Information on learning Portuguese

Hello to all.  My husband and I will be visiting Curitiba in October 2013 and then again in late 2014.  We have been considering moving there, as we have a sister church in Curitiba.

We would like to start learning Portuguese as soon as possible.  We considered Rosetta Stone, but were really wondering if anyone has any references with online courses and/or tutors.

We appreciate any links or information you may have!

Many Thanks,
Sandee

Hi Sandee,

While CDR/DVD based language software, online courses and the like are terrific adjuncts to language education; as a teacher and someone who also has learned Portuguese I can tell you that nothing takes the place of actual classroom learning. One aspect that is often ignored outside of the classroom setting is the cultural aspects of the new language, its effects on the grammar, pronunciation and just the way the language is spoken. This is something that is best taught by a native speaking teacher. The culture of any society plays a very important role in shaping the language of that population, believe me.

In a city as large as Atlanta I'm sure you will be able to find a number of language schools that offer a Brazilian Portuguese course. Look for one that has a native Brazilian teacher if at all possible. The formal training will give you the foundation you need for learning the language, use the other modalities in order to expand and improve on that learning. That's exactly what I did when I learned the language and arrived here in Brazil after 8 months speaking fluently.

Another tip that I will give you, which also is something I did, is to enter into the local Brazilian community and participate in their cultural activities. Atlanta surely has a Brazilian Cultural Society or something similar, join it. If you can find a churh that has a predominantly Brazilian congregation and holds services in Portuguese that's wonderful too. Chances are the more personal contact you have with Brazilians there at home the more contacts you will begin to build up here in Brazil as well, long before you arrive. It's always nice to already have some friends here before you arrive, rather than having to start building a social circle from scratch once you get here.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thank you William for the great perspective!  I would love to take formal classes, but with my husband and I both working opposite schedules and caring for our 3 year old, it is not possible. I will certainly look for some Brazilian cultural events here locally for sure! That is a great idea!

We are so blessed to have a church in Curitiba, so we will have "family" helping to break us in.  They are all so warm and excited to have us come. We have met many of the pastors from Brazil, when they have traveled here to the States to visit us.

Thanks again!!!

Sandee,

Have you considered a private teacher who will give classes in your home? This is quite common in teaching languages. No matter what it costs, it's worth every penny.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team