HELP!!!

I just arrived here today and I am in desperate need of some help from those of you who have been in BsAs for a while. I will be here long-term and brought several vital electronics with me. I bought a couple of converters to convert the voltage to USA electronics. They don't work! I've been hearing lots of buzzing and smelling burning smells.......no bueno. Of course, it wasn't until I got here that I learned that I should have brought TRANSFORMERS and not converters with me. Please tell me 1) What type of transformer I need (specifics are more than welcome) 2) Where I can buy them here in BsAs 3) How much they'll run me down here which leads to 4) should I just have them sent to me from the states. Please help!

Okay: first of all, what kind of electronics are you talking about? Do they connect direct to the mains or do you plug in a wall wart and connect a low voltage cable to the device? Most items including computers, phone chargers, shavers etc now use switched mode power supply units which are rated from 100v through to 250v 50Hz/60Hz and can be used pretty well anywhere without any trouble. Take a look at your power supply units and read the specifications. Very little stuff uses transformers any more. If you have smelt burning then you might have already let the "magic smoke" out in which case you may be looking at repairs before the kit works again. Or possibly at just buying an off-the-shelf psu.

Thanks for getting back to me. I think I've gotten it all straightened out. I think.....

It sounds crazy but anything European works here, USA/Canadamerica not so good, pleased you got it sorted .... and never discount the possible local electricity problem where you are, the amps are the problemm not necessarily the volts

Hi.if you want we can meet together show to me your device ,maybe its easy to run it here, i will show you where to buy too if its necessary

Hello seyedmahdihm

Kindly note that you are participating on a thread inactive since 2013!

[Time to close this thread down ]

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Closed