Considering moving to Benin.

I am hesitant because I've read that it is a "Third World Country". How poor is it out there? Is being so close to Nigeria increase the crime and murder rate there?

Cotonou isn't so bad. It's much much safer than Nigeria for one and there's a lot to do and it being right by the ocean is a plus.  It's just a matter of being smart and avoiding going to certain areas you know wouldn't be safe.  Power is pretty much constant but cuts from time to time for a few minutes or a few hours but many places have generators and it really isn't much of an inconvenience.  Internet is as you would expect in a third world country,  connection is not great and very expensive, just don't expect the type of speed you would get in North America.

There are more than a few supermarkets including a huge Western style supermarket.  Prices of stuff like cereal is expensive but u can get a great selection of fruits and vegetables at the markets. There are also many different restaurants and bars,  including sushi, and the beach is s popular getaway on the weekend.  The US community here is pretty large,  a lot of peace corps volunteers and embassy staff so am sure finding friends will be easy... Let me know if you have any more questions,  would be happy to help and good luck!

My advice is come visit first. It is not for evryone. I moved here two years ago from Boston and I can tell you it is not easy. I get fustrated a lot. Some of the simplest things are a lot of headaches. For instance waking up in the morning and realizing that you have no running water or having to deal with the effects of corruption on a daily basis. For the crime rate I have never been mugged or fallen victime to it. Cyber crime is a big thing here but other than that it is like anywhere else. You have to be aware of your surroundings. For me I feel that to be able to keep my sanity I have to step away every six months or so.

Kafui

I am also thinking of moving to Benin, Cotonou... if all goes well. God willing, I'll get married in my country and my husband to be will take me back to his native Benin. I'm a little apprehensive, since i don't really know what to expect. Can someone give me just a general idea of what life in Benin is like? Thanks a lot!