Fabulous antiques in Jakarta!

For anyone living in Jakarta who has not yet been down to Jalan Surabaya (Menteng) to the antiques market, you are in for a treat!

here is my latest blog post om/2013/02/02/flying-civet-cats-not-a-punk-in-sight/

which hopefully will you some idea of the treasure trove that awaits you!

Hope you all having a great weekend. Lottie :)

Sorry!

Here's the link

http://lottienevin.com/2013/02/02/flyin … -in-sight/:)

Hi Lottie,

Your blog on Pasar Jalan Surabaya was a fun read, and I agree, there are some wonderful treasures to be found there.  I even like it more than the Portobello Road market in London, although the Jakarta antiques market is nowhere on the scale of Portobello. 

If you don't mind, I'll add a few tips garnered over my many past visits there.

-Arrive early in the morning for “harga pagi” or the morning price.  Every merchant in Indonesia has a thing for their first sale of the day, and as a buyer you are more able to negotiate to your advantage as the merchant is so eager for that first sale.  If I recall correctly, it opens at 9 AM.

-Negotiate with vigor, as the initial asking prices on most everything are high. 

-Be willing to get dirty.  Some of the best pieces we've bought there aren't in plain view but are buried amongst seemingly endless piles of stuff.  Just be careful not to break anything as the old rule of the antiques business world wide holds true there too…if you break it, you've bought it. 

-Know your antiques.  While there are lots of authentic pieces to be found, there are even more reproductions and outright fakes.

How fantastic to hear from you and THANK YOU very much for your great comments and tips! Much appreciated by me and I'm sure other readers too! - when I have a moment I shall cut and paste your comment onto my comments at the bottom of the post or, even better I'd love you to do so as a reader! It's lovely to get feedback from those in the know!

I'm glad that you enjoyed the post and again, thanks for your in-put and advice, very helpful

Lottie :)