New to Rio

Hi all,
My name is Jenny and my  fiancé and I arrived in Rio  4 days ago. I'm 31 and a fully qualified pe teacher. My fiancé is working on the World Cup project and is in the office already!  I'm looking for work but think it may take a while which means I have time on my hands! I would love to make some new friends and get involved in Rio life. We are staying near copacobanna at the moment so if you're in a similar situation and would like to meet for a coffee let me know.

Hi Jenny,

http://www.earlylearninghq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Welcome-poster.jpg

On behalf of the entire Expat-blog Team, welcome on board and welcome to Brazil. I hope your experience here on the blog will be both enjoyable and informative.

I live in Macaé which is about 3 hours north of Rio and come into Rio about once a month on personal business. Hope that one of these days we will get a chance to get together for a coffee and chat. When you have the time read the topics I've posted which appear at the top of the first Brazil Forum page with the yellow boxes. They will all be of great help to you.

If there's anything else you need to know about don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thank you William,
I will be sure to look at the info, so far it has been very useful.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

I"m Jenny too, :-) and from Melbourne Australia.
And I arrived in Rio about 7 weeks ago to be with my boyfriend. We live in Laranjeiras.
I would love to meet up for a coffee! Sure!

I'm looking to start a life here, and meet new people, make new friends,  and starting some kind of routine (yoga classes for example).  I was in Buenos Aires for a year, and now I"m in Rio to stay.

Hopefully we meet up. I"m available most of the week.
Let me know!

Jenny

I've just arrived in Rio last week myself and am based in Copacabana/Ipanema area. I don't know anyone here, and I don't know how long I will be here. But I think for the next 3months at least. I will be around for coffee if you are bored.

Hi Marisa,

http://www.earlylearninghq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Welcome-banner.jpg

On behalf of the entire Expat-blog Team, welcome on board. I hope you will find the blog both enjoyable and informative.

Check your private mailbox for my reply to your query.

Cheers,

Hi Jennifer,

I'm Claudia, i'm brazilian.
I've been living abroad with my family for 4 yrs and now we came back to Rio.
I'm looking for a native english teacher for my 6 yrs old girl. She's been studied for 3 yrs at The British School in The Netherlands. So i'm looking for a teacher to help her to keep up with her english in Rio.
Let me know either if you can do it or someone !
Thanks a lot
Welcome to Rio too!!!![small][/small

Hi Claudia,

On behalf of the entire Expat-blog Team welcome on board.

You should also place this as a free ad in our Brazil Classifieds section devoted to JOBS. It will get the same exposure there and will remain current, unlike in the forum where it will continue to move to the back pages as new topics are posted.

Good luck finding a teacher for your child.

Cheers,

Hi Claudia,

I realize it has been a while since your post but just wanted know if you found an English teacher for your daughter. I just moved to Rio with my husband from Miami and would be happy to help. I'm actually helping some of my husband's co-workers practice their English as well. Take care!

Laura

Hi Jennifer,

My name is Kayte.  I moved from the US to Rio a few weeks ago for my husband, but I work from home during the day.  I would love to meet up for a cup of coffee to chat and possibly speak English.  With my husband being a local, I find myself always being the odd man out in understanding the conversation.  It would be good to have a conversation in person speaking my native tongue.  Let me know if your interested.
Regards,
Kayte

Jenny, I'm also in Larenjeiras!!!  I'm hoping that we could meet sometime so that I actually know someone in the neighborhoold (other than known as my husband's american wife).

Please let me know if you would be interested in meeting up!
Regards,
Kayte

Hello Laura and Kayte,

It's my extreme pleasure, on behalf of the entire Expat-blog Team, to welcome you both to Brazil and Expat-blog.

I hope you're both getting well settled in and enjoying Rio. I'm sure you will both make lots of new friends here.

If there is anything I can help you with in terms of tips, information or advice please don't hesitate to send me a PM and ask.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi.Im from Manila.everytime I heard they called me SHING LING..Im not sure the spelling..what is this..is good words.or nasty words.Maybe I can ask the help of Senior wjwoodward.thanks

Hello Linux,

On behalf of the entire Expat-blog Team, welcome on board. I hope you will make lots of new friends here.

The term "xing ling" (pronounced shing ling) is an informal way, or street language, to refer to a cheap imitation of a product (usually cellular phones) which is generally produced in China and sold here in Brazil. Brazilians can't distinguish any difference between citizens of all of the Asian countries so to a Brazilian, they're ALL Chinese or Japanese.

It's rather difficult to answer your question as to whether it's being used in a good/friendly sense or in a bad or disrespectful way, since I'd really need to know the circumstances, tone and way in which it was said.

I do know that commonly call us occidentals GRINGO which started in Mexico to refer solely to Americans, here they even include Europeans in the term gringo. They refer to Japanese people as JAPA in the same way and Chinese as XING LING.

By nature Brazilians are very accepting of foreigners, they are in fact fascinated by most foreigners and want to know them and be around them. There's really not much xenophobia, racism and prejudice in Brazil (execept that against other South American nations and other Brazilian states). In most cases these terms are used to refer to foreigners in a friendly way and not as a sign of disrespect.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Ahhhhhhh ok now I know...so my nature is not lying ..by the way those are my friends they always teasing me.
Brazil is a very good country.Brazilians are friendly and we have almost same attitude in the Philippines maybe because of the religion..unlike in the middle east.
Now Im looking for any english speaking Evangelical or Baptist Church.Last week I attended in Evangelical Church in Icarai near in Shopping Plaza but the it was in Portuguese. Hope to find one
Thanks Mr.woodward

Hi

I am a qualified science teacher and have been living in Rio for 1 month. I am keen to meet others who are English speakers.

Harvey

Hi everyone
I'm planning on moving to brazil with my boyfriend early next year, as he's been offered work there.  We'll be based in rio, but just wondering if there is any advice on where is safe to stay? We need to find an apartment in zona sul, and we're looking around the copacabana area.
It will be a whole new experience for me, and will be on my own throughout the day, and most likely I won't be able to work..so would really like to stay somewhere safe..suggestions would be great!
Thanks!

Mary

Hi Mary,

Hope your boyfriend's job will pay him a lot of do-re-mi, cause Copacabana is Hellishly expensive. It is one of the most exclusive neighborhoods in Rio, right on one of the most beautiful beaches, real estate that has one of the highest prices per square foot in all of Brazil and where all of "the beautiful people" want to see and be seen!!!

It's surprisingly not one of the safest areas of Rio either, due to its proximity to favelas like Pavão-Pavãozinho, Cantagalo, Cabritos and the Ladeira de Tabajaras among others. It really is a beautiful place to see, but I'm not sure I'd want to live there even if I could afford it.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

You are going to love rio! Nice weather, friendly people. Lovely beaches ie. Copacabana, Leblon and Ipanema.