Indonesian Students

Hi! My family and I will be hosting two Indonesian students from Jakarta in a few weeks. They are both girls - ages 14 and 18. What kind of things do you think they will enjoy doing here in Southern California? Neither one has ever been to the US. They will be here during Christmas ... any suggestions on gifts for them?

Hi DebiL!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Thank you, Armand! It's nice to be here on this forum. I'm trying to figure out what the girls from Jakarta would like to do while they're in California. We do have beautiful beaches here - but I'm sure the beaches in Jakarta are also beautiful! We have many amusement parks like Disneyland too. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :cool:

Hey DebiL,
for 14 and 18 yo girls, amusement parks are way too fun :)
And modern museums might be good too for them, since they are students. Good luck :top:

Depends where you are in California, but I am sure the beaches are nice than the ones in Jakarta. Shopping for branded goods, any and every photo opportunity. And as Cjuliana has already said Amusement Parks and Museums. Disney would have to be a must as would Universal if you are close.

Thanks Cjuliana & lukereg! Disney & Universal Studios then, for sure. And I never even thought about a museum - that's a wonderful idea! My daughters want to take them to get manicures and pedicures too ... so we hope they have tons of fun and want to come back some day. Now I just need to figure out what kind of food to buy ... need to feed them breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But maybe we'll just take them to the supermarket so they can pick out what they like to eat ;)

California has a lot of what Indonesia does not.
Disneyland and the like will go down a bomb as there is nothing of that nature here.
American films are all the rage here so universal studios would probably be a really good idea.
Jakarta's beaches are unusable, mostly because of pollution, and there are few developed tourist beaches as you have in the west.

Take a million photos and give them each a copy on a USB disk. Their mates at school will go crackers to see them.

As for gifts, something with a memory value, consumer goods are easy to get in Jakarta.

Most kids here are Muslims so pork is uncommon and unpopular.  Because of that, better to avoid it or other pig meats...just in case.

If you want to see a little of where they come from....

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic12.php?id=121573

Finally. Thank you a million times for giving these kids a chance to see America and helping them understand another culture.
You're clearly a wonderful person. :)

mas fred ... Thank you so much for the information. I checked out your link, and it was FANTASTIC! Absolutely loved the photos, and most of your comments made me really Laugh out Loud :lol:  Last summer we hosted 3 boys (Spain, Italy, and Morocco) - and they had a blast! They were shocked that my husband did all the cooking - and when I took them shopping, the only thing they picked out were energy drinks!

When my daughter was a little girl, and in school she was asked what her parents did for a living, she said "my dad is a housewife, and my mom is a trash-man." They thought she got it backwards, but she was right. At that time, my husband was, in fact, a stay-at-home dad (cooking, cleaning, etc.) - and I worked at our family business (trash and recycling).

Thanks again for everybody's input. Pork and energy drinks, definitely out. Photos, amusement parks, museums, and beaches - a must! So excited to share our home and our culture with these girls.

Cheers!

Hi Debil, I'm convinced that the girls will enjoy their stay with your family.  Have a blast! :-)

Thank you Sophie! Plus ... I've agreed to take a 3rd student! My husband is going to go crazy with 6 of us girls over the holidays! :P

DebiL wrote:

Thank you Sophie! Plus ... I've agreed to take a 3rd student! My husband is going to go crazy with 6 of us girls over the holidays! :P

may i be the 4th??
:lol:

lotta girls' stuffs there i believe..

cheers,
-b-

Too funny, aabie! My thought is ... well, okay - what's one more girl! But then I can't fit everybody in the car ;)

DebiL wrote:

Too funny, aabie! My thought is ... well, okay - what's one more girl! But then I can't fit everybody in the car ;)

So nice of you,DebiL..
Wish you all girls lotta fun...

Well, it's been several months since the girls have come and gone. Wow ... what wonderful girls from Jakarta they were! They did all the fun stuff you all recommended (Disneyland, Universal Studios, the Beach, etc.) ... but I think what they loved the most was SHOPPING!! Boy, can those girls shop. I miss them and hope they come back to visit our family in California again one day :)

Thank you for sharing what happened. Good to hear every one had fun.