Adopt a child from PNG

My wife and I would like to adopt a child from PNG. We are Australians but live in PNG and will eventually take the child with us back to Australia. Has anyone got any advice about how we can do this? Is it difficult in PNG?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hello Cambodia7.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll be advised by other members soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi,

I have never heard of adoption agencies in PNG. But I believe you can check out local churches or NGO's taking care of women and children. For instance, Port Moresby City Mission. Kaugere Living Light Four Square Church in Port Moresby. You can ask for Ps Arthur. I believe he might assist you accordingly or may have more information regarding your queries. Hope that helps.
Cheers.

Try Check.

Papua New Guinea's Adoption Authority

Office of Child Welfare,
Department for Community Development
Sanbra Haus
P.O. Box 7354
Boroko, NCD
Papua New Guinea
Tel: 675-325-9893

I am okay , but i  had been working in PNG since 2008 . So i want member to submit only.
HTay

Thank you for the reply, I'll give them a call and see what they say. 

The Australian government said we MUST have a court order from the PNG National Court for the adoption, rather than the District court (which is easier here in Tabubil) if we want to bring the child with us to Australia.  If only there were some sort of agent to help!

Cambodia7

Hello,

I hope you are wel. I too would like to adopt from PNG. Have you had any updates? Thank you very much.

Hi Cambodia7,

I see your email is from Feb, 2013 so hope this information is still relevant and helpful for you.
Please consider two websites with basic information which i came across while helping out a friend with adoption stuff in PNG.  adoption.com/wiki/Adopting_from_Papua_New_Guinea; and adopt.com/papua_new_guinea/index.html.

Would love to know how you went and Amy contacts. Would also like to adopt in PNG.

Hi if you are interested in adopting a child from PNG then email me [email protected].

Hi

We have adopted successfully now. Daughter is now an Australian citizen! You need a good lawyer and help from the OCW link above. The OCW are underfunded and their phones don't work all the time. PM me if you need advice.

Regards

Cambodia7

Dear Cambodia,  i am from Kenya and i want to adopt a child. The real parents wants to give her away because they cant afford to raise the baby who is 7months old. Kindly advise on the procedure. Thanks!

Dear Cambodia7,

Congratulations on your successful adoption! I would like to PM you for more information about the process. I am interested in adopting a Melanesian child and would have to go through the OCW in Papua New Guinea. Thank you. And I hope to hear from you soon!

Sure, no problem

Thank you so much! I'm new to the site so I attempted to PM you. If not can you please send me a message? I have to get used to using this site. Again, this means the world to me!

Hi I was  wondering if you are still happy to help people I see your post was from some time ago ?

Hi Rosa
I have emailed you - I hope you can help us

Sure, no problem

Hey, we have a child in our care at the moment - we are friends with his family and they asked us to take him or they were going to give him to another village. We have him already in Australia and we need to commence the adoption process and apply for an Adoption visa what would suggest we do first??? We have had him here with us for 2 years and have been supporting him since birth in 2014 - please help

Given the circumstances you should contact Warner Shand Lawyers in Kokopo ph (675) 982 8605. They should be able to advise you on the process. You will need quite a few documents for the National Court:

1. Home Visit and Report - since you're in Australia you should get advice on who might be a suitable replacement for the PNG Office of Child Welfare who do the home visits there.

2. A signed and properly witnessed permission to adopt from the biological parent/s - wait for the lawyer to prepare the right format.

3. A statement from you about how the adoption occurred.

There could be a few other things depending on your circumstances. Our list was something like this:

a.     Bank Statements
b.     Divorce Order (from previous marriage)
c.     Our Birth Certificates
d.     Our PNG Visas
e.     Passport Bio Pages
f.      Marriage Certificate
g.     Police Clearances (This is not easy - see this: Obtain_Police_Clearance)
h.     3 Character References from family and friends etc
i.      Medical Statements signed by a Doctor for my wife and I

All statements should all be on a PNG Statutory Declaration form.

After you get the PNG National Court Order, get the PNG birth certificate with your names on it as soon as you can. Then apply for the subclass 102 Adoption visa with the Australian High Commission.

Let me know if you need any more information

Thank you so much for all that very helpful information - we have had a Ministerial Intervention granted - our baby is on a Visitor Visa subclass 600 whilst we commence the adoption process and also allows us to apply for another visa whilst our baby is with us - we are thinking we need to apply for the intention to adopt visa - we will contact the person you have advised and we would like to keep in contact with you if you don't mind - it's nice to know someone has had a successful outcome THANK YOU so much :)

HI I have contacted the lawyer in PNG and they said that the last people they help had to pay for someone to come to Australia to do the home visit - and do you mind if I ask how much it cost you - my private email is xxxx
Thanks

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

My husband & our 8 yr old step daughter have applied for Australian perm residency. Unfortunately my step daughter's mother won't grant consent for her to relocate to Australia & my husband wants to apply for sole custody. Can anyone recommend a family lawyer in Moresby and any other advice?

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Please register your services in the business directory.

@Timothy Teine

Advertising is not permitted on the open forum. To contact others please use the message system.
You can also place a free advertisement in the classified section located under handy tools at the top of this page.

Hi ,I can see your post is from long time ago but are you still interested in adopting a  child?

.Hi, congradulations in your new daughter. That's very lovely of you. I am a Papua New Guinean, and I too, want to adopt. I am trying to bring one of my cousins to bring over to Australia, as I am an also an Australian citizen by decent. And I believe adoption is the easiest way, because things get harder after the age of 18. Does anyone have any information on this, and OP, could you please email me to help me through the process. ***
Thank you!

Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : For your own safety please avoid sharing your personal contact details on the forum.

Hi Cambodia,
We are  looking at adopting my niece( from PNG) and bringing her to Australia where my husband and I currently reside.  If you don't mind me asking, what processes or lawyers did you use in PNG to help with your adoption process?

I have been looking everywhere for information and could not find any, so any information you could provide would be very helpful.
Thank You

Have adopted 2 boys from png. They are orphans of my png wife sister. Understand problems in obtaing 102 class visa for the to migrate to Australia is sponsors  (self and wife) are not residing in png.
Anyone experienced this before?
Any ideas?

Hi Rose
Maybe you can help me.
I am in Australia and my wife (png born) and I have adopted her png sisters 2 orphan boys who are in png and png citizens.
I am in the process of preparing their Australian  migration application however the Australian gov guide to child migration says we should be in png to be eligible for kids to get visa 102?
Help?????

see here https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/g … ption-102#

it's the kids who need to be outside of Australia for a subclass 102 visa, not the adoptive parents. Otherwise it would just be a different visa.

Thanks
Now believe 837 visa and either vistors or school visas are way to go using a bridging visa.
Still getting my head around it.
A friend brough child to Australia from png on humanitarian visa.

Hi Cambodia7, can you please let me know your contacts at OCW and which lawyer you used.

Cheers

Marc.

Thanks that's great info. Did you have to attend the national court hearing or was it done without you?.

We used Warner Shand Lawyers in Kokopo ph (675) 982 8605. The lawyer was an expat. We didn't have to attend the court in person - by the time it's gets there it's a formality, all the scutiny is beforehand.

The OCW person we spoke to was Glenda but I can't be sure she's still there anymore. Their office was a bit of a mess and I was saved by a colleague at work in PNG who went there in person to get me help.

Hi,
I am an Australian citizen and am wanting to adopt a child from PNG to Australia. Is this possible? And if so who do I contact or go through?
Thanks!

@rmdent92

Read post#35.

@Cambodia7

hi we are looking at adopting as we also are Australian citizens and have a child in Papua New Guinea we want to adopt .

We currently live in png but would go back to Australia eventually

any info you have would be amazing !!!

thanks

@Cambodia7

thats great that you were successful !

My wife and I are both Australians living in png and were wondering if you had any extra info that you could send us as we are looking at adoption also in png to eventually take back to Australia .

My email is *** if you have any extra info

thanks in advance !

sam

Moderated by Bhavna 11 months ago
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you