Relocating to Vanuatu this year

Hi,

Sorry, I just came across this blog and I am taking advantage to ask you some few things. I may be sounded out soon by my bosses whether I would be willing to relocate to Vanuatu this year.
I was wondering if there is any international school in Port Villa for my 11 year old daughter. I need to have a clear picture of life in Vanuatu in order to decide if I must or not accept the job in Vanuatu. It will be a 3 year job. Besides that, I have heard of malaria and dengue risks and my wife is very susceptible to mosquitos. Is there any real danger? Does many people get malaria sick? We are Europeans, currently living in Norway (my wife is Lisbon). My employers will provide for everything in Vanuatu, from house, to staff, etc.

Your answers will be highly appreciated.
Regards
Manuel

Hi Manuel,
Yes, there is a good international school in Port Vila.
There is no Malaria on Efate (Island that Port Vila is on). I have heard of denque but it is not a big issue. We have not found mosquitoes to be a problem.
We are retired and live here by choice for 4 months of the year. It is a beautiful place but I would suggest you make sure you have enough resources to get a break from it every year.
Cheers,
Nick.

Many thanks Nick!
I guess one needs to fly to Brisbanne or any other place in     Aus from time to time...hope is not a long flight.
Best wishes
Manuel

Hello Manuel.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

A new thread has been created from your message on the Vanuatu forum for more interaction.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi , We are moving to Vanuatu in 2 weeks. Have been there many times and think its a great place. My partner will be teaching at the Port Vila International School, it seems like a good school. I think your very lucky to get an opportunity like this with expenses paid for in a place like Vanuatu . What kind of work are you doing??

Hi Manuel,
What an invredible experience if you get the job. Life in Vanuatu is like stepping back in time, 30 - 40 years. We have been here almost 4 years, and there is absolutely no way we will ever leave. The advantages outweigh the disadvantageous 100%.
There is a French school and an English school here.
Malaria????? you didn't say where in Vanuatu you will be transported to, if it's Port Vila, there's no malaria. However, if you are going to some remote island then yes, there maybe malaria. Your wife would be very unfortunate to get dengue, it's currently the wet season here, and no one we know has got dengie. The closer you are to the sea, the less you will get mozzies.
Stop worrying about things that may not ever happen, come and enjoy paradise.