Removed driving license.

Hi Guys,

First of all, guys, don't drink and drive in Mauritius. I just had my license removed for 9 month as well as a hefty fine for beeing at 0.26 on the ethylotest (cops told me 0.23 legal limit).

While I know driving after a few beers wasn't the smartest thing to do, it's a French driving license. While in theory I could still drive in France (since I didn't commit the offense in France), I no longer have access to my driving license, thus Mauritius courts have removed my ability to drive - world wide!

Has someone else gotten a similar experience? Did you manage to get around it? How?

Any insights v. much appreciated.

jhiver wrote:

First of all, guys, don't drink and drive in Mauritius.

Well, this advice applies not only in Mauritius...

Hi jhiver,

"While in theory I could still drive in France (since I didn't commit the offense in France)"

I'd check French criminal law and traffic codes if I were you, I think you will find your 'theory' is a bit off. Nowadays in most countries a driving while under the influence of alcohol charge in any other country is also registered in your home country and you would be also subject to a driving suspension and/or any other sanctions applicable (such as demerit points on your license) under your own nation's laws anyway. If you get a license suspension in any EU country you are prohibited from driving in all EU countries. Other nations routinely share information on driving convictions with all other nations. I'm surprised that you aren't aware of that fact.

http://www.mjha.gov.mt/DownloadDocument … d=9203&l=1

Drinking and driving afterwards really IS A BIG DEAL. Maybe one day those foolish enough to think otherwise will wise up. Unfortunately you found out the hard way. Use it as a learning experience.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the feedback, and yes I admit it wasn't very smart... but then again who's getting smart after a few too many beers :-)

Cheers

I am trying to figure out what that 0.23 really means. Is it the percent volume of alchohol in blood? if so, how does that relate to the gov't tables, which are expressed in mg/ml?

This FAQ:
http://www.gov.mu/portal/site/police/me … 6a12acRCRD

sets a limit to 80mg/100ml, so how that convert to 0.23?
The table there says that an average man should stand one litre of beer before being over. And that probably on an empty stomach, and then driving right away. Was that your case? If not, perhaps you should see a lawyer.

Silvano

Hello Silvano,

Please refer to the BAC information which can be found in Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content

If you will note a Blood Alcohol Content of 0.26 (which means 260 mg. of alcohol in 100 ml. of blood) is in the upper end of the range that would be normally considered as being severely impaired in most nations. This BAC is actually very much higher than permitted in countries such as Canada (0.05) and where (0.08) is a criminal offense; USA (0.08). It also represents for a person weighing 160 lb. (72.57 Kg.) 9 drinks.

The symptoms one would experience with this level of alcohol in the bloodstream are:

Stupor
Loss of understanding
Impaired sensations
Possibility of falling unconscious
Severe motor impairment
Loss of consciousness
Memory blackout

Clearly such an individual should never be in care and control of a motor vehicle. Even the best of lawyers are rarely successful in challenging a breathalyzer or blood/urine test since these are only on technical grounds such as malfunction or miscalibration of the device or improper training or use by the operator.

My advice to the original poster is to bite the bullet, accept the consequences and learn from the experience. Throwing good money after bad makes no sense whatever given the extremely remote chance of success.

Cheers,

Hey William, I think you're getting confused by the numbers... and what's with the condescending attitude :)

FYI 0.25 milligrams of alcohol per litre of breath equates to 0.50 g/l, and that's the legal limit here as well as in France, USA, etc.

I was at 0.27 milligrams per litre of breath so it's not as bad as you make it to be. I was slightly over the limit.

The worst part of it was when I told the cops there was no need going to the clinic for a blood sample because I knew I had a few too many beers (think I've had like 5x33cl but I'm a large 110Kg guy and I ate a bit as well that night...).

I assure you I wasn't seeing double or not walking straight when I was arrested...

Anyways they told me it was up to me but they didn't tell me that's an offense too! But ignorance is no defense... Soooo... damage to wallet 5000 Rs failure to give blood + 5000 Rs failure to give urine + "drinking under the influence of alcohol" 10 000 Rs + 9 month suspension.

My advice : go take the blood samples, even that annoys you and even if you let the cops know that you agree with the breathalizer reading!

My advice #2 : even better don't drink if that's possible but I know very well we're just humans, since i've been there done that...

As for biting the bullet, I've done that already and posted an ad to hire a driver. It's not like I have a choice yet. Heck, I might like it so much having my own driver I might not even want to drive again after 9 month :-)

Sorry jhiver, no condescending attitude intended here. I was simply stating the figures and the legal ramifications. If the conversion on the decimal scale is wrong then that is from Wikipedia. If you look at their charts the information is taken directly from there.

I was not referring to you in particular, but rather stating that anyone who had that level of blood alcohol content and displayed the stated symptoms clearly should not be in care and control of a motor vehicle. I'm sorry if you took that as a personal comment on your situation, it was not.

You made it clear from the outset that you accepted your part in the whole sorry situation, which I commend you for. I'm sure you have indeed learned a valuable lesson from it all and in the future won't even risk coming close to the line, never mind crossing it.

You're quite right about taking the time, no matter how inconvenient it may be, to have either a blood or urine test done as opposed to the Breathalyzer test alone since they are far more accurate and when one is very close to the limit there is really nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing so. As I pointed out if one simply accepts the Breathalyzer test as their only and final option, there is almost a zero chance of overturning the result in a court of law. The worst thing that can happen with the blood/urine test is that it will confirm the initial result, the best case scenario is that it will get you off the hook if you are actually under the allowable BAC. Especially in countries with extremely low BAC levels permitted by law or where refusal to provide a breath/blood/urine sample in itself is a criminal offense as it is in Canada for example.

Your second advice, which is one that truly hope many will take to heart, don't drink and drive is spot on. A taxi fare is far cheaper and returning later to pick up your car much less inconvenient than what you've gone through. Another option is arrange for a designated driver, one member of your group who will not drink alcohol and therefore be in perfect condition to drive legally. In Canada, the establishments that serve alcoholic beverages are required by law to provide all of a designated driver's non-alcoholic beverages free of charge. This has been significant in reducing the number of alcohol related accidents in Canada.

Cheers,