Retiring in Mauritius?

Good afternoon expats,

I'm writing an article for Weekly magazine about foreigners who have chosen to retire in Mauritius. Would anyone like to share their retirement experiences with me?

Thank you!

Lina Pascal, Weekly.

The problem I have found with the majority of expats who choose to retire in Mauritius is that they tend to criticise the people and the country and live in enclaves. However, these same people are very vocal in their own countries about migrants not assimilating in their countries culture. Unfortunately the majority of expats who have chosen to retire in Mauritius do not respect the country or its people, particularly the non caucasian inhabitants of Mauritius. The expats who have chosen to retire in Mauritius are in the majority whingers and closet racists. I don't know why they have bothered to settle in Mauritius, I can only assume it is because of the low cost of living as the retirees, say in Australia could not possibly live on AUD 1200 per month which is the pension rate. I have returned to live in Mauritius after an absence of 45 years and I can only say that I wish my parents never took me out of my motherland. I lay the blame squarely at the feet of the political party of the 60's the PMSD who managed to scare the life out of the population they represented and push them to migrate to countries like Australia at their owm detriment. mauritian migrants had to call themselves French to escape the racism of Australia. So those Mauritians who are coming back to the homeland from Australia to retire are hurt people, hurt by the discrimination in Mauritus in the 60's and hurt by the discrimination and the prejudice they have had to endure in Australia. Mauritius is a very good country to live in, so expats, cut the BS and the whinging and enjoy the peaceful existence that the country offers, if you are prepared to accept that Mauritius is multicultural in the true sense of the word.

Hi ozmau!

The article is for and about foreigners who have chosen to retire to Mauritius so i guess part of your post is off topic :/

Regards
Armand

38 years ago I came on holidays to Mauritius for the first time and fell completly in love with this country and THE PEOPLE . Today I am 61 divorced and decided to retire in Mauritius on my own . I did with my husband at the time adopted two coloured mauritian children aged 28 and 27 today. One is indian chinese and the other is creole
You cant say then that  I am a racist immigrant . I live in trou d'eau douce which is out of the way of the bling bling society and I am terribly happy with my every day needs ( sea, sun and health )
If you want to know more about me , just contact me .....

Never mind ausmu - he will probably find some place in the world where he can find happiness - we retired here from Australia 5 years ago and have found nothing but welcome on all fronts - the government can be a little tiresome and frustrating at times, but ah well "life goes on" !

It is probably easier for us because my wife is of Mauritian parentage so we have been able to buy property etc, but we have many expat friends who are happy here - that said, they are mostly unhappy about the uncertain residency status which is accorded to them. Most were told they would have permanent residency after their first three years and are now told that the legislation has not yet passed through parliament.

Look at the advertisements in the airline magazines and that promise is still being made!