Musician question

I am a musician and have played professionally most of my life; would I be legally permitted to play and earn money as a newcomer to CR please?

thanks

Hi haye8490 and welcome to the forum!

Hope that you'll soon be advised,
Harmonie.;)

I have done a few concerts in bars and hostels around Costa Rica, and I've also played on the streets with no problems.  There is a "noise law" so make sure the bar/restaurant has a permit for that first.  If you are a singer you will probably have better luck getting work in the tourist towns i.e. Tamarindo, Jaco, Puerto Viejo...

soy saxofonista me gustaria saber como funciona las cosas por costa rica

Hi saxofon!

As this is the anglophone forum could you please post in English?

Thanks
Armand

I'm a pro Singer from U.S. wanting to perform a great tourist act,classic songs perfect for the American tourist age demographic with disposable income to travel.I have a self contained Back track music show that allows me to perform without a band.Interested in finding a booking Agent,Costa Rica Keyboardist,or meeting those with helpful suggetions.Im single and would be open to meeting a nice Lady as well.Singer; Evan Torch.please feel free to email me at;[email protected] you may also google my name;Evan Torch (the voice of legends) or find me on facebook.I have vocal demo upon your [email protected] I'm interested in long term relocation as well.

A musician,(Artist) who hopes to work while living here be be required to apply for a special permit. You need to apply at the  Embassy of Costa Rica
These permits are issued for six months, but can be extended for up to two years

It will not permit you to work at other jobs.

Thanks for the info...at least I could play for a few years. Thx...

Singer / Entertainer looking for musician/keyboadist living in Costa Rica that has entertaiment resort connections to get booked.Singer has world class voice,p.a.,back track music and perfect act for upscale American or international tourists!is there any money to be made performing this duet act in Costa Rica or other location your aware of.respond to email;[email protected]     THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME !

I'll be there shortly after jan 10, 2014. I have been playing music most of my life. I'm a guitarist/vocalist. My background is in classic rock, blues, and soul music. We should keep in touch if your going to be heading to Costa Rica.

Do you know if that "six month permit" actively extends the 90 day visa for tourist?

It is a separate permit. While on a tourist visa, you are not legally permitted to work.
There isn't the same type of clubs that you may be used to, here.

haye8490 wrote:

I am a musician and have played professionally most of my life; would I be legally permitted to play and earn money as a newcomer to CR please?

thanks

Hi Haye,   :)

Camouflage yourself in a music band, but watch out: if you play too well or out of tune, the word will go out and Police will find you ...    :whistle::whistle:

There are a few options available for musicians. You can obtain a work visa as a self employed person or you can obtain a work visa as an artist. My suggestion is to try to obtain some sort of immigration status, otherwise it will be difficult to function.

I would be thrilled to play professionally- I've done it in the US - but would very much like to get together with other musicians and just play. I would only do it in public for money because I  would not want to undercut working musicians. What are my prospects?
dp46........You're mistaken and too casual about this.The chances are,you are putting yourself in danger playing music on the streets,in a country that is not yours and that people are desperate.
Hi dp46,

Welcome to expat.com!
Please note that this thread had been inactive since 2013. If you want to discuss a specific topic or if you have other questions, please do not hesitate to create a new discussion on the Costa Rica forum.

Vero
Expat.com team