Costa rica vacation home invasion

My vacation home was rented and the tenants the victims of a home invasion and held at gunpoint while the house was robbed. How to I pursue this crime if they choose not to -- what are my rights? Do I have to file my own police report? The victims provided very detailed descriptions and I want to ensure thse jerks are pursued. What are the sentences like in Costa Rica for a violent home invasion?

You can approach the local police station and report a 'delito contra la propiedad en los que medie violencia contra las personas o fuerza sobre las cosas' against the unknown assailants.
As you have the description of the assailants in detail at hand, the police would register a complaint pronto.

Hi and welcome to the forum  rebeljake !

Sorry to hear about that.
I hope the other members will be able to help you out.

Regards
Armand

That is horrible!  I am glad your tenants are physically safe. I do hope someone presses charges and they are caught!  In what city did this happen?  In the city, rural?

Just let it go.... the police there don't really investigate attacks that do not involve death.
I know it's hard to just "suck it up" and forget it, but that's the best thing to do in Costa Rica.

When someone says "there" referring to anyplace, it's clear  they're not there. For folks who aren't "there", it's likely they aren't well versed on what's happening "there right now.  I'd ignore those folks, and file a report.

Another consideration would be that if you have insurance that covers your losses as a result of the home invasion the insurer will require a police report before they will pay out any claims. This applies anywhere in the world.

If your property was furnished and anything that didn't specifically belong to your renters was taken during the robbery then YOU are also a victim of the crime and have every legal right to file a police report.

Some may say, "just suck it up" or "the police won't do anything about it". Well, that may well be true, but it isn't the point. The point is if you're out of pocket because your belongings have been stolen, what are you going to do to recover even in part that loss? If it takes a police report to satisfy your insurer then so be it. If you have no insurance coverage then it's highly unlikely you'll ever get anything back, so yes in that situation "suck it up" would be the correct advice.

As far as you're concerned, to the justice system you are nothing more than the victim of a property crime (pretty low on the totem pole as far as offenses go). Unless you were actually there when the crime took place then you'd never be considered the victim of a crime of violence and thus couldn't make that kind of complaint, just a property crime complaint.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

This whole discussion seems to be  a moot point since the home invasion was a over a year ago...so I highly doubt that one could make a complaint now.

One Gringo filed a theft complaint against a local Tico and was eventually charged with defamation of character.  What would anyone have to gain by reporting a break in or armed robbery in Costa Rica?  Do you really think that the police will make diligent efforts to find the guys you are complaining about?  If it's a death they will make a half hearted attempt to find the killer, but other than a murder report you are wasting your time.  The last thing they want is to listen to a moaning Gringo, especially if he doesn't speak a word of English.  Tell a Costa Rican cop someone has stolen your refrigerator and he'll have a good laugh with the rest of the guys when he gets back to the station.  His thinking is; "Just go out and buy another fridge you rich Gringo", and stop wasting my time.

The cost of insurance in Costa Rica for petty theft is very high, it's most likely less expensive to go out and buy a new made in China television etc.  One major mistake you can make in Costa Rica is to start pointing fingers or suspecting anyone of being the guilty party.  Making that mistake once can brand you as an undesirable in your neighbourhood, especially if you live amongst Tico people.  The most important thing is to "get back to your normal life as soon after the event as possible", and stop dwelling on how you've been victimized.  Advertising your being victimized to other Gringos does nothing but put a negative effect on their lives.  You are in Costa Rica to enjoy your retirement "right"?

Unfortunately, home break ins are common, though usually not with guns. Usually they come when no one is home.
It is true that the Costa Rican police really don't try very hard to catch thieves.
As for insurance, who the hill has theft insurance in Costa Rica? I didn't even know it was available but if it is, it must cost a small fortune!

To defend against armed robbery there is really not much one can do.
But otherwise, one should have automatic lights, good locks, post No Trespassing signs (I know, not much of a deterrent really but I have been told it helps!), dogs, and a loud alarm. Maybe let the community know you are armed and will use your gun to defend your property and family... Maybe a sign at your entrance that says (in Spanish): "I will shoot trespassers and thieves."

But after being robbed, not really much you can do. Prevention is the best policy.

One guy has a 120 volt copper wire which he turns on at night, it sits about 18 inches off the ground.  It has roasted a few racoon type animals and a stray dog but no humans yet.  That's a bit extreme but desperation makes people do desperate things to protect their homes.