The negatives about retiring in Ecuador

JOYSOUNDS wrote:

In short we found out that the tour owner got a percentage of our tab.  After waiting almost an hour we still didn't have our food, so we collectively got up and walked to the bus. In the pouring rain with no umbrellas, with no lunch and no refund  I also infor
med Kathleen and Leaf at our Live and Invest conference about the ordeal

Joysounds,

You and others need to be very careful doing the "tour circuit".  What you describe above is all too common for what the industry is all about.  Overpriced, under-serviced and designed to line the pockets of the tour companies and those who recommend them.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Bob,

Do your homework. I studied the idea of moving to Ecuador for 2 years.
I don't speak Spanish but determined to learn and contacted the school in advance, however, there are enough people who speak English that make you feel comfortable.
I have seen a lot of negative comments that frankly I have not experienced here in Cuenca. Maybe Guayaquil or Quito but not here.
Negatives?
1. It is colder here this time of year than I was lead to believe.
2. Dogs who live on the street mark their territory. Watch out for the "bombs".
3. IMO, it is the gringos who will try to take advantage, not the locals. Contrary to one popular blogger, I do not feel that any Ecuadorean has tried to take advantage of me.
Ex: I walked into a drugstore for a skin treatment. The druggist, who was also a doctor, made a cold cream compound and gave me a 2oz sample to try out. He refused payment.
I can tell many stories about how the people helped me but I will stop for now with the following statement;
If you have any questions, I will answer based upon my experience.

Adios,

Carl Miller
Cuenca, Ecuador

Please give me a call on magic jack 704 419 1234. Would like to give you some honest info.

SINNOMBRE wrote:

Please give me a call on magic jack 704 419 1234. Would like to give you some honest info.

So honest you can't post that information here?

Joseph K,

I always worry about those that refuse to put forth their perspectives publicly, with the often "innocent sounding", oh, just drop me an email...or call.  Folks that live in the shadows seldom comfort me.  They are usually worried about what they are saying publicly, most often because they doubt the veracity of it and don't want to open themselves to slander/libel charges, which are taken very seriously in Ecuador. Think about it...if its true and can be of benefit, why not share it with the masses? Much misinformation, for example is being doled out "privately" on several Ecuador forum sites.  I am not directing these comments at any one poster, individual or forum group/site...just a general observation.  The only 2 times I have ever said...let's take it "off forum" is when a debate has gotten so personally contentious that it only pollutes the thread, or when the response is too long for the forum (like this one is becoming) and requires more depth of response.  Apologies to all, but I just had to say that.  In my profession, I meet folks every day that believe they possess "information", when what they possess is "misinformation".

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected],

Your Escape to Ecuador gives great advice and information about life, travel and retirement in Ecuador.

Your Escape to Ecuador

Cheers

That is ridiculous. If it were true, no-one who has septic system could ever flush the toilet. Pumping them out infrequently is the norm.

As is usual, Hector, I agree with you. Knowing human nature, I worry that anything that cannot be shared in the open may be (remember may means possibility and not a certainty) a sign of pending misinformation. It is worthwhile to gently wrap our positive emotions and expectations around this possibility so we do not make a decision that would be unwise for us.

chuckdee wrote:

Your Escape to Ecuador gives great advice and information about life, travel and retirement in Ecuador.

Your Escape to Ecuador

Cheers

Not so much. Advertising rarely tells the truth in my opinion.

David429 wrote:

That is ridiculous. If it were true, no-one who has septic system could ever flush the toilet. Pumping them out infrequently is the norm.

David, if you use Quote instead of reply, we will then know whom you are addressing.

"Not so much. Advertising rarely tells the truth in my opinion."

Amen to that, Joseph...Amen.  And I am in a business that other than politics, is at the forefront of "redefining" advertising...and hyperbole.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Yes, Hector, and thank God some of those in that business are honest people, unlike politicians who may start out honest but invariably become corrupted. And, then there are those government officials who just can't do enough to protect us... Oh shucks, I think I will just step down from this soap box and take my afternoon nap. Hmmmm... what did I do with my Blinky?

Hi Bob,

The biggest negative for some people is adjusting to the 8,500 ft. altitude, especially if you have pulmonary or cardiac issues.
If you have lived your whole life at or near sea level, the change can be a real shock to your system.  There are some oxygen-enhancing meds made for skiers and mountain climbers which you would want to begin taking ahead of time.  Expect to be short of breath and need to take it easy for several weeks.

You don't have to speak Spanish upon arrival -- there are English speaking helpers in most businesses.  However, if you plan to live here you WILL want to study Spanish since being able to communicate in the oficial language makes life much easier.

The most important thing to bring with you is an open mind and a sense of adventure.  Definitely leave behind any expectation of Ecuador and Cuenca being a cheaper versión of the U.S.A.

I've been living here for two years and love it!  I teach Spanish to other gringos, sing in a mixed Cuencana/Expat chorus, take art lessons and have many friends both Ecuadorian & expat.  I've had emergency surgery and other excellent medical and dental care. I expect to live here the rest of my long life.
                                    -- Juanita Ruth One

nevermind.

SINNOMBRE wrote:

nevermind.

Sinnombre,

I think that you will find your opinion respected here and if you want to share your opinion, please do. Unfortunately, when people say they know the truth, but only want to communicate by private message, that causes people to become suspicious.  To many people use that method to try to sell things. Perhaps you were not aware of that.

I read your profile, something I should have done before, because I would not have reacted so strongly. I apologize for that and realize you might be little shy. So, please post what you like and just ignore this grumpy old man.

I would just rather talk to a person and am not that good at typing and only wanted to help.

SINNOMBRE wrote:

I would just rather talk to a person and am not that good at typing and only wanted to help.

Thanks for explaining and, again, I am sorry to be such a jerk. If you can get someone to help, they can show you how to use a tablet to just speak and record what you are saying. Just a thought to maybe make things easier for you. Technology can be a bit challenging at times, but can also do some amazing things for us.

Hi Joy
   Weather on the Ecuador coast varies due to the effect of the Humboldt Current (icy cold water from Antarctica which brings up the Humpback Whales for mating and birthing). In Southern Manabi (Manta down to Ayampe) the "garua" season (grey, drizzly weather caused by the current colliding with hot Equatorial land mass) lasts from approx mid-June thru September. During this period there it is generally grey and overcast until at least noon, and some years there are days and even full weeks where you don't see the sun at all.
    In Northern Manabi (Bahia de Caraquez northward) and the northernmost province of Esmeraldas there is more sunshine, although scattered rainy months (usually afternoons and evenings) throughout the year.
    There are so many microclimates all along the coast; just around the next bend the weather might be completely different!
I'm not expert, but this is what I've experienced!
Jill

SawMan wrote:

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Cuenca-weather-averages/Azuay/EC.aspx

I certainly wouldn't rely too heavily on this website as the temps don't make any sense. For example, On Tuesday (July 6, 2013), this website claims the temp was 4 degrees C at 14:00 and 15 degrees C at 17:00. This makes no sense as I would expect the temp to be cooler at 17:00 than at 14:00 as sunset in Ecuador is about 18:30. I have seen other sites claim the temp for the same time frame (14:00) as being 17 degrees C. This particular site was accuweather.com. I would think the accuweather site is closer to the mark.

This site (http://www.weather-forecast.com/locatio … ars/latest) shows the temp as 15.4 degrees C at 16:00 as taken from Mariscal Aeropuerto - Cuenca. The same site indicates the temp was 14.7 degrees C at 13:00 (See http://www.weather-forecast.com/weather … ar-Airport).

I think the worldweatheronline.com site is considerably inaccurate.

MikeGB wrote:

I think the worldweatheronline.com site is considerably inaccurate.

Generally, almost every website reporting weather in Ecuador is inaccurate. A few showing monthly averages can give you a broad range, but even this is misleading. Also, I have noticed very unusual temperatures in Loja, this year, so you never know. Normally Loja is in the 50s (F) at night, and the seventies during the day. Inside the house usually stays above 65 at at all times. But lately, it has been much colder and more rain than usual. There have been more than a few days in the last few months that I have resorted to wearing gloves inside. But, this is the coldest part of the year for us. Hopefully, things will warm up in September, and then it is delightful and night temperatures will stay within the 60s (house temperatures in the low 70s).

Joseph K wrote:

There have been more than a few days in the last few months that I have resorted to wearing gloves inside. But, this is the coldest part of the year for us.

That seems a bit extreme: having to wear gloves inside. Are you very sensitive to cold? Also, what about space heaters? Wouldn't that help?

The temps that I have seen on various websites lead me to believe that it is better than it is here where I live. We get snow here in the winter which you don't get. But we do have central heating during the spring, fall, winter months which I understand is not available in Ecuador. A good fireplace and space heaters should handle the difference I would think.

Mike, in addition to the chilly weather, the window/door insulation is poor. Most get heat from fireplaces but wood is pricey and many do not operate very well. Best solution is wearing sweaters and sweat shirts, electric blankets and flannel sheets. Given the choice I prefer the cooler temps than heat/humidity or snow.

MikeGB wrote:

That seems a bit extreme: having to wear gloves inside. Are you very sensitive to cold? Also, what about space heaters? Wouldn't that help?

I suppose I could be more sensitive than others, but I have lived in Denver, where it can get to -30. But, then I never kept my house at 60 degrees even when it was really cold outside. No one I know does either, so it is hard to compare. I just know that when it is that cold, my hands definitely start to hurt. Maybe it is just because I am old.

I do have a heater in my bedroom, but I live in a very large house with a very big Ecuadorian family, and pretty much respect how they do things, which is not to use space heaters in most of the house. They are the ones, however, that did offered the heater for the BR. Even though we do share expenses, I do try to be respectful and not run up their bill to much. I pretty much eat what they eat, spend what they spend, live like they live, and have learned a lot about being poor. It is a very different world, but one full of joyous and loving people... and maybe some cold hands.

Hi bob I lived 13 years in New Jersey I am from Argentina and to tell you the truth for me, there is nothing negative 
about cuenca .
Recently I went to Argentina after all this years and I really miss the peace and the people of cuenca .
If the trouble is because of the language I can help you by giving you some lessons , it was hard for me too in the USA .

God bless you and talk to you soon . bye
:)

Joseph, If your hands are truly painful at 60 degrees it may be from an auto immune condition called Reynaud's Syndrome.  Especially if you notice the skin getting dusky--ask you physician.  It is treatable with Nifedapine (and gloves of course!) which helps a lot. It is related to rheumatoid arthritis and can be very painful.

Hello,

I very much appreciate what you've written about Ecuador.  I've been looking principally at Costa Rica but am open to other countries in Latin America that would provide the kinds of things I'm looking for.

I'm just curious if anyone has suggestions on what we can provide to the locals to make this a better transition and better relations amongst the locals here.

I'm in Salinas which is pretty much a vacation spot, but we do have La Libertad right next door where the locals live and trade. It is really amazing what you can buy down in their market and the prices verses the Gringo and Rich Ecuadorian malls.

One should take in to consideration in every country there are both negative and good aspects.   One must weigh the factor of where you live to where you think you may want to move. It never is exactly what you picture in your mind . So visit..  There is a lot of half truths out there of people trying to sell you some thing..   I moved to Costa Rica 5 years ago..  It has its good and bad side.  Like any foreign country you will pay for the extras, you had at home.  Housing in Costa Rica and renting is by far cheaper.   I rent a nice home in San insidro , Costa Rica.  But electricity here is very high. My runs 70-100 US,  and I do not use a lot.   Cars are  outrageous three to four times the cost of the US. Gas to is high a little over 5 a gallon.  If you want full coverage that to is high.  But here you get basic coverage on your car when you pay taxes on it.   Food on the whole here is very so so. Good beef is hard to find.   Pork and chicken are good but do not expect to find cuts you know. They just slaughter and butcher the animal.   Here to lots of areas you can not flush toilet paper.  Costa Rica is now the most expensive country to live in Central America.   Health care is good.  But do expect long waits for residency, banks, ect..   Truth is soon there will be no good deals left in the world. So in all pick a place you feel at home,  people can be good they can be bad its all the same every where.   Most important do your home work things change very fast especially residency laws.   I am know considering the move to Ecuador as it has more to over me than here in Costa RIca.    Good luck to all ,  many have been ruined by moving to fast and not knowing the ins and outs.   A gringo is a gringo world wide.

I have been in Ecuador for over a year now. I cannot imagine living anywhere else in this world. I could give you 100 things I like about Ecuador, but let me just say this; my monthly rent, which includes all the needs and amenities for living, except food, runs $160/mo. and I live in a high end neighborhood. Maid service is $6 every two weeks. I do not have to lift a finger.

Jusst curious, is that for a room or an apartment?

I was recently given a new perspective on "Gringo Price Gouging" by an Ecuadorian who now lives in the U. S.  The higher one is on the socioeconomic ladder,  the more one is expected to pay.  It is both a form of charitable giving and a badge of status that one had been recognized as High class.  When you think about it from the point of view of a very old and class oriented society,  it's not so insulting.

I wouldn't need a maid to clean one room. I have a large kitchen with lots of natural lighting, a new GE refrigerator and gas stove. My landlord makes certain I never run out of gas. I have a separate bath with shower. My living area contains my bed, computer area and TV. I have a private patio with lots of plants. The tienda where I buy my 608ml bottles of Brahma beer is only a block away thru a beautiful park. I've been here a year and plan on staying for life.
You are welcome to stop buy next time your in Cuenca and I'll buy lunch.

Carl I will take you up on that if I make the move to Cuenca.. I now live in Costa RIca and live in the city of San Insidro.  It is not a very pretty city and not much really to do.. Costs in Costa Rica are getting very high...  But I know that is getting to be very true of almost every where...  I have studied and like that Cuenca has all  a big city can over and more..  I hope to visit around April of next year..    bye and feed back is welcome

Your more than welcome Paul. I studied retirement locations for 3 years before deciding on Cuenca. You can spend as much money as you want especially if you want to live in Gringolandia, but that's not for me. I love the locals and if there is something I don't understand, I use my translator app. My friend and I decided if things got too expensive, we would just move to a more remote location although I don't expect that to happen for the rest of my life.

Carl thanks you are the first expat that has responded to me.. Are prices still good, and what of food?  From what I see there is a larger selection to choose from than here in Costa Rica...Looks like good restaurants, and shopping .  It seem to me you have all one needs in live there in Cuenca..   I have some health issues as psoriatic rheumatism. I like having the spas close and a Olympic swimming pool, and many gyms to choose from..   Do you have a car there I here they are not needed I also heard Cuenca this year is putting in a light European rail train for inter city travel...  If ya have time let me know what your days are like there and the real expenses of living . I to was coming with a friend put he just passed away....  Carl thanks so much for your help and appreciate all information you can give me.  Hope to meet up with you in the future..  Paul

Paul,
During the week I usually eat at La Peseta. The food is very good and consists of the following; Large bowl of soup steaming and a large bowl of popcorn with homemade Aji on the side. Always 2 choices every day of chicken or beef or pork of fish with vegetables, rice (of course), avacado or plantain fresh made fruit juice and either a piece of fruit of a pastry for $2.00. Monday is lottery day so I go downtown cash in my tickets and have lunch at Zona Refrescante. Pretty much the same fare only more of it for $4.00. In the mornings instead of the usual breakfast, I eat 5 or 6 varieties of fresh fruit along with real fruit juice. Sunday I go to the Roux and splurge with a variety of dishes including a thick steak and eggs with fries and bottomless coffee for $9.50. The rest of the day I snack at home and in the evening I'll have some Ruffles chips and ice cold Brahma beer 608ml bottle 0.80 cents which is stocked just for me by the local tiende.
If your over 65, health care is free if you don't mind the hassle of signing up and waiting 3mo. for an xray, as an example, or IIESS is a government program for $70.00/mo. which also covers everything but much faster service
or you can join different co-ops for a 1 time fee of $25 and .25 cents a month which give you access to a doctor any time without waiting, except at lunch break. The options are many and if you like hot springs, you'll love Banos nearby just a .12 cent bus ride and as a senior it's around $1.50 for use of the spa which is fed by volcanoe heated waters. My body's is old and crippled so I prefer to stay home and use the hot shower but I have a friend that goes every Wednesday.
No need for a car here ever. The expense just does not justify the need or want if you will. Although gas is $1.50 for regular, I can take a taxi any where in the city for $2.00 or less depending on location relative to downtown.
Remember, you can spend as much money as you want but you don't need to.
Chao!

Thanks kindly Carl, I have heard this year Cuenca is putting in a European light real train in the inter city to reduce trafic and make it easy to get around have you heard any thing on this matter?    The prices sound great.  I hear one way to get fast residency is to put 25,000 in to a bank there and you have your residency?  How hard is it to get residency i have heard various reports some say its tricky I understand I need my birth certificate and police report and incomestatement.  these must be notarized and apostatized the birth certificate must me also certified in the US by the embassy in my case I would use San Francisco as that is where i am from.  Then you send them to the embassy in Washington DC? Then what follows do I need a lawyer to help..?  not clear on these procedures.. thanks again your info helps. chao

The Tranvia is being built as we speak. I have been inside the cars and control console and it is fabulous. The French engineers are building it but I don't think it will be operational until 2016.
San Francisco is said to be a very difficult consulate to deal with. I first contacted the embassy in Washington, D.C. They will send you a document to download in your email which gives you all the latest requirements. Then I went to the consulate in Houston, TX. for my income verification, SS. I was their only customer and they were extremely helpful.
Next I went to the Sec. of State office in Austin, TX. to have all my documents apostilled. You can't have too many documents. I even went to my bank for a letter stating how long I have been a customer, what my average balance was over a given period and what an upstanding and responsible person I am. They even notarized it for free. It is better to be safe than sorry. Then I hired an attorney who went with me or sent a member of his family to assist me every step of the way. I applied the end of July and had my cedula Sept. 09. They even got me a room at a hostal and took me there upon arrival. It was well worth the money and gave me peace of mind. I stayed at the hostal almost 3 months and was never ask to pay. When I left, I paid in full with a big cash discount. Cash is king and you can make deals even in retail stores for cash although the big markets already give you discounts if you have their discount card in your wallet, and all your information is computed so that your can submit receipts to the SRI for full refund of all sales taxes. As a senior you have all tax revenues returned by the government unless you win at the lottery, then you have to pay 14% on your winnings over $40. The refunds go directly into your bank account and you can submit up to 1 years worth at no more than $170/mo. although I have never spent that much to max out.
If your interested in what documents I brought with me and one I wish I had, let me know in your next missive as I have gone long on my answers.

Loved your answer!

Hi Carl wow that a hassle to get residency.. Carl i heard if you put up 25,000 you can by pass all the bull.. you put the money in the bank there in Ecuador and you receive automatic residency.. Do you know any thing on this.. I suppose i could to Miami FL. But that still mans leaving here going there returning etc... i will print out your message but if i could put the 25,000 in to a bank that maybe the easiest way.. thank you   I HEAR WHEN YOU  ARE 65 YOU GET A HALF OFF CARD THAT ENTITLES YOU TO DISCOUNTS AT MAJOR STORES, MUSEUMS , CONCERTS, AND INTERNATIONAL AIR FARE..   WELL THANKS  I MUCH WAS YOUR LAWYER...   HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOUR RESIDENCY?