Moving to New York

Hi guys

I'm hoping I've come to the right place for some good advice! My hubby and I are hopefully moving to NYC in the next few months on a 2 year secondment via his firm. We were in the city a week ago to check it out as neither of us have been before and LOVE it! We tried to get around as many of the areas of Manhattan as possible, particularly to check out where we might want to live but we're still unsure. We loved Greenwich (but I think it will be too expensive), Chelsea and Soho seemed nice and we were also recommend the Upper West Side?  Since I've been home I've read that Brooklyn is also nice...could anyone advise please?

We are both in our early 30s and looking first and foremost for somewhere safe (as my hubby works long hours and away quite a bit) and not right in the heart of the city but equally not a long commute away either. I will be looking for an additional income when I arrive (I already have my own business) so I don't want to be too far out of the buzz of the city where I'm hoping to meet lots of new friends and have a whole lot of fun!! Exciting :o)

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

Liz x

Hi Liz_T23,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hi, try Brooklyn Heights

Liz,

All of the areas you've already mentioned (Greenwich Village, Chelsea, Soho, Upper West Side) are expensive, and in no particular order. There are always "deals" here and there, but they'll be relative deals, meaning that you might give up on some comfort and not save all that much money.

But from what I can gather, it seems that you both can/will earn a pretty good income, so really the decision is on which neighborhood you'd like the most, and/or what kind of commute to and from work you want to make. You could conceivably also live right in Midtown if you need or want to be in the middle of all the action! You might also want to investigate Roosevelt Island, for an interesting change of pace.

The Outer Boroughs, particularly Brooklyn and Queens, have very nice neighborhoods (and not-so-nice ones to avoid) that can be much cheaper than Manhattan, a bit quieter, and have more of a middle-class or "regular people" feel to them. Oftentimes also the commutes are not any longer from Midtown or Downtown to many of these neighborhoods. Commute times are also often longer to the northern end of Manhattan than crossing over the river into Brooklyn or Queens.

Good luck in finding a place in NYC!

do nodt go to queens or Brooklyn ...Hampton is better

I will recommend you Long Island city, Queens. To start on this area.

Good luck!

Luis chamizas