National Parks and Foreigners

I've been told by word of mouth that all foreigners now must have a guide at all times to enter any national park in Ecuador.  This rule doesn't apply to Ecuadorian residents in groups of 5 or less.  Does anyone know more information about this new change or can at least confirm it?  I was planning to go to Cajas NP sometime soon, but not if I have to pay a guide to hold my hand.   I'm liking the government here less and less.

Sunday I visit el Cajas and it was a couple of foreigners groups walking by themselves.

This rule makes no sense, but notice some of the trails are long and risky, then you need an experience guide and this apply to other National Parks located in the rainforest or volcanos.

Vinny

Thanks, my boss and his American wife (not resident yet) were denied entry into Cotopaxi NP last weekend because they didn't have a guide.  They were told that this is the new rule.  Perhaps it's only enforced in the more popular parks.

And I remebered like a month ago a tourist died on Cotopaxi, she was hiking alone, get lost and fall down from a clif.

Maybe this's the reason of the new rule.

Vinny

I think you are correct.  Her accident was on the mountain Rumiñahui located inside Cotopaxi National park.  I met her the week before.  She was supposed to climb with our group up Volcano Cotopaxi that weekend. 

The new regulations seemed to have started with a 5,000 meter limit after 3 deaths on Illiniza Sur in October.  The rule was, anyone going over 5,000 meters above sea level needed a guide.  I hope the regulations stop expanding with this newest one.  I was planning on taking friends and family to some easy trails in Cotopaxi NP without the structure, time limits, excess people, and added cost of guided tours out of Quito.  This won't be happening now.     

I hope these rules don't hurt the climbing tourist industry in Ecuador.  I've already heard from a couple of climbers in the States who have now decided to skip their trip to Ecuador and are choosing places like Bolivia or Peru for their climbing vacation.

Vinny, you raise a good point. Frequently as expats we assume safeguards of “home” are found everywhere. That there will not be large rocks in the highway, that signs will warn us of hazards such as a closed traffic lane, that someone will make sure the bungee cord is safe, that manholes will be covered, that signs will advise the proper direction, etc. etc. As a third world country Ecuador does as best they can with very limited resources to protect citizens. Expats have to reset their expectations and accept “they are no longer in Kansas”.