visit does this apply for UK citizens too?
Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you all.
sunnsand

sunnsand wrote:

Hi, Its been a while since I logged on. Hoping to visit Bahrain in November specifically to do a feasibility study. Josnuggles you mentioned getting a visa to visit does this apply for UK citizens too?
Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you all.
sunnsand

Hi

Yes everyone needs a visa of some sort or other.

Residency

Visit

Work etc

As British citizens we get a 3 month visit visa

You need to apply online (to make life easier) but if not you can get your visa at the airport

You will need

Address where you are staying in Bahrain

Return or ongoing flight from Bahrain within those 3 months ( I make it up!!)

BD5 for the visa

Visit http://www.evisa.gov.bh/ for more details

Don't mention the word working or business if coming here on a visit visa

Thanks you're such a great help. Do you think there will be a problem getting the visa on arrival? Would you suggest I get it online?
sunnsand

I would always say do it online so you have it in your hand.

Speeds up the process too.

Shouldn't be a problem doing it at customs but...

Make sure you find a disembarkation card and fill it out before you get to customs otherwise you are sent away to fill it in.

thanks will do. Thanks for taking the time to write. Don't know if you know much about pre-schools there?
sunnsand

No problem. I don't know too much about pre-school but a lot of mums on here will (my youngest is 12!!)

Or you could post on Mum's in Bahrain for more info

From what I have heard... opening a business abroad (not Bahrain) and then opening a branch of that business here seems to work well as you get your visas all sorted in one.

This only what some people have told me though and not personal experience so research well if this is what you may want to do.

sounds like a good idea opening a branch but finances may not allow it. I will try on mum's in Bahrain and see how it goes. Once again thanks for your precious time.
sunnsand

A branch on paper only...

Great advice from Josnuggles as always - just remember if you are applying online they may only give you 2 weeks but if you apply on arrival you will get 3 months - obviously depends on how long you want to stay.

I am the mum of a recently turned 4 year old. 

What I see here is a lack of decent nursery care for very young children.  There are lots and lots of pre-schools who deal with 2-4 age range from 8am to 12pm but not much for those mums with small children who need to work all day from babies upwards.

The trend in this country is to send your children to Pre-School as young as possible so you have your "me time" regardless of whether you work or not.  But for those who really need to work and have decent childcare it's really difficult.

The issues you will face here are cost.  When someone can hire a maid to look after their baby for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for £350 a month, you may find it hard to persuade them to pay more money for nursery care.

Personally, I think a nursery along the lines of BusyBees etc that we have in the UK that is regulated and properly managed is an excellent idea and worth the money - I certainly would have gone to work here and allowed my little one to attend something like that but never felt comfortable leaving him with some strange person with no back up if anything went wrong.

Just my opinion but hope it helps a bit.

Sorry for the late reply, have been working odd hours. Thank you Josnuggles for your great advice, Brightonguy thanks for the links  which I intend to read this Monday on my full day off. Scottrace thanks for giving me more ideas to work on. The idea of starting a Daycare as well as a Pre school is appealing in order to reach out to a far wider market though the intention is to start very small.

I have googled many of the Preschools available in Bahrain and I have realised that I do not want to charge such high fees nor just reach for a certain group of people.

You see I used to live in Bahrain and those were some of the best years of my life. My idea is to give back to a country that was so good to me and my family. Hence the idea of a little school with lots of great amenities just like what is available there but not within reach for many and also not too expensive.

Let me know what you all think of this idea. Once again thank you all for your time and guidance.

sunnsand

I think the idea sounds great and if you market it properly, you won't have many issues finding your audience. What I think is lacking in schools here is Arabic lessons for expats' kids. If you find an experienced teacher who can handle such youngsters, this would be a great initiative.

Thanks Brightonguy that is a great idea to work on. I feel I'm already making good progress. If i think of anything else I will definitely ask all of you, you have all been so wonderful and open. Once again thanks. Will keep you posted and if anyone thinks of anything else please let me know.