Small fish in a big pond

I have been living in Dallas for 5 weeks now and perhaps the reality of it all has finally settled in. I have been focusing so hard on settling my 2 kids into Elementary and Middle School, trying to make sense of all the new school information (very different from Syd, Aust), finding where I am going, settling into a new house (with still no furniture), driving on the other side of the road (I can't afford to be on auto-pilot any more), not working full-time (never been a "stay home mum"), back into Full-time Study after a semster break, and the coordination of it all that now it all seems to be getting on top of me. I used to be able to handle work/study/run on business/kids/husband/dog and now I can barely handle myself! OMG is this what a huge move does to you? I have moved interstate 2x in my life (albeit in my 20s with no kids) and perhaps in hindsight it was easier in some ways and harder in others). I did not think that I really had any problems with this move, but perhaps the cracks are starting to show.
Anyway on a positive note, it has been so exciting to have a white christmas, have a lovely home with a pool to look forward to in summer. The schools have been amazing so far - very concerned in different ways - to ensure our children fit in and do well. Customer service on the whole is a wonderous thing in Dallas as everyone seems genuinely excited to serve you - perhaps it is the tipping culture and lower wages than Australia, but back home you feel like youve interrupted someones day if you walk into a shop, here it is just the opposite.
Well that is it for now, but this relocation/expat move stuff really is similar to being the small fish in the big pond.

Hello nemo37,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hi nemo37,

On behalf of the entire Expat-blog Team welcome on board, I hope your experience here on the blog will be both enjoyable and informative.

It really is like being a little fish in a big pond when you uproot yourself from everything that's been familiar to you your whole life and then find yourself halfway around the globe.

The only consolation is that while the pond doesn't really get any smaller, us little fish grow a bit, swim more forcefully, so at least the pond seems a little smaller and the big fish don't seem quite so scary anymore either.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

It's funny to hear that small fish in a big pond  :):) . But it is also nice to hear your positive note about the city. I think you should enjoy over there. Dallas is a beautiful city, one my cousins lives there and she always keeps on praising about the city.

Any mid year move is difficult. We just moved back to the US less than 5 weeks ago. Was able to get one kiddo in school, but still trying on the preschooler. And the kids definitely make it harder. I had hoped to move in June just to not have to deal with all the schooling till we were at least settled.

Good luck it will get easier once the kids really get set into their routines.

Have you done the cattle drive in Fort Worth yet? Give it a Google the kids will love it