HELSINKI- English Speaking Mother Groups?

Anyone know of an English speaking  mothers group?  I am a new mom with a 3 month old girl.  I am living in Central Helsinki. I moved last Spring from New York City.  Any leads would be greatly appreciated, or we can start a group if you're interested!  Thanks.

Welcome on Expat-blog Leahervi!

I have moved the thread on the Helsinki forum.

Good luck
Christine

I am completely new to all this forum/blog stuff. I live in Helsinki and am expecting my first child in May. I am really interested in meeting other mums that speak English. I still don't really know anyone here and would love to make some new friends.

This would interest me also :)

Dear moms, I live in Helsinki area for 1,5 years. I have a son 9 yars old, he is in 2 grade at Finnish school. For 7 years I was a single parent. So, you might say I have some mom's experience. I'm also interested in children psychology and read a lot about this. Thus, I will be happy to join your community and share what I have.

Any advice you could give would be welcome. My baby girl was born about 1 month early and is now nearly 3 weeks. She has generally been a great baby, but we are still trying to get into a routine.

Dear Linzi, I think at the moment any advice can be given only by your doctor. Don't experiment anything unless doctor tells you. Such a small baby - don't think too much about routine. Try to make it as more comfortable as possible for both of you. All that baby needs first months is mother. Three months are usually most difficult, then it will be easier. When my son was newborn I hade a diary where I put all things from feeding time and food I had eaten to his behavior, first smile etc. That can be helpful for you and for doctors in any case. Try to put some low music when she sleeps or going to sleep. I put some classic music. Later it helped my son to fell asleep. And try to keep some procedures as walks or massage, or washing a baby at the same time. It will help the baby to adapt to the scedule. When my son was awake we also danced with him and now he is just crasy about music, dancing and has a great sense of rithm. And talk a lot, but it should be natural for you already. And many moms have question about separate bad for a child. My son slept in bed with me first three month. That made night feeding easier for me, made us closer to each other. And later I consulted with many doctors about this. They all think that it's good for a small, unprotected child to sleep with mother, especially if child needs an extra care. And film her every day, not long, like 15 min. When she will be big it will be pleasure for you both to see those moments again.

Hey there,

My name is Kit . I'm actually thinking about moving to Helsinki from the Philippines. I'm not a mother but I hope to be one someday. Im the eldest of 8 kids and i practically brought up 5 of them. So i might know a thing or 2 about changing diapers and burping newborns if that helps? Congratulations btw and don't drink cafeen while your breastfeeding.

My boyfriend might have to finish school there so might as well finish there or work there for the mean time. We're still planning things out but if I do turn up we can definately make a group because I don't know much finnish myself. I'm originally from California. (n_n)

Do you happen to know if there is a need for english teachers there? Im currently looking for a job there before I move. I'm a marketing graduate but im finishing 18 units of educations subjects for a double major.

What brought you to finland?

I'm moving to Helsinki in October with my husband and baby. Would also love to meet other expat mums.

Linzi, I'm in exactly the same situation, my son was born early in April although due in May. I think it just takes a little longer with premmies.

Thats baby 4 weeks next Monday and she has got such a personality now. She has a wind problem but apart from that she is wonderful, and gaining good weight. She put on 400g in one week!

Kit, I'm not sure how the job situation for teachers is at the moment. I think you just need to look in the right place, but I also think you'll have a lot of compatition. A lot of people looking for jobs!

Hi Linzy!

Awww i love new born babies! the smell so good and they're so delicate. Wind problems are normal it's just a matter of burping and masaging their tummy. after you feed her burp her right away. after i'd give my simbing a bath when they were young, I'd massage baby oil on their tummy in circles. it'll help the air go out or help sooth any discomfort they might have in thier tummy. you might want to try it?

Thanks so much for the advice. (n_n) My Boyfriend is currently traveling with Up With People but he'll be back in finland for his sister's wedding in June. I can't take leave from work untill the end of July. If things pan out well i might be there by early next year.

Jvesi, I hope your little one is doing good and congratulations. Was that your first or do you have more children?

Hey Linzi,

Yes he's my first, such a gorgeous little guy too, after 3 weeks in NICU I'm really grateful to have him home already ten days. Makes those 3AM feedings much easier!

How are things going with your little one now? Are you beginning to find your rhythm?

Cheers
jen

I was very lucky with my little girl, we were in the hospital for 4 days and then home. We only had to go back for another night because she was yellow. I couldn't imagine being in for any longer. You must be so happy to be home!

Things are going good thanks, we still have a sore tummy but we are feeding very well and she is growing so quickly!

Hi!

It's so nice to here about your little babies. I bet it's not easy to be a mother in a foreign country.

I have a six-month-old son and I would love to meet other mothers! I'm Finnish, but I know what it is to live abroad. I've once lived in France for a year.

It would be great to get together in a cafe or somewhere to talk about the family life with it's joys and sorrows.

How about it?!

Hi Hapu,

I'll be there in September and would love to join you for a cafe meetup. Keep me posted.

Cheers
jen

Great Jen! I hope others will be interested too, but if not, we could at least have a coffee somewhere. How old is your child?

If you don't find me here, here's my email address: hkarjalainen (at) hotmail.com

Hi! I'm a finnish girl and I'm babysitting for a family who just moved from the US to Finland. I was wondering have any of you founded a musical play group for babies\children 'cause the family is looking for sth like that ! I found them only in Finnish -.-

Hi Hapu!

My son is only 2 months old now, its been lots of fun trying to pack up our house and look after him at the same time. Especially now that we're discovering the joys of colic!

I'm really keen to be able to take him swimming somewhere in Helsinki when we get there. Does anyone know of a pool that does baby classes or permits babies to swim with their parents?

Really looking forward to meeting you all when I make it to Helisinki in a few short months!

Hapu, it would be great to meet up for some coffee and a chat. At the moment things are a little busy, with lots of family visits and then we have the christening soon. But at some point soon it would be nice!

Jen, There are parent and baby classes here but I'm not sure exactly where yet as I'm still looking into it. I know that they ask for the baby to be about 3 months old. I'll let you know more when I find out. And I'm there with you and the joys of colic. It is far from fun. Hang in there, they say it normally only lasts until the 3rd month!

Linzi

Hi all!

My baby is now seven moths old and he's learning to sit and crawl. Linzi, lets meet up when you have the time! And Jvesi let me know when you arrive in Finland.

Places that offer baby swimming classes are Folkhälsan folkhalsan.fi, Pikku Delfiinit pikkudelfiinit.fi, Vauvauinti Kultakalat vauvauinti.com

Hey Girls,
Why don't you start organizing regular Expat-Blog Mother/baby meet ups? I'm sure it will be fun! :)

>> I have moved the thread on the Helsinki forum. <<

The reason why I put the link to my post was that I wanted everybody to see that there is already a mothersŽ group in Helsinki which everybody is welcome to join. So why start a new group ?

Hi Feeacer,

I'm hoping to be more proactive in doing that when I finally arrive in Helsinki in a couple of months. We have something similar here in Lisbon and its loads of fun.

Orpoporo, can you explain where to find this mothers group in Helsinki? Is it expat or english speaking in particular? I found your post a little unclear. apologies.

Cheers
Jen

jvesi

Here is one alternative ( I do not know if the group is still active but you could call them and ask ) :

Sahrami is a multicultural family center. you are welcome here to spend time with others, or to take part in our activities. We have a varied list, including an open group, and a coffee house for families on fridays.

THE OPEN GROUP
Monday to thursday from 9am-3.30pm. (fridays 9.30am-3pm)
This is an open group especially for immigrant mothers and babies/children
The program include general discussion, gym sewing and handicrafts. At the same time there are also separate activities for children   

Address:
Perehetalo sahrami
Hakaniemenranta 14 B
Helsinki

Remenber!!! NO PAYMENT
tel: 09 310 42317

I will send you a PM and tell you how you can find more similar groups in Helsinki.

Hi all!

I would love to meet in a smaller group with other mothers and babies. So that it would be less "formal". Just a chat in a coffee shop. And if it works out, we could decide to meet one in a month or so.

I'm Finnish myself, but would like to meet English speaking mothers. I have lived in France for a year so I know a bit what it's like to live abroad.

Who would be interested in meeting for a coffee, lets say on Monday the 23th August 13-14 (or suggest another time if this won't do)

If the best place for you should be the city center, I suggest Wayne's Coffee Sanomatalo (near the Central Railway Center Address: Alvar Aallon kuja 2)

But should you live near the shopping center Jumbo like me, lets meet at Coffee House (address: Vantaanportinkatu 3)

Which one is best for you?

Love hearing from you!

Hanna and Aaro

Hey there,

I like the idea of some informal catch up to meet you all. I'm going to be in Helsinki for a week from 29th of August to look for a place to live, then back to live (hopefully in the wonderful place we find :-)) from the beginning of October. I'll definitely make it for meeting up in that week 30th Aug - 3rd September, if we could arrange something for then?

Oh, and I also see that once a month there is a mummy/baby cinema session at a cinema complex in Helsinki (and other towns around Finland). Perhaps we can join to attend some of those sessions? Could be fun!

Looking forward to it! :-)
Jen

I do like the idea of a smaller meet up. I will probably be free whenever, so just whatever is easier for everyone else.

I was wondering why all those mum's and prams where there. I accidentally went up in the lift with the pram got got stuck behind 20 prams! I was trying to get out for a while haha.

So how about Thursday on the 2nd September, so that Jvesi can join us too?

I'm probably going on the 31st Aug see that Babykino, but this time the movie is Finnish: Prinsessa. Usually the film is in English.

The 2nd sounds good to me. I live in the city center, so the place next to the train station would be easier, but if I was give directions I'm sure I could find my way to the other place.

Great! The 2nd it is then. Sanomatalo is fine by me.

Hi Girls!

So, next week we finally meet! Really looking forward to it. So next Thursday at Wayne's Coffee Sanomatalo, what time?

Cheers
Jen

Hi!

Great to see you! So Thursday the 2nd 13.00-14.00 at Sanomatalon Wayne's Coffee.

Hanna

That sounds like a plan! Maybe a silly question but how will we recognise each other. I'm the kind of person who really worries about these things lol.

Linzi

hi im muahrrem from kosova im interesed but i live in kosova how can i come to helsink

Hi Girls,

I'll be with my son in a blue and black chicco flat bed pram (Trio Living type). He is obsessed with a little yellow flower toy on a bright green stem, so I'll make sure that is visible. Chances are I'll be carrying a red backpack and wearing a black jacket and jeans.

When you spot me, please wave! Although I'll be quite happy to ask everyone there if they're from the 'mothers group'.

Cool, I think we should manage it! Really cool!

Look forward to meeting you tomorrow! Hope that the coffee shop has space for a good collection of mummies and babies!

Jen

Cool! I have a beige pram and I have no idea what I'll be wearing. I will probably have a green scarf on though.

I've been to that place once before and it seems like it had pleanty of space :)

Looking forward to meeting you too!

Linzi

Hi!

And I'll be the one with a green pram!

Hanna and Aaro

Hi Jen, Linzi and others!

I happened to find a message in Finland Forum about a mother-child meeting. It's on 16th Sep from 11am in Stockmann café. We will probably go there and check that up.

finlandforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47956&sid=4736846c68871ab651585886128730e4

Hanna

Hi! Did this meeting happend? I'm very interested. I have a daughter 10 months old and I find this topic just now.It would be very interesting to meet some english speakig mothers.