Taxes/social security/residency

I have a question: I work in France on assignments (short contracts) and I benefit from Social Security. I would like to open a business in the United States, and keep my work in France too. Can I do that? Where do I pay taxes? Can I reside 6 months in a country & 6 months in another? And how does this work with taxes and social security? (I have French and American nationalities). If no one can answer my questions, can you direct me to someone who knows?

valeriaaz wrote:

I have a question: I work in France on assignments (short contracts) and I benefit from Social Security. I would like to open a business in the United States, and keep my work in France too. Can I do that? Where do I pay taxes? Can I reside 6 months in a country & 6 months in another? And how does this work with taxes and social security? (I have French and American nationalities). If no one can answer my questions, can you direct me to someone who knows?

Yours is a complicanted case.
Best to get professional advice from professional tax accountants.

Hello valeriaaz,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

For better visibility and responses, your topic has been moved on the USA forum.

You may upload the USA expat guide.

Best of luck,
Christine

Americans have to file taxes with the IRS no matter where they work.  If you own a business in the US, you have to pay taxes no matter where you live.