Has anyone brought cats from the US? Help!

Hello,
Has anyone brought cats from the US? How much time in total does it take for all paperwork? Most importantly, exactly what shots and tests are needed?

Hi Mistyb - we brought our cat from Australia 5 years ago - as far as I can recall, she only needed a rabies shot (even though there is no rabies in Australia!). Will look up the old paperwork later today and let you know what the procedure was.

Regards
Veronique

Hi again Misty

Sorry for the delay - that paperwork was hard to track down.

As I said, this was over 5 years ago, so things might have changed.

We had to have our cat:

- microchipped
- vaccinated against feline enteritis, rhinotracheitis and calcivirus within the previous 12 months
- treated against nemetodes and cestodes 14 days prior to export
- treated against ticks within 96 hours prior to export
- have had a rabies vaccine

You have to apply for an import permit, and pay the import fee prior to arrival.

Your cat then goes into quarantine for a month - go and visit her regularly. We didn't as we thought it would be harder for her if we kept leaving her, and when we eventually picked her up, she was traumatised, malnourished, and had ticks and earmites!

You apply to the Ministry of Agro-Industry and Fisheries, Division of Veterinary Services, and they will send you the necessary paperwork and information.

At the time, their email was: [email protected], and their fax: +230 464 2210.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Regards

Veronique

Thank you very much, Veronique. I have tried repeatedly via email to reach them and twice via telephone. I'll keep trying.
Again, thank you. I hope that your kitty recovered and is well now.

Regards,
Misty