Moving to Martinique

Hello Everybody

My husband and I would like to move to Martinique in the near future so we are researching business opportunities. In your opinion what is the best business to invest in and run if one intends to live in Martinique?

Also, we would be most grateful if you would be willing to talk to us and share some tips (10-15 min telephone conversation). In return we are extending an open invitation to come visit us in Canada (while we are still here) and stay with us for free,explore Toronto, Niagara Falls and surroundings.

Many thanks in advance and may you have a happy, healthy and abundant Christmas and New Year! :)

Anita & Scott

Hello Anita & Scott.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll be helped and advised by other members soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thank you Aurélie!
Unfortunately nobody has yet posted anything regarding Martinique. Do you have any suggestions on how we could get in touch with some North Americans who have moved to Martinique?
Wishing you and your family a New Year filled with good health and an abundance of joy, inner peace and wealth in all that you will undertake!
Anita

Hello Anita.

Here is the list of American expatriates in Martinique. :)

Wish you all the best in your project.
Happy New Year!

Thank you,
Aurélie

You are a darling Aurélie!
Thank you so very much!
Have a wonderful week!
If you and your partner ever want to come visit Canada, Toronto (while we're still here :)) your are most welcomed to come stay with us! We have a big house and love to have guests!
Hugs from Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Anita & Scott

My wife and I just moved to Martinique. We are Norwegians, but have spend the last few years in Florida.
The moving went very well. We used Omega Shipping in Miami to handle our household goods. They picked it up in Fort Myers, next day it was on the boat to Martinique. In fact, the whole thing went so fast that we were not prepared to handle it on the arrival day :-) The customs at Martinique was very helpful, there was only a small custom handling fee to pay :-) They even helped us arrange the transport from the harbour to our new house. All in all, a great experience :-)

Thank you for the information, about your move from Florida to Martinique. This type of information can be invaluable, to others. You never know who might read and use the information.

Personally, I'd like to know more details myself!

Hello Anita,

Hope it is not too late for an answer. The best business you can invest in in Martinique might be a grocery or a bakery. You might open a little shop as well. Martinican people loves corner shops, they are very useful. 
If you have already moved to Martinique, can you let us know how it feels, please ?

Elodie

Hi 
My name is Valdas. I really want to live in Martinique, but it's very hard done by because a lot of missing information. I'm looking for who could provide that information. So I appeal to you, maybe you can tell us how you started living in Martinique? Is it possible to find any work in English speaking? I began to learn the French language when I am on the island. The residence is also not clear how much is the cheapest 1 bedroom for rent. I arrived with my girlfriend.
respectfully Valdas

Good morning Larsen,

my name is Joele, I'm from Sainte-Luce (Martinique, and I'm living in Québec Canada since 15 years ago. I'm coming back to Martinique and I need to move my things. I've asked to several cies  the cost for a moving from Québec to Martinique and it's very high, too high. I had an idea to bring my things to Florida and send them to Martinique from Florida, because I think the moving could be cheaper. But I'd like to have some details of your experience and maybe some adresses of cies which are doing this moving from Florida to Martinique (or the contact you had in Omega). And for sure what did you have paid for what volume. And did you packaged your things yourself or did the cie made it for you.
I know there are a lots of questions but please, could you help me? It could be nice from you. (my englih isn't so good, so we can express in french if you prefer).

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi Joele,
We had our stuff packed by ourselves in a storage center in Fort Myers. The Omega guys came to the storage center and brought boxes to sort out and do inventory for the customs. We had a 22" container. Then they took the container to Miami (2,5 hrs drive) and shipped it by boat. Cost incl insurance was aprox us $ 5000. Then it was a handling fee at €375 on arrival in FDF. As Norwegians we did not have to pay taxes in Martinique, a custom fee at €80 was all we paid. Transport of container from harbour to the house was €400.
So, around us $ 5000 + €850 was the total cost. Very good service all the way and nothing was broken on arrival.
Hope this was useful, and welcome back :-)

Hello Larsan,

thank you very much to have answered back so quickly.
I just have other questions if you don't mind:

- What kind of insurance did you have?
- How long did you wait between the start from Florida by ship and the arrival at F-D-F?
- I have 17m3  do  you think it's the cost will be lower for 20m3 or it will be the same?
- Is this company is the same? : yelp.com/biz/omega-shipping-miami

thank you again for your kindness

Joele

Hello everybody.
I'm looking information about how is life in Martinique and beside the info I get from the web I wanted from locals who lives there and can share your point of view about my questions which is about moving with kids...
I am a single divorce mother who is thinking on moving to a French territory because is my second nationality and my baby 3 years old. But I'm concernd about her education and cost of life.
Is there any expert Mom or Dad that knows or would like to share with me what you know about Martinique on these topics.
How is an average house rent cost, School cost, services, all these need to settle.

I will very much appreciate it.
LOVE
ROMINA