Working "remotely" advice?

Hi everyone-

I'm new to the forum and I have a few questions if anyone can help.  I live in the states and have no immediate plans to permanently move to Guatemala, but would like to plan some “extended stays” of 1-2 months here and there.  I've visited in the past to study Spanish, which is why I'd like to visit once again. 

I've since started an online business here in the US, which is what brings me to my questions.  Any help/insight is appreciated…

1) Do Antigua, Xela, and Atitlan area all have equally “robust” internet infrastructure?  In other words, not constantly going down, crashing, etc. Those are the three cities on my short list of places to stay when I go back, at least initially.  Due to my dependence on a reliable internet connection, I'd likely be seeking a private “landline” where I'd be staying (as opposed to relying on free Wi-Fi from a café, etc.). 

2) If I were to run into any issues with computer hardware while there (or even at worst have to buy a brand new computer), how prevalent are computer retail outlets there?  I'm assuming, based on size, that Xela would offer the most choices in that area?

I suppose the above are my main concerns.  If anyone has tried working remotely (online) from Guatemala, I'd love to hear about your experiences and any thoughts/suggestions.  Thanks.

Tim

Hello Tim.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll be given some advices soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Tim:

This is a question that I have as well, what is the internet like in Antigua? All my business right now is done online, so I would need to continue with super fast and reliable internet services.

DQ

I lived in Esquipulas for 2 years and seldom had a problem with the Internet connection, though it was somewhat slower than in the US.  You will have to wait for the connection to be installed, and don't let Claro sell you the cheaper connection as the equipment is outdated.  For the most part, your only problem will be remembering to pay the bill on time, as they do not send you one.  If not paid on time, it can take a lot of fuss to get it re-connected. 

As with anything, getting something fixed is not always a hard thing to do if you know the right people.  If you are coming to attend school, ask them who repairs their equipment.  Better yet, ask a real estate agent.  I would not purchase equipment in a small town.  Often, they get rebuilds or returned items.  I was told this by a woman who sold them, so I guess it is true. If the outlet caters to the lower income people, and you can make payments, go somewhere else.  The City has a Sears and several high end outlets for electronics, and I would stick to them.  Now ask me about getting ink cartridges. Better learn how to refill them!

I'll tell you that I ended up receiving a PM from a user on this forum, and a helpful response on another forum.

The forum member here that PM'd me lived in Atitlan and did experience difficulty with getting a good, reliable connection in that area.

On the other forum, which is Quetzaltenango-based, a member provided some helpful information about obtaining USB modems.  Apparently "Tigo" is considered one of the better wireless providers.  When I checked their prices, they were surprisingly reasonable, equivalent to about $30-40 for the modem (from what I recall) and about $35/month for service. 

I certainly don't mind using "wireless" if it's my own personal connection.  It's just the public wi-fi that I'd like to avoid for security and quality reasons.  So I'll probably go with a Tigo modem when I get there.

I've since found a blog called unwireme.com and the author works out of Antigua.  He seems to be doing fine, so I think I'll be OK.

Tim

Tim,
I live in Guatemala City and write online for a living. I start work each morning around three am and write until about 10am. I have to start early since my sites I write for are news and sports and need to be fresh. I have been writing online for three years and have NEVER had a problem. I downloaded and upload large files and send huge files to dropboxes in the states and Europe. Prior to this work I had another company for 17 years here in Guatemala and have always used internet without a problem. I always have a back up wireless interent modem ready in case my cable (I get TV cable and internet service as a package) goes down. No problems with internet here and I know in Antigua and Pana the same.

Thanks Guategringo.  I've probably been overly concerned, but (as you know) when you work on online, a good internet connection is literally the umbilical cord connecting you to your livelihood.  It looks like I'll be alright.  Thanks again.

Yes! Thank you Guategringo! I agree with Languagetraveler 100%. I do also utilize the internet for my businesses, and am hoping for no issues -- I don't think there will be any.

Are there choices of cable providers in Antigua? What are our options?

Thank you :)

DQ

TheDQ wrote:

Yes! Thank you Guategringo! I agree with Languagetraveler 100%. I do also utilize the internet for my businesses, and am hoping for no issues -- I don't think there will be any.

Are there choices of cable providers in Antigua? What are our options?

Thank you :)

DQ

There are local providers that run cable into your home and there are other larger companies lile Claro that offer cable, telepone and internet service as a package of two or three. there is also Yego and Japi yego.com.gt/ and soyjapi.com.gt/ I have used yego but not the other but have heard good things about it Japi in spanish sounds like Happy.

I live in San Pedro La Laguna and have internet. Cable and antennas.  Occasionally electricity goes out when there is a storm but it is dependable and reliable and fast. Depends on where you stay. Im telling you this as you can go just about anywhere and get internet unless theres some big problem and it is usually fixed within 24 hours and then you can have a USB backup for tethering. If its a huge concern buy a battery back up in Guatemala in case electricity goes out...But in a year its probably not worked 3 days and I also work online so have a smart phone configured...When you get here figure out how to tether with Tigo or Claro...and yea make sure you stay in a place that has internet that works for you.
The lake is beautiful...Safe travels

Hi Solina11,

Welcome on board :)

Thank you for posting and sharing information with us except the thread here is dated 2013 :)

Feel free to start a new topic with all your questions or maybe interesting experiences you may want to share with us on the Guatemala Forum please :)

Thank you

Maximilien

I also work online and moved from Canada to Panajachel on Lake Atitlan in April. The internet is fine but does cut out a LOT. I get brief outages almost every day: sometimes just a flicker and a reboot, sometimes five minutes. Longer outages happen less frequently but they do happen quite a bit. I wouldn't say that the Internet if truly reliable but I get along fine with my work. Last week a storm took out our Internet cables. It took a few days for them to fix it. Chasing Marbles about that adventure!

A friend who also works online here has both a Claro line and a Tigo stick for backup. For Skype calls with clients, he uses a service that uses both signals at once for the best streaming experience.

Tons of computer stuff everywhere, even in Pana. Xela and Antigua have all the modern stores you would expect. No problems finding computer hardware. The only trick is it's all in Spanish. Bring an extra English keyboard!

I'm moving to a new house next week and having a Claro line put in for Internet. The installation charge is Q700. The monthly charges is Q300. Use xe.com to find out what that is in your currency. :)

Best of luck!

I am a Claro-hater (started in Nicaragua) but their DSL service has been extremely reliable. It has been far more reliable than electricity. The one issue I have is that the router "slows down". (This is a common problem with cheap routers.) If I am doing a lot of transfers I usually have to reboot it every 2-3 days.