My Family Is Moving to Cardiff This Summer

Hi, I'm Lucy and my whole family is moving to Cardiff this summer after I finish school. My dad got a job there that pays better than here so we have to move. I've never left the USA before and I don't know what sort of things there are in Cardiff to do for someone my age. I have a lot of stuff I like to do here and I'm really bummed that I have to move.

I do All-Star cheer and softball and I really love my friends, but since there's a lot of work to move everyone to a different country I had to quit cheer this season. Depending on how my team does I might get to play a last season of softball.

What I want to know is if people here play softball or cheer. I've been doing both sinc eI was four and I don't want to stop. Also, I heard school is harder and I'll have to wear a uniform.

I told my parents that it's fine to move and I AM excited, but I'm worried too because I have to leave my friends and stuff I like doing.

Hello Lucy.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

Hello Lulu,

I'm an American living in Wales. Although I'm fortunate in that I married a nice gal here.

Because you are American, you might be considered quite exotic by classmates. You will be teased for your accent (my seven year old teases me all the time) but don't take it personally.

About softball, alas no. There IS such a thing as Welsh Baseball but it is rare and played with a flat bat. Baseball exists too but the closest to see it is in Bristol and it's only men it seems. However, I DO suggest you get introduced to rugby at some point.

As far as uniforms go, yes you probably will have to wear a uniform. But all schoolkids wear them here. It means no one is dressed better than anyone else and that all are equal. At least that's the theory.

[moderated: off topic]