New residence permits

I am a Permanent resident, they can't take that away from me. To supply all my details again is unfair and pointless as they've made their decision and there is no going back.
What happens if I don't apply? I am still a resident! My certificate never runs out, there is no expiry, so why go through the hassle???

coxf0001 wrote:

I am a Permanent resident, they can't take that away from me. To supply all my details again is unfair and pointless as they've made their decision and there is no going back.
What happens if I don't apply? I am still a resident! My certificate never runs out, there is no expiry, so why go through the hassle???

As and EU resident you have the right to remain in any EU country provided you comply with the rules regarding residency in those countries.
To say that "they've made their decision and there is no going back" is silly.
Any EU country has the right to change its rules and all have differing systems for registering residency.
The point is that now the rules in Malta are what they are, if you want to complain do it via the EU BUT DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH!
What they can do to you if you don't apply is another matter.
Probably not much except make is awkward for individuals that don't have a updated residency card in the future.
Its not hard to get one it just takes time and it may winkle out some of the expats who have been flying under the tax  radar for a few years!!

thats news to me - mine has been in for 14 weeks now - and thats all i've sent  and am not doing it all again - so they can whistle.

I think you will find they cannot legally demand that you resubmit everything....

methinks you should place a formal complaint via https://www.secure.europarl.europa.eu/a … ition.html

and copy and send your reply as stated to Christian Bulzomi at the EU commission he is their legal officer there.

[email protected]

he would be most interested in this as he is currently investigating this shambles

That's ok but I am a student now and I won't be entitled to permanant residency if I have to reapply.
My point is, now I am a permenant resident, I should simply have to do what the Maltese do when they go to apply for the new id card, as in, provide the same documentation as them?!

there is an oft used expression "we are maltese we do as we please" would seem appropriate.

georgeingozo wrote:
coxf0001 wrote:

That's ok but I am a student now and I won't be entitled to permanant residency if I have to reapply.

I thought you had to apply for PR every year now (or is that only for the PR replacement schemes ?). I'm sure one of my friends has to prove income and health cover every year

That must be the scheme thing. I have no conditons and no expiry date.

I've been looking through the rules and once a PR it can not be taken away "Furthermore, Union citizens and their family members who have
the right of permanent residence have increased protection
against expulsion as they can be expelled only on serious grounds
of public policy or public security.
When it comes to those Union citizens who have resided in the host
Member State for the previous 10 years or are minors, the
expulsion can be justified only on imperative grounds of public
security (in the case of minors an expulsion may also be justified
when it is necessary for the best interests of the child)"
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/citizen/fil … _ec_en.pdf

Thank goodness! Even as I am a student, I can still reside here without havng to give finantial evidence of self support. I can also still claim social assistance as long as it is no burden to them, as in, I don't stay on it for ever. (I lost my job after I started uni and now on social assistance.) They need to prove, that they have good reason to stop it.
I will just hand n the form with my old certificate and see what happens.

good luck

" they can be expelled only on serious grounds
of public policy or public security."

"Public policy" would cover someone who is claiming benefits but does not hold a valid E ID card, would it not?

Our friends in Mellieha went in person about 6 weeks ago and had to provide all the documents and photos again ( they already held the old ID).

tearnet wrote:

Our friends in Mellieha went in person about 6 weeks ago and had to provide all the documents and photos again ( they already held the old ID).

did they have the old residency certificate ?

I really don't get that impression from reading it...Serious grounds?!! Also I've been here nearly 10 years, so it would be under Public security.

I will go with the photos and form and old certificate and see what happens!

georgeingozo wrote:
tearnet wrote:

did they have the old residency certificate ?

Yes.

so basicslly their "highly informative" website is just a pile of old poo then

as far as i am concerned i have fulfilled my obligation to malta - did that 5 yrs ago and see no need to do it again as thats just not going to happen. so we shall see - gloves are on.....

toonarmy9752 wrote:

- gloves are on.....

don't you mean off :-)

toonarmy9752 wrote:

so basicslly their "highly informative" website is just a pile of old poo then

as far as i am concerned i have fulfilled my obligation to malta - did that 5 yrs ago and see no need to do it again as thats just not going to happen. so we shall see - gloves are on.....

I agree. I am a PR, I am registered for tax....If you don't get the paper, how were you suppose to know about it all anyway...Didn't even notice my id card ran out, I still use it and opened another bank account. I've used it with govenment departments as proof of id.
I think I wait and see what happens. It seems thay are breaking some EU laws with the application process anyway and will probably change.
Also, when I got my PR, they told me to do it quickly, before the changes, they said nothing about having to then do it all again. In fact, she encouraged me more to do it, so they had less to do later?

no - on  - am a boxer not a streetfighter

coxf0001 wrote:

Also, when I got my PR,

ps you are not PR, but have a permanent residency certificate, different thing

georgeingozo wrote:
coxf0001 wrote:

Also, when I got my PR,

ps you are not PR, but have a permanent residency certificate, different thing

Ok, you can tell I am confused over it all...What's a PR then??

PR is the old permanent residency scheme which has replaced by HNWI scheme, and then replaced with the Global something scheme earlier this year - you can't apply for it any more, but there are still a few hundred people registered under it

ps do you a permanent residency certificate, or merely a residency certificate with no expiry date on it ? I had the latter before getting my eResidency card

georgeingozo wrote:

PR is the old permanent residency scheme which has replaced by HNWI scheme, and then replaced with the Global something scheme earlier this year - you can't apply for it any more, but there are still a few hundred people registered under it

ps do you a permanent residency certificate, or merely a residency certificate with no expiry date on it ? I had the latter before getting my eResidency card

I have a permanant residency certificate, with no expiry on it...For being here longer than 5 years.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

I had you down as more of a Rottweiler

coxf0001 wrote:

I have a permanant residency certificate, with no expiry on it...For being here longer than 5 years.

thats the one you have to prove you've been here for 5 years plus, and a max 10 months absence in the last 5 years ? If so, what proof did you show them, as I'm planning on applying for that next year

georgeingozo wrote:
coxf0001 wrote:

thats the one you have to prove you've been here for 5 years plus, and a max 10 months absence in the last 5 years ? If so, what proof did you show them, as I'm planning on applying for that next year

Although incomplete, I had various bills, FS3's (p60's) and rent contracts. I also had my childrens Maltese birth certificates and anything else I could lay my hands on. I gave them email confirmation of any holidays (only 2) bookings that had been taken. There were huge gaps in it all but it was enough for them. The process to me 48 hours then!!!

Have replied to person that told me I need to resubmit all my documents, quoting the FAQ on the website that says I do not need to!  Item 4 on the link below.

e-residency FAQ's

I'll post a reply once received, but I am guessing that the reply won't be so swift this time!

martinparker wrote:

Have replied to person that told me I need to resubmit all my documents, quoting the FAQ on the website that says I do not need to!  Item 4 on the link below.

e-residency FAQ's

I'll post a reply once received, but I am guessing that the reply won't be so swift this time!

Thanks Martin!

I'm astounded!!  I have received a reply already and you can take the boxing gloves off toonarmy9752 :D

""Dear Mr. Parker,

Your request was referred again to the Department of CEA, who, in turn, have informed that if you have the Registration Certificate, then you do not need to bring certain documents again.  However, you have to make a copy of the Registration Certificate, a copy of the old ID card, a copy of the passport and fill the application forms.

Regards,

Nathalie Attard""

I have also inspected my Residence Document more closely and under type of document it says "Registration Certificate", so I do appear to have the correct piece of paper. :D

Hooray!!

martinparker wrote:

I'm astounded!!  I have received a reply already and you can take the boxing gloves off toonarmy9752 :D

""Dear Mr. Parker,

Your request was referred again to the Department of CEA, who, in turn, have informed that if you have the Registration Certificate, then you do not need to bring certain documents again.  However, you have to make a copy of the Registration Certificate, a copy of the old ID card, a copy of the passport and fill the application forms.

Regards,

Nathalie Attard""

I have also inspected my Residence Document more closely and under type of document it says "Registration Certificate", so I do appear to have the correct piece of paper. :D

Hooray!!

Yay!! Well done. Do you mind me using your letter as proof for when I get down there?

I know it does say somewhere on these posts but where is it, as I've heard it has moved again since last year??

Of course, no problem quoting the reply I received from Nathalie.  Here is a link to the residence page on the website, which has the current address and times - I can only assume it is correct, but perhaps an email or call first may be a good idea!!

Residence page on the MHAS website

georgeingozo wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

I had you down as more of a Rottweiler

that could be a fair assessment, depending on who it is that encroaches into my backyard.

i think theyve moved to the old id card office down by fort st elmo at the bottom of merchant street and/or republic street

coxf0001 wrote:
martinparker wrote:

""Dear Mr. Parker,

Regards,

Nathalie Attard""

Hooray!!

Yay!! Well done. Do you mind me using your letter as proof for when I get down there?

I know it does say somewhere on these posts but where is it, as I've heard it has moved again since last year??

Let's hope it's Natalie that you see! ;)

The problem is that the process has been moved between two departments, two Governments and three buildings since its inception.
All of them have meddled with it but failed to inform neither the staff, other government departments or the public in a timely manor.
It now seems that everyone has their own interpretation of what is required by whom.
Still it could be worse!!

Terry

or manner even!!!!

Yep it has moved back to Evans Building near the Malta Experience. Expect a long queue and lots of confused, irate people. I was there for three hours yesterday, but was because I was waiting to hand in documents.