Average living expenses per month

Hi guys,
i am planning to migrate with a family of 6 members. 4 kids, wife and me.
i need to have any idea on how much is an average family living expense per month.
if you are single or living as family you can share your rough estimated costs that will give me an idea on how much should i prepare for before arrival to Canberra.

i have an idea like house rent 400 AUD per week,
groceries ?
utilities ?
kids school books and copies expenses?
phone ?
internet ?

thanks

Hi there,

I don't know which city you're moving into. I can tell you that in either Canberra, Sydney or Melbourne, a rent of 400AUD per week would be either in a very old house with no renovations, or a very small one in the inner suburbs. If you are a family of 6, count on at least 600AUD per week for a big new house in the suburbs or at least 750 in the inner suburbs if the house is renovated. You may be able to find something better depending on the time you're looking, but Canberra is generally expensive compared to cities like Adelaide or Perth.

Utilities are not too bad. I'm single and I pay roughly 85 -100 for all utilities per month. You have to ask the local utilities company to even them out throughout the year, that way you don't pay more in the winter, but the same all year long.

For groceries I spent roughly $120 per fortnight. Almost always prepare the food myself, and try to go to the farmers markets, etc. This is not counting eating out.

I hope this helps.

Thanks a million for very nice detail, catlopag.
yes i am planning to move to Canberra.

also please tell me if possible your monthly average expense on internet usage.

also if possible the average transport expense if you dont have personal car.

cheers,
Saqib

good luck khartoum
me too i'm planning to immigrate to australia
so ur post helps a lot

Australia has a very high cost of living compared to the US or Canada, and possibly slightly lower than most of western Europe.  The cost of living is way higher than almost any Asian or South/Central American destination. 

Expect to pay through the nose for everything, although Canberra and neighboring NSW city Queanbeyan have amazingly low restaurant meal prices (gee, I wonder why? It couldn't possibly have anything to do with all those politicians and senior public servants living there, could it?).

This is the monthly breakdown:

Rent = $1200 to $2000+
Electricity = $50 to $200+
Household Gas = $20 to $100+
Water = $20+
Internet = $20 to $60+
Phone = $25 rental + calls
School = $16 per month per kid (avg)
Groceries = $600 to $1000 per person

Other things:

Movie tickets = $15 to $20 each
Ticket for public transport = $4 to $10 each
Gasoline price = $1.30 to $1.60 per litre
Takeout Meal = $9.00 (avg, one main)
Restaurant = $30 per person, plus drinks & tips
MacDonalds = $5 to $10 per person meal (burger, fries, drink)
Burger King = $5 to $15 per person meal (burger, fries, drink)
KFC = $10 to $15 per person meal (main, sides, drink)
Pizza = $8 to $20 per pie
Paperbacks (non-educational) = $10 to $30
Academic books = $60 to $300
General non-fiction books = $25 to $60
Decent men's shirt = $25 to $50
Decent women's shirt = $25 to $200
Men's dress trousers = $30 to $200
Men's dress jacket = $100 to $400
Women's dress skirt = $30 to $200
Women's dress (business) = $100 to $400
Men's dress shoes = $60 to $150
Women's dress shoes = $100 to $5000
Men's casual shoes = $20 to $60
Women's casual shoes = $20 to $5000

New car = $15,000 to $100,000 (more if luxury)
Used car = $2,000 to $50,000
New motorcycle = from $3000 up
Car hire = very expensive, starting from $25 per day

You also need: Driver's license (up to $200, valid for 10 years), health insurance with dental plan, home contents insurance (optional), unemployment insurance (optional), self defense classes (Australian major cities are rough places with Canberra the exception, so unless you intend to spend all your time in the world's most boring city, you should learn how to keep your family safe).

Average non-executive salary is from $2800 to $6000 per month.