Looking for a place to stay in Brussels

Hi,

I am Lud, Indonesian, just arrived in Brussels and looking for place to stay, prefer around Schaerbeek, any info please let me now.

And would be great if could meet some of you here...

Lud

Hello Lud.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

What kind of accommodation are you looking for?

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Lud !

What type of accommodation are you looking for ?

Regards.

Hello!

I'm looking for a 2 -bedrooms flat in Brussels to rent from February or March for 1 year. Possibly furnished and not so far from the EU quarter.

Do you have any tips?

Best,

Laura

Hi Laura !

I need your full name, e-mail and phone to send you more info.

Regards,

Zsolt

Hi, My name is poline, I am moving to Brussels in March, Can anyone give me a bit of information on living costs? I have been offered a 3000 euros gross monthly salary and I am not sure if it will cover my expenses. Any type of information will be gladly appreciated.

If 3k per month gross on a 13.92 month contract (the 1.92 months is accrued in the first 12 months), you have no dependents, you will live like a queen if you take a 1 bedroom apartment in a not so expensive area! I bring up 4 kids on less than that,

Thank you so much for your message. As you can see I wrote my question last night at 1 am. Although I am fascinated with moving to Brussels I am a bit scared because I can not find the right information online e.g what is the minimum wage, average wage,

The amount seems okay but then taxation. it is very high in Belgium. I have been told that literaly half of my wage will go on taxes.

Where do you live?  I am just trying to find as much information as I can about living in Brussels from someone who actually lives there. I will probably move to Zaventem (wikipedia said it's about 10 km from brussels)in March.

Thank you,
Poline

The minimum wage is roughly 1500 gross per month.

Taxation is not necessarily high at all actually. It is tailored to personal circumstances. You can claim many things to reduce your tax bill, such as child care and mortgage payments, home improvements etc. Single people who don't own property probably get hit most by this, but with no dependents, well all your money is yours. Imagine sharing your salary between 5 people. Yes probably around half your salary will go in taxes. You'll probably get offered also either almost free public transport or a company car and some even get a fuel card so they can drive around in their personal time all for free! You'll probably also get meal vouchers which could be worth an extra €150 a month and that could cover your entire food bill. So if you're left with €1500 a month after tax, transport and food covered, you could take a studio for €500, bills for €150, that leaves you with €850 excess to spend how you like on luxuries.

Where are you going to work? Zaventem is immediately attached to Brussels region so the edge of Zaventem is 1mm from Brussels!!!!

I have been offered a job with HP. No, they do not offer all those perks.

You are right it is going to be easier since I do not have children and all those financial responsibilities that come with parenthood. BUt I still have student loans, and I really wish to pay them off as early as possible. SO the extra money you mentioned will go towards paying the education debt.

I am google ing right now zaventem. Another question, do people speak English a lot? I know the majority speaks Dutch and French
Thanks

I am assuming it's HP in Diegem, an area of the town of MACHELEN. It's also just outside Brussels. The most convenient place to live is either in Diegem village, Zaventem main town or in an area of the commune (town) of EVERE 1140, it's part of Brussels region. I'd go for the area called Bordet/St Vincent. There are lots of new apartments up there at very reasonable prices for Brussels. Or further into Brussels in the commune of SCHAERBEEK, but just be careful where you live there, some areas nicer and safer than others. If you look at the A201 road that HP is on, which goes past NATO and into Brussels, thise is where Bordet area of Evere is off and further into Brussels centre it becomes Schaerbeek commune.

I'd be very very surprised if you are not offered the meal vouchers - in French cheques repas - but most companies are moving over to a smart card, although people still refer to them as cheques repas. I've never heard of a Belgian contract employee who didn't have these. Also I think employers are obliged to subsidise public transport tickets if they don't offer a company car, typically they offer 90 to 100%.

Something like this as a self-contained apartment, you can rent for less in shared apartments.
http://www.immoweb.be/en/Rent.Estate.cf … ry&xpage=1

Yes many people speak Engish here, some Belgians use it to talk when it's a francophone to Nederlanderphone, it avoids the language barrier of which of their languages to use. Of course you'll find a bit of rudeness to foreigners, especially if you are British, you'll find Belgians can be immensely rude, that's just the way they come across, they call it "direct", I call it rude. You mustn't take it personally.

I am looking 2 bed rooms, maximum Euro 750 (Include Charges)

Hi Polina,
I am coming to brussels next week to start working at Toyota and I am planning to live in Zaventem area. Although, my company gonna provide initial accommodation for a month with a possibility of 2 months more but I am planning to move to a new apartment in a month or so. Saying that, I am looking for a roommate to move to a new place. If you are interested, then lemme know and we can search somewhere in zaventem for a 2 bedroom apartment. I am originally from india and living in US for last 8 yrs.
Raj

Is it possible to write in grammatical English? I find it very hard to read this. "lemme" what does that mean, "gonna". Sorry I'm not usually a grammar nazi but if you want to attract people to your advert, it would help if you wrote in grammatical English.

Sorry "schoolmum" if my post offended you which was definitely unintentional. I think "lemme" and "gonna" are very commonly used slang these days, atleast, people of our generation. Moreover, my post was intended for polina and since I was unable to write to her directly, so, replied on this forum.

hey,its me chief-manado

if I was u,try to contact u Indonesian consular,they have contacts with all Indonesian expats
hoppe u already find something'
my house is to be rented for October 2014 in Ghent,its not to far from bruxelles,but
wish u success,let me know
[email protected]
sama-sama

@ manado > Do note that you have posted on a one year old thread here and i think that the initiator has already found an accommodation since then.

As such, i will advise you to post your accommodation offer in the Houses for rent in Brussels section, it might help you to find a tenant soon.

Thanks

Priscilla   :cheers: