Set up my life in Paraguay

Hello, everyone.  I have been considering leaving the US for about half of my life.  Upon doing research, I have chosen Paraguay.  I was divorced 2 1/2 years ago, my rock band that I lead for 15 years is now defunct and I basically no longer have any major ties here, just a handful of friends.

My question is this:  How much money do you all think it would take me to get to Paraguay (from NYC) and to set up my life?

I am not even sure I could find a way to earn money there, though I have taught English in NYC and have a lot of work experience.

I am finally ready to go and would like to start planning but need to know if my meager life savings is enough.

I have worked many years with no pension and not even health insurance.  So I don't have a lot of money, despite turning 49 in March (I look and feel younger!)

Thank you so much in advance.

Hi Stef,

I'm an ex-musician from the the North East living in Paraguay - hit me up at [email protected] - we got the largest group of expats that hang together that can help with the info you need. 

Cheers,

Lonnie

Writing now... yahoo address, so please check your spam!

I'd like to know more about this group of expats! I'm living in paraguay as well!

Hello, to live in Paraguay do not need much money but a good head because there are many traps and depends on the standard of living that you like.
Life in Paraguay is very healthy and very natural.
The cars are much more expensive than in the U.S., but the houses are accessible.
If I can help you send me an email.
Regards, Jose

Hello Stef,
I am new to the forum and so just got your meassage. What you are considering is a huge undertaking. I have lived a large part of my life abroad, and there are many things to consider before deciding to come here.
I have lived full time in Paraguay for three years, but bought my house and some other property back in 2008, so maybe I can give you a bit of advice.
Alot depends on the type of life you want to live here. When I came to stay for three months in 2006, I was a single guy, living a bachelors life in the richest part of Asuncion (Carmelitas). I rented a a luxury condo, with three floors, two balconies, and a lived the party life. My rent was $500, and I blew as much in clubbing, dating, restaurants. This will surely cost much more today.
I am now married and have a small son, so I now live a much more conservative life and my costs reflect that. If you are looking for inexpensive living, I would recommend living outside of Asuncion, but this will pose some challenges on its own.

Another important point: Do you speak spanish? This is essential if you expect to get by here.

Best of luck,
Mike