Would like to move to Malta for a year or so...

Hello all! My name is Dana, i'm 32 years old and myself, husband and 2 year old daughter would like to move to Malta, temporarily to start, with the hope of falling in love with the place and settling here.

My husband works overseas and I will be taking a career break from Social Work for a couple of years to give living in Malta a go. We have visited the place and loved it (my husband works a lot in the Maltese sea) however, we feel that if we are going to give it a try, to do it before our child is settled into primary school. We plan to rent first. Any suggestions on areas? I've been advised Attard is nice and central to everything and good value for money property-wise. We would like to rent a 3 bedroomed house, preferable with garage space, large yard for our daughter. Are there properties like this out there?

Could you give me some information on where to start? I can't actually find an official site that tells me how to apply for permits/visas/residency. (Has anyone had the genius to write a checklist on what you need to do before the move?)

I can't wait to get started in arranging the move! We hope to move sometime early next year, but realise there is lots to arrange! We also have our Greyhound to ship over, so any advice regarding this would be gratefully received!

In short, could anyone point me in the right direction for:
Permits
Property rental
Child friendly areas of Malta (meaning good resources-childcare, toddler groups, parks)
Flying my dog over
Possible social work employment opportunities

Any links or advice would be great!

Thanks for your time and I eagerly await your replies!!
xXx

Are you EU citizens?

Hi there. Yes we are from the UK.

Hi dana,

welcome to the forum.

You will find answers to most of your questions by browsing around a bit and I think GnG will send you a list of to-do's as he had the genius to write one -)))

You might have to reconsider social work employment here in Malta as speaking Maltese would be necessary for that kind of work.

Cheers
Ricky

Messaged you the link Ricky kindly mentioned

When looking for the right place to live in Malta, it's imho a "must" to come to Malta or a few days and visit the villages to get "your own" impressions.

Before we came to Malta we got a lot of tips for nice places, i.e. Balzan, Attard, Pembroke, Sliema, Mellieha, Bugibba, Rabat - all places from center to north.
No one (even of the letting agents) suggested villages in the south, because of the weak infrastructure, the "simple people" living there and the noise and crush of people everywhere etc. etc.

When we came to Malta we visited several villages, and finally we rent a house in Marsascala ... against all advices :-) and we love it here.

couldnt agree more mattm....in choosing where you want to live - its horses for courses really

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. We plan to come over in Feb/March time to look around and get a feel for the place. I don't think we would want to be right on the coast (although a breeze in the height of summer would be great!) I think we would prefer a bigger home for the dog and little one.

Would be great to meet up with anyone during our visit time if people are available? I'm a Geordie mind, but I would talk real slow!! :D

Hello again,

I have taken the following extract from a website which gives some details about conditions for ordinary residency:

"This criterion requires that applicants show that they are able to provide for themselves and for their accompanying dependants by being financially stable and not being in need of any financial support from the Maltese government. The current thresholds for EU/EEA nationals are set at a minimum capital of € 14,000 or a weekly income of € 84.95 for single persons, and at a capital of at least € 23,300 or a weekly income of € 93.10 for married couples."

Could anyone clarify - does this mean that the income or capital can be in the UK, or does it require the money to be remitted to Malta?

Also, is it possible for myself to apply for ordinary residence without my husband applying? It would be better for him financially to remain a UK resident, especially during the first trial year.

Thanks!

Money can be anywhere. Yes you can apply  for yourself only. However if your husband stayed for more than 3 months at a time he has to apply for residency

Also, if you applied alone the capital or income would have to be in your name

If the capital is in joint names and husband does not apply for residency, would this be accepted?

Also,

If my husband works out of Malta, e.g. for a week and the returns, does this mean that his 3 month tourist period starts from the beginning?

Thank you.

No

If the capital is in joint names and husband does not apply for residency, would this be accepted? Half is yours, so half should be

If my husband works out of Malta, e.g. for a week and the returns, does this mean that his 3 month tourist period starts from the beginning?
That's getting into a grey area. Who is he employed by, where is his work place. Only residents can work in Malta

My husband works as a mooring master on ships, has a uk contract of employment and gets paid into his uk bank account. All our bank accounts are in joint names.

As he will be working in various countries throughout the year, it seems as though it would not be his interest to apply for ordinary residency anyway.

Would this be the case, do you think?

How much of the year would he spend in Malta.?

dana1 wrote:

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. We plan to come over in Feb/March time to look around and get a feel for the place. I don't think we would want to be right on the coast (although a breeze in the height of summer would be great!) I think we would prefer a bigger home for the dog and little one.

Would be great to meet up with anyone during our visit time if people are available? I'm a Geordie mind, but I would talk real slow!! :D

its nee problem fo me man like hinny lass pet

GnG is correct in what he says about must/should have residency - however many people here dont....and they've been living here permanently for years..am also not saying its right to do so just that it happens and is relevant !!!! plu you can fall foul of heavy bills in not having it.

you can work anywhere you wish - but wherever you work that is where you must be taxed...unless the countries have a double taxation treaty and you make arrangements to apply/claim it.

as for any income - remember the minute you bring it in it may be liable to taxation here with the exception of capital. It would also beg the question of what you expect to live on whilst here...capital or income....so be careful

it can be complicated so be wary and do your homework

georgeingozo wrote:

How much of the year would he spend in Malta.?

He can spend as little and as much as he wants in Malta  as he can accept/turn down work as he wishes. Currently, here in the uk, he makes sure he works at least half of the year out of the uk as he is then exempt from tax.

I see what you mean about having residency or not. I'm thinking would it be worth applying for residency at all, however, I then think, well, what about getting a long term property rental contract? Also, would I be able to register my child a day care without proof of residency?

Lots to think about!

You legally have to register your residence if you are here for more than 3 months at a time. You have to pay tax if in the country more than 6 months in a calender year.

georgeingozo wrote:

You legally have to register your residence if you are here for more than 3 months at a time. You have to pay tax if in the country more than 6 months in a calender year.

registering....this is true but does not necessarily mean you have to get the residency certificate as its not enforced - you should but as i said many dont and have never had it and/or dont ever intend getting it. of course this may all change once the new system comes in next year. But I suspect there will still be many people who just wont bother for whatever reasons, and the lack of enforcement will still exist......