Monthly consumption of water and electricity

http://www.simonstratford.com/wp-content/uploads/can-of-worms.jpg

sadly for many Red that can of worms and a bloody big one it is - doesnt get opened until its too late

Just to whisper or shout 'Form F'

If the landlord won't sign it or you cannot come to another arrangement, don't rent it!!
For existing renters, renegotiate your contract.

I have difficulty in seeing what the 'big issue' is. :whistle:

Form F Link

am sure you do.

Yes Toon and you know why I do?
Because it's no big deal and simple to sort out.
Form H for updating the number of residents at that property, landlord maintaining account,  meter in total etc.
Form F for transfer of account, meter and registration in total (deposit liable)
Besides, this is Malta and there is always a choice.

Form & Info links

its a big deal due to the quite deliberate lies and deceit to further their greed via tax evasion as you well know and sadly many dont know what you now know and dont find out until its too late. Its not so easy to get the changes that you refer to when the perpetrators (landlords agents) continue to lie and tax evade......it all marrs the rep of what can be and is a good place to live.

You cannot force the landlord to sign anything.
If he refuses all you can do is move (and probably lose your deposit ).

Terry

Quite true, one cannot force the landlord to do anything.
One can seek to negotiate however.
But, that is the way of things, a reality of living on Malta.
And yes ''sadly many don't know what you now know and don't find out until its too late'' which is why we try to give correct information and alleviate undue anxiety. We make the options known. It can be a simple process; though unfortunately, we cannot inform all of the people all of the time.
The choices may be limited but there is always a choice.

an old saying from the mighty iron lady herself many years ago "we are not for turning"....

some are some arent

negotiations sometimes go wrong and that other saying comes  out  " dont like it **** off and go back to where you came from"

so they do and then before you know it your in court for a few years defending  yourself

Hi everyone!

I'm writing to ask about monthly payment for electricity. Apparently we are three girls living in a small apartment, not consuming a lot. All the lightbulbs are energy saving and we turn off everything when we don't use it. We don't use the airconditioner for heating, have our  own small heaters but use it just ocassionally. All these facts, but we still have to pay 60 euros/10 days
Is this amount normal?
It means that per month we usually pay 180 euros, which I think is a lot!
Thank you for your reply in advance!

L

You should read your meter yourself to find out actual consumption, e.g. take the readings today and in one week, then go to the arms malta website  and enter your readings in the calculator, and you'll see what you should be charged. I figure you'll be on the more expensive rate. I don't know what you agreed with your landlord, we had a short let where a fixed amount was agreed regardless of actual consumption.

@lellimano.

Re: Your question - ‘….All these facts, but we still have to pay 60 euros/10 days
Is this amount normal?.....'

Reply: No.

In this regard, please see:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 28#3453376

you are more than likely on the highly expensive domestic tariff....ask you landlord to sign form h and get your bills reduced by 35-65%

if he refuses to do so then hes probably not declaring the income for tax and is afraid if he does sign then he exposes himself to the tax man

try joining this group for more information and assistance https://www.facebook.com/groups/371466666251933/

or this one for hints and tips to watch out for
https://www.facebook.com/TIPmalta/

ARMS seems to be a law unto itself. My first bill as an owner occupier had water charged under the residential tarrif but the electricity under domestic. When I challenged this, I was told that it is not pssible to fall between two tarrifs. The following complaint has been sent from department to department, but nothing ever seems to resolve the matter. In the meen time, not paying a bill that can not be accurate gets a "fine".

Thank you all for your help!
I hope the situation will change!
Lovely day for all!

It will only change if you do something about it - if not it stays the same - if you wish to have help on  this matter then please feel free to PM me

You have a right to be charged for elec and water at the residential tariff if you are permanently living in your primary residence...... irrespective of nationality.

Dont be fooled by a prepaid meter or submeter either  - these are illegal if theyre charging anything other than the rates approved by Enemalta / WSC or REWS... NOTE there is only ONE approved reseller of electricity and water in Malta and THAT IS NOT YOUR LANDLORD.

Sadly they do seem to be that way until you show them you are not for turning, you have right on your side , the EU Commission would love to know about these issues - use their PETI petiton portal to report issues of irregularities -  and keep at them like a dog at broth.. Believe me the EU know about all this.

good luck at sorting them out - my colleagues and i have been battling with them for over 5yrs and still battling away to correct their wrongs - they know theyre wrong but seem incapable of running their system or managing it and sure as hell seem intent on keeping intact their part of the organised tax evasion in cahoots with landlords

for three people on residential rate your bills probably shouldnt exceed €50-65) maybe €80 per month  in winter...... it would be interesting to know how you are being billed ....arms bill or prepaid meter or submeter or a landlord produced bill, do you have a long term let,

Id expect no more than 10-12 units per day elec consumption and no more than 6-8units of water per month for 3 people - check your meters regularly  see if you can spot a pattern - as its not unheard of for Landlords to connect themselves into your supplies and you end up paying for their elec and water or a friend or family  in a nearby flat

if it is suspected that this is happening turn all your elec goods of and check to see of the meters are turning if you find they are then find the main switch for elec and and the main stop cock for YOUR supplies and turn them offfor a while -  see if anyone complains or if the meters still turning and if then someone is using your supply......

always demand an arms two page bill - dont pay an estimated bill either

Our Landlord charges us 50 Euros per month on top of rent and when the bill comes in we either pay more if we fall short or get some back if we use less. Yet to be tested out in reality. We are on Residential rates.
Ray

I personally dont like the payment direct to the Landlord as its not unheard of for the LL not to pay your cash payment over to arms and thus a bill can still be left unpaid or outstanding  plus interest charges can be levied too...not to mention the risk to you of being disconnected

Bets bet is to ask for the account number - do your own readings and calculations each 1st of the month on the arms online calculator and pay that direct to the account online

Our current Landlord just drops the bill in our letter box and we pay it when we wish, online, through our bank.
We are moving soon and we will then pay €50/month with the difference being accounted for on presentation of the actual bill which has to show 'residential' and 2 occupants, we also will have access to the actual meters and have this written in the contract.
Main problem with this, is that if you do not agree the bill, it is more difficult to get it corrected as it has already been paid (hopefully)

Ray

The watchwords are "protect yourself"

The arrangement is in our tenancy agreement and I have printed receipts for the rent and services, but as I said, yet to be tested.
Ray

Its good that you have these but sadly contracts and receipts mean nothing  - there is NO regulation and NO protection for YOU as a tenant  - live there long enough and you will find out.