Online Shopping

Can anyone tell me what the cheapest method of online shopping is for Almaty residents? I am specifically interested in electronic goods. I know that stores like Melloman sell electronics, but if I were to purchase these items cheaper online, what sites would you recommend? Is Amazon.co.uk considered a good option?

The reason I ask is because I am interested in starting a shipping business that will provide Almaty with cheaper prices for any US based products. It appears that many goods in Almaty, electronic or otherwise, could be less expensive. For example, a new iPhone 5 costs US$1200 at the stores!

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hello shakedog.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

Thank you Aurélie!

Hello Shakedog

Good luck with the venture.  however I suggest you research the duties and taxed levied by Customs and other authorites in Kazakhstan before you proceed.  They can be quite substantial.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I have in fact. From what I've gathered, goods that are shipped to Kazakhstan for resale are taxed pretty heavily, however goods shipped for personal use are assessed zero taxes/duties up to about US$2000 per person according to invest.gov.kz, however I suspect I may be interpreting it wrong and/or there may be more to it.

Thanks for your reply,

Matt