Medication

Does anyone know if there would be any issue with bringing my medication for panic attacks into Paraguay? Thanks.

HI VLynn,

I donŽt know for sure, but I assume that if itŽs prescribed medicine, and in normal quantities, then it shouldnŽt be a problem.  IŽve never seen them searching for pills or anything like that. 

But it might be a good idea to find out if this medicine is available in Paraguay, sometimes even without a prescription.

Julie

Suggestion: Get a copy from your physician of all your prescribed medications. That way you've got something to show if there are questions.

My 89 year old mother has many meds she must take, so we brought two copies from her pharmacist and another from her doctor. Never hurts to be prepared for situations which could develop. She had many pills, capsules and powders and nothing was said either in the states or in Asuncion. In fact I don't think they even looked.

Prepare for all contingencies as far as your medications. They are all available at the pharmacies either by the recognized names or an acceptable substitute. Believe it or not many more medications are sold over the counter in Paraguay including antibiotics and blood pressure medications which will help in times when a dr. can't be seen for a prescription. Another huge plus is that a registered pharmacist can make a house call! Yes, that's right...for special needs like injections. This is not the so called "third world" you've imagined.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I was asking because I read somewhere that I need to obtain a permit for any medications brought into Paraguay.

Also, the medication I use is for anxiety. It`s brand name is Ativan - do you know if they have it available in Paraguay?

I know you are concerned and rightly so. It seems that the brand name is not the same however the drug is available in Paraguay by prescription at most of the numerous pharmacies. They are located almost everywhere in Asuncion and the other larger cities.

For your benefit, as I mentioned...have your doctor or pharmacist give you a list of all of your medications. I did some checking and know a person who also uses a type of this med for anxiety or panic also.

There are good doctors practicing here and an appointment is not expensive compared to what Americans are accustomed to. English speaking physicians are also here in a variety of specialized medical areas and some are educated in America or europe. This is not to say that the local medical schools are not excellent.

When you arrive, my wife and I could make some recommendations based upon our personal experience and those of good friends. She is a native and is bi-lingual and would be glad to help you.

So, settle down and "don't worry,be happy". Just get your info in order so things will transition smoothly for you.

Thank you, caja - this is a relief. I will get in touch if I need any assistance. It will still be quite a while before I end up in Paraguay.