Rent car in KL, what can I expect to pay?

Hi,

I have contacted a couple of local companys and asked for a quote on a 1-year lease (including full insuranse) on a compact local car. The "best" quotes so far are:

Perodua Kembara Auto  year make 2005 RM 1500/month
Perodua Myvi Auto year make 2012 RM 1800/month
Proton Waja  Auto year make 2006 RM 1600/month

Are theese prices what I can expect to pay or will I be able to negotiate as far down as RM 1000/month?

I will be living a stones throw from KLCC, so I am not sure if I even need a car on a full time basis. When I moved to Bangkok from Phuket I ended up selling my giant Nissan Navara after 6 months beacause of the traffic. So bying is out of the question.

Best Regards

Kent

Does no one even have a clue about this?!?

That's okay amount for rental.
Rental for local or cheap south korean cars with auto trans are around 1500-2000 per month.

oh1jty wrote:

That's okay amount for rental.
Rental for local or cheap south korean cars with auto trans are around 1500-2000 per month.

Thanks for that, then i know!

Kent

The price should be great. If it is KLCC, I suggest that you to find a "compact car". And If you can ride a bike, I suggest you to take one.. rather than driving.

bornd wrote:

The price should be great. If it is KLCC, I suggest that you to find a "compact car". And If you can ride a bike, I suggest you to take one.. rather than driving.

Definetly, a compact car is a must. And as for the motorbike, I'm well used driving the bike in Bangkok, so that's not a problem. The problem comes when I want to go to IKEA on the weekend and bringing my wife and 4-year old on the bike. In Thailand it's ok to go 5 people on the bike, however I don't think the police in Malaysia will like that... am I wrong?

Kent

[moderated: free ad is not allowed. Please register in the business directory. Thank you]

Hi Praveen,

Thanks for your post. I will be arriving in early October and will be needing a car ASAP! Could you please give some price examles for one year rentals inkluding make and year please. 
On your facebook page you have posted a price example of RM 55/day when renting 30+ days; I would expect this price to come down on a one year rental?

Kent

[Moderated: No free ad]

Did you manage to sort out the rental? I'm in the process and I may be able to help, feel free to reach out.

jaymer wrote:

Did you manage to sort out the rental? I'm in the process and I may be able to help, feel free to reach out.

Welcome to EB. 
Just note that this is an old thread.

hi, this is Sid, i always come here to help expats, no worries when you are fully done with your things i will let you know how to get a car more than this amount you are asking for and trust me you can get an awesome count at the end of the day, so dont you worry be intact

Since you guys have woken up his old thread that I once started I might as well let you all know what I ended up paying:

RM 11.000/year for a brand new (5.000 k's) Proton Saga FLX MT on a one year lease. Fully insured of course.

Kent

Hey Kent, I am moving to Malaysia and would be working out of Cyberjaya, was wondering if you had to pay the entire amount at once or you paid monthly. Any suggestion would be of great help.

If I may comment. Paying up front may save a bit of money but if problems arise there is no bargaining point. Suggest monthly is better but be careful that the vehicle is insured as a hire car and get insurance certification in case you are stopped at one of the many road blocks.

Thanks a ton! That actually helps :)

Did you manege to get the car you were looking for?

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum.]