Feeling lonely and old.

Hello,
I've spent my life at work, just for a job as a secretary ! Because of that I couldn't find real relations or friends in this country and I've lost my german friends.
I got througha very difficult period at work and  now I feel lonely and old. Are there other members with similar problems ? How did you deal with that ? 
Rgds

Openwings wrote:

Hello,
I've spent my life at work, just for a job as a secretary! Because of that I couldn't find real relations or friends in this country and I've lost my german friends.
I got througha very difficult period at work and  now I feel lonely and old. Are there other members with similar problems ? How did you deal with that ? 
Rgds

1 Take ONE day at a time
2 Start a hobby or revitalise yourself by exercising
3 Get out and make friends. Say hello to 3 new person each day.
4 Start living.
Good luck.

I'm going through the same thing right now. It doesn't help that my younger friend keeps reminding me I'm old. After returning back to the States the only friends I've managed to ultimately keep in touch with are those in Asia. Since I have no friends in the USA I just keep myself busy with learning Chinese /working and going to church. I don't try to involve myself too much into things because I don't seem to make any connections here. It was so much easier to make friends in Asia than it is here. So I've gotten on a few sites such as penpal sites and social networking sites to make some friends that way.

I'm expecting myself to be alone for the rest of my life and when that day come for sure I'll be going back to my family, for they are the only one I have in my life.:)

JasfurJQ wrote:

I'm expecting myself to be alone for the rest of my life and when that day come for sure I'll be going back to my family, for they are the only one I have in my life.:)

If you lived a million years ago, I would understand.
Today, there is an estimated 7.058 billion (by the United States Census Bureau). If you are still alone, perhaps, you prefer to be?

Ya
It is really hard some time
we have to opose something to get
But we should always SAy THANKS TO AL MIGHTY

Get out and about.
Don't sit around feeling sorry for yourself.
Make an effort, if you don't you will become even lonelier.
It is up to you.

you leave two kids together and they can play for hours
even though they are of different colours, religion and whats else...
have we grown so much that we forgotten how to be together?

Hello Openwings,

You have so much to offer because you are "not too old". There are many people and organizations that would benefit from your wisdom and experience. Volunteer, that is a great way to get the feeling that you are helping others and believe me it will make you feel better about yourself. Best Wishes!

There's a lifetimes worth of subjects on expat forums. There's a new hobby.

you wanna be happy and full of life again , very simple : do what you love , do everything with love
try to make three people smile each day and you will see , beleive me it's like magic

Hello,
I am a secretary before. and make me very busy, having exciting moment because i deal with many persons, learn many things every day. start to feel exciting with the job you get now. secretary is an interesting job if you are not lock yourself in clerical work only. you can practice your communication skill beside the business itself.

Hope this can give you an idea. Have a nice and great time.

houwayda wrote:

you wanna be happy and full of life again , very simple : do what you love , do everything with love
try to make three people smile each day and you will see , beleive me it's like magic

Did that this morning.
I did what i loved: Nothing
I did everything with love: Nothing
I made three people smiled: Nothing
Now I am trying to get back my 5 bucks :(

Hallo Openwings, haben Sie meine Nachricht erhalten? Ich hoffe immer noch auf eine baldige Antwort. Bis denn, morningmist aus Lille.

@morningist -> Can you please write in english on this English speaking forum? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

here i'm
feel the same . although i'm Egyptian and married , but my dutch wife went back to Netherlands due to current situation in Egypt and i really feel so lonely ..... don't know what to do

Hi,
It may be easier said than done but try to adapt some of these rules:

Rules for Happy Living:

1.  Count your Blessings not your Troubles.
2.  Do at Least ONE Good DEED a Day.
3.  Say "I Love You"
4.  Be a GiveR not a TakeR
5.  Seek for Good in Everyone and Everything.
6.  Try to Pray, Everyday.
7.  Learn to Keep Priorities In Line.
8.  Let NO Little and/or Imaginary Things Bother You
9.  Practice a "DO IT NOW" Habit.
10. Fill YOUR Life With Good.
11. Live One Day at a Time.
12. Learn to Laugh and Cry too.
13. Smile - You'll notice the World is Seemingly Smiling Too
14. Fear Nothing or No One.
15. Let God Lead The Way, He Will Make a Way.

Some one gave me TEN commandments. I already had trouble remembering them.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

I can translate.

"Hello, Openwings. Have you stopped my Knight Rider? Itchy Hasselhoff immersed himself with a bald ant worm.  Since then, there's been morning mist on my lilies."

You're welcome.

ROFL where did you get this? XD

Openwings, welcome to the forum.
We all feel like that from time to time, American dude is like 29 or so and feels like this, i'm 26 and have such moments. But I always remember going to the music school like 10 years ago and having a classmate who was 70 at the time and had just started learning to play the piano. We lose our motivation sometimes, but we have to work on it and not let it get us down. I mean, come on, there has to be something that makes you happy, right?

MyraCh wrote:

Openwings, welcome to the forum.
We all feel like that from time to time, American dude is like 29 or so and feels like this, i'm 26 and have such moments. But I always remember going to the music school like 10 years ago and having a classmate who was 70 at the time and had just started learning to play the piano. We lose our motivation sometimes, but we have to work on it and not let it get us down. I mean, come on, there has to be something that makes you happy, right?

and where did you get this?

hellnoi, is there a problem?

yess.. too many interpretations.
now i am really confused.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

I can translate.

"Hello, Openwings. Have you stopped my Knight Rider? Itchy Hasselhoff immersed himself with a bald ant worm.  Since then, there's been morning mist on my lilies."

You're welcome.

Sehr gut!
Oops sorry, "sore guts" ;)

AmericanDude wrote:

It doesn't help that my younger friend keeps reminding me I'm old.

The only thing I get similar to this is out on walks with younger people with comments like this...
"Heh El, act your age and slow down for **** sake and give us a chance to catch up."

El_Jost wrote:
HaileyinHongKong wrote:

I can translate.

You're welcome.

Sehr gut!
Oops sorry, "sore guts" ;)

At least, you still have your funny bone...
many will tell you to lay off pops..
There will be many who will be befriend you.

El_Jost wrote:
AmericanDude wrote:

The only thing I get similar to this is out on walks with younger people with comments like this...
"Heh El, act your age and slow down for **** sake and give us a chance to catch up."

i guess with age you have trouble spelling four letter words :)

hELLnoi wrote:
El_Jost wrote:
AmericanDude wrote:

Possibly, possibly! - but let's not worry. At least youth is the only affliction that invariably gets better as time passes.

PS I note you hide your age?

El_Jost wrote:
hELLnoi wrote:
El_Jost wrote:

Possibly, possibly! - but let's not worry. At least youth is the only affliction that invariably gets better as time passes.
PS I note you hide your age?

Actually...
i forgot :D my age
yes there are those of us who never know how to behave our age or as you will say, grow old gracefully.
live your life. live well.

Hi,
Live is very beautiful ,any moment or event having both the dark and light part ,so try to see the light part even you could not discover it now , try to be open and do what ever you like ...
that is for today ,....
all the best

Traveller707 wrote:

Hi,
... try to be open and do what ever you like ...
that is for today ,....
all the best

OH!NO!
if that bouncing sheep sees that, we are all doomed!
NEVER allow a sheep to do what it wants.
There will be no GRASS left on this blue marble :P!

hELLnoi wrote

OH!NO!

don't say NO , and let your self to do yes

Traveller707 wrote:

hELLnoi wrote
OH!NO!
don't say NO , and let your self to do yes

Hi 707Newbie. Welcome. You are forgiven for your don't kNOw. There is a bouncing sheep in here, and soon you will meet.
WARNING: DON'T pick up that pencil.

Wow, have you thought about relocating somewhere where you would find more German expats? North Italy for example is know for German re-plants. Perhaps there is a German club where you currently reside? I believe even friendships near or far take effort to stay connected.....Think of what makes you happy and put fourth effort to achieve it. As far as feeling old, I'm afraid that's a state of mind.

its the life and in this life our age is divised much part  for much periodes so also our feelings .u are not the only who feel this sad feelings and yes i understand you..actually im not old im in 24 years but really try be out always dont spent ur time at home just try be out and forget the tradionnals beahaves..be the first who speak with people and be the first who search the pleasure..its hard little but after u will have good result..you are not old in age but ur loneleness and ur sad feelings make u feel that so u can retunr young with ur want..wish u hard luck and really be sure that if we want we can do

you just try to reach out to people.even at your work place try to communicate ,smile and make people happy.You will realize you are not alone .Friendship starts when we open up our minds to things and to others.there is nothing like old..it is just a number or mindset.

I understand what you are saying. I go through a lot of that and I keep myself busy with Church and Bible studies with my friends.

Lately I have learnt to make friends but it gets more lonely even when you do not have a man in your life. Hopefully soon he will come.

Hi, dont feel like that i think there is always somebody for everybody.. im sure u will make several new friends here god bless u.

My dad used to call me 'Petra Pan' as I haven't really grown old in myself, just me skellington is a bit off kilter these days.  But so long as I can still walkstagger, my eyesight is good, my hearing okay and my innards are functioning I can do most things tho at a slower pace than when I was younger.  Mind you, we do have thermal baths here, cheap and wonderful so that does help with the old, tired bones.  So does my two/three rail trips a year to Vienna and Berlin.  I think it's all in your attitude, you have a positive one and you will feel good, a negative one will make you feel permanently in the doldrums.   Katalin

Hi Openwings, Gutentag,

Yeah ofcourse, there are a lot of people all over who fell same
as you mentioned.  Its natural people get old and often alone
in the old age and they feel lonely.

The solution is there: keep in contact with each other and arrange
meetings or atleast keep contact by communications.

I am over 60, asian , currently in UAE. Would like very much to
be in contact with such people who feel lonely and are matured or
aged.  Please feel free to write to me about yourself and we can be friends and exchange our ideas/thoughts and what we face during these days.

Tks
Mustafa

Hi OPENWINGS!
Everyday is a blessings. Mingle with new friends and explore a lot in your surroundings and PRAY!!!!

Find activities and meet other expats

OR