So confused yet excited to re-locate

Hi all, My name is John and I'm 53.  I am in the (very beginning) process of considering relocating to Panama.  I currently live in Buffalo, NY (BRRRR) and am considering the snowbird options when I retire in about 6 years.  I love the look of Panama City and love city life, yet want a beach feel also.  So my focus right now is on Panama City, Gorgona or Coronado.  I chose those 2 beach locations as they are only an hour or so from the city.  I would hope to rent out my "home" until I retire so that is a major factor in the location I choose.  As my head is spinning from all the information on the internet, can someone familiar with Panama help with any info on these 3 locations.  I am scheduled to  make my first visit this February and would love to meet for coffee and pick anyone's brains.  We are staying in Casco Viejo on that trip.  Thanks for any info.

Hi John,

I am originally from Buffalo.  I have a lot of family still in the city in fact.

We had moved to Boquete so I can't give you living information on the areas you asked about, just on life in Panama in general.

Have a good visit.

Jvolpe wrote:

Hi all, My name is John and I'm 53.  I am in the (very beginning) process of considering relocating to Panama.  I currently live in Buffalo, NY (BRRRR) and am considering the snowbird options when I retire in about 6 years.  I love the look of Panama City and love city life, yet want a beach feel also.  So my focus right now is on Panama City, Gorgona or Coronado.  I chose those 2 beach locations as they are only an hour or so from the city.  I would hope to rent out my "home" until I retire so that is a major factor in the location I choose.  As my head is spinning from all the information on the internet, can someone familiar with Panama help with any info on these 3 locations.  I am scheduled to  make my first visit this February and would love to meet for coffee and pick anyone's brains.  We are staying in Casco Viejo on that trip.  Thanks for any info.

I am very familiar with Coronado, Gorgona and surrounding areas. Been here for four years. If you would like to meet and talk when you arrive here I would be glad meet up with you.

We're in David and I'm not familiar with your locations but in general, excellent idea to come visit and see how it feels to you. Are you planning to buy a "home" in Panama and then rent it while you wait for retirement? You might consider just renting in Panama when you relocate. Then if for some reason you want to do something different you aren't stuck. I don't know if this is true for your areas, but here in David rents are less expensive than owning. Our probably $80-90K house is renting for $385/mo.

Good luck with your trip! How exciting. Let us know how it goes

Kris

Jvolpe wrote:

Thank you Marica for your offer.  Prior to my arriving, I will contact you throught this site.  In the meantime, my main question is which is a more rentable area, Panama City or Gorgona.  I know one is a true urban enironment and the other a beach area, but is there enough in Gorgona for this to be a desirable vacation spot for people to want to rent in?  I know Coronado is very desirable.