Possible move to Montreal with husband and 2 young children

Hello

My husband  may have the opportunity to work in Montreal, Canada for 3 years with his company. We live near Edinburgh with our 2 children , 5 and 3, just now and I work part-time as a teacher.  We are just looking into things just now like living costs, education, lifestyle etc. We are both enthusiastic about the possible move but also apprehensive at the same time as we would be taking our children away from close family and friends and my son just started school in August and he is very settled there. I would probably be able to take a career break if we went as I would want to be around for my kids to settle them in a new country.  My husband is on a good salary here and if that sallary was matched over there then he would potentially be earning over 100,000 Canadian dollars. I have no idea if this is a decent enough salary to support us all as I would not be earning and we don't want to go there and have no spare cash to do things together as a family etc. Also not sure if my son would be able to attend and English speaking school that taught French as a separate subject as I am apprehensive about him attending an all French speaking school to begin with. Any tips, suggestions etc would be really helpful.

Hi Moclark,

Check out schools on the following link:

http://www.gsgi.co.uk/countries/canada/ … s-consider

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi,

A 100,000$ is an excellent salary to live in Montreal. I make much less with 2 kids and I rent a 4 1/2 (2 bedrooms) in an excellent condition for 800$.

I've been living in Montreal fro 17 years and it is a nice city to live in, its not too big not too small. You have also several kinds of architectural influences wich makes Montreal a nice city to visit.

hi

montreal is like european city but more secure and quiet..i live here since 1968 i com from france retired from bombardier aeronautique...the salary is very nice because the appartement cost about 800$ for 2 bedrooms..just on thing after 6 mons here you have to pay the incom taxe to governement canadian and quebec and is very expensive..ask your compagnie take care of that and you ok...every people from europe and other country love montreal..plenty parcs festivals..very quiet and secure...for the school you have english on or private no probleme...you like your experience believe me best regards al

Your salary is fine to live generously here. We are an expat family here (british and dutch) on a temporary visa. We have 2 small children, one attending pre-k (5yrs). If you're on a temp visa you can send your child to an English school, google Montreal English school board. I'll be happy to advice you in more detail should you want to know more.

Ari,

Would you please refrain from advertising on the open forums, it is not permitted.

If you wish to place a (free) and in our Classifieds section dedicated to housing you may do so.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

I agree.  Jurassic Jimmy's site is defective.  EB isn't all bad, though.

It says UNDER REVIEW because the Expat-blog Administration Team has to review it to make sure it meets their advertising criteria. No ads appear instantly.