Considering Ecuador, currently in Philippines

Hi -- I'm an American currently living in Cebu City, Philippines. I've been here since June and have (pretty much) decided it's not the place for me for several reasons -- the weather being probably the biggest.

I plan on staying another several months to be sure I've given it a fair try, and then return to the US for a couple months to visit, and then on to the next place -- which at this point looks like Ecuador.

Given my aversion to weather here, I'll be staying away from Guayaquil -- their weather is almost identical to Cebu City. Quito and Cuenca seem the best choices, but I'll probably also check out some of the other mountain cities. I like city amenities, so I probably won't choose anything smaller than 150,000-200,000 or so.

The pensioners visa looks like a great deal and I'd like to go that route. Most of the posts I've seen here about getting one seem to be predicated on coming there first on a tourist visa and then initiating the process in Ecuador. Is there a reason (e.g., high costs) for not getting the pensioners visa in the US before coming there? It seems like it would be easier to deal with a process involving a lot of documents at the place where the documents (letter from SS, police report, birth certificate) exist. That way, if I leave something out on the first try, it's easy to get it and try again.

In any case, I'm looking forward to participating here. I will probably ask a lot of questions. At this point, I probably can't help others too much, unless it's on something where a general expat perspective could help out.

Bob

Hello and welcome to this forum.

yes, there's always many questions about getting a Visa and is difficult to get a clear answer.

If you want to get your paperwork done at home you can contact a inmigration lawyer in Ecuador and he can help you with the docs you need, check them by email and make sure you have all you need. But anyways you have to finish the Visa here.

Also, you can get help for other expats who already get the Visa.

Good luck

VInny

Thanks, Vinny.

According to another thread here, the police report needs to be no more than 30 days old (some say 90 days, but Id rather err on the safe side) -- which would mean getting it just before I leave the States and then initiating the pensioner visa process fairly quickly after I arrive. Is that what most folks do?

It appears most people recommend using an attorney, so I'll probably do so. But I'll wait on asking for recommendations until I'm nearer to the time.

Thanks again.

Bob

Hello,

I don't know about the police report but as new as better. And that's apply for most of the documents you need.
You can initiate your pensioners visa as soon as you can, once the Visa is on the system you can stay in the country for as long as you need until your Visa is aproved.

Other expats choose to be her for around a month to find out is they realy like it here, and then get the Visa.

And if you need a recommendation for an attorney, let me know.

Good luck
Vinny

Thanks again. I'll get the police report (and other stuff) when I'm back in the US.

And I'll take you up on the attorney recommendation then, too.

Bob

hello would glady help you out with all your questions about ecuador , i lived there before and i love it over there  here is my email [email protected] hope to here from you soon take care

Thanks, Al. I will be sending you questions as they come up, and as I get closer to making the move.

Here's one question I asked on another thread, but haven't seen an answer yet: What is the quality/speed of internet service in Ecuador?

I have seen mention that TV Cable may be the best provider, but I haven't seen any numbers about download/upload speeds. Here in Cebu, I'm going nuts with the slowness (generally less than 0.5mbps) and unreliability of the service. I'm not expecting the 12-15mbps I used to get from Comcast in the US, but I hope for some improvement.

Bob

Bob, I live in Quito and need good Internet to connect to Miami office. We use TV Cable at a cost of $60/month for 1 Mbps which is fine (we connect vonage, two Apple TV's, two iPads, an iPhone, Sonos, and my office computer.) I suggest you bring a good router and an extender as one Internet providers use are junk.

Thanks, fdmcg, that's good info. Although I'm retired, I still do a bit of free-lance work for US-based companies.

1mbps is probably fast enough to do most things -- I've noticed that on the rare occasions I get a connection that fast, that I can watch a YouTube video, for example, without it pausing. I use Skype and often have difficulties because the slow connection causes the audio to break up.

Thanks for the hint on the router.

hello,

please do not go with an Ecuadorian lawyer, some of them will try to rip you off, and if they dont they will cost you lots of bucks, just go to El ministerio del exterior and request a translator, they will help you out, or try this website
www.mantasosguide.com

good luck

Thanks -- I bookmarked that.

I'm not sure whether I'll try to do it myself or hire a lawyer. I'll check out the rules and see how intimidating I find them at the time.

if you do not want to do it yourself just ask for help at the website I reffered to but dont use a lawyer

take care