Waiting for Permesso di Soggiorno, US student transiting

I'm an American student studying full-time in Venice (I've been here since Sept 2010). I renewed my Permesso di Soggiorno in August, but it's still not ready and from what I understand now, this year it can take up to 6 months to process. The last few years it only took 3 months.

I have already booked my tickets for Dec 12th to go home to the US, but I have a transit in Germany.

Will I have problems transiting?
I will have my renewal receipt, the old Permesso, and my American passport with me.

Hi hellomarigold,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you will receive some advise very soon.

All the best,
Christine

Hi Vann
Concerning your doubts about your need to transit from Germany to back home in the US, I must inform you that unfortunately this is not possible for you, as at the moment your visa is not yet renewed.
Indeed, in this case you can back home directly from Italy with a direct flight from our country. Of course you will need to show the expired visa, the receipt of the request of renewal and your passport.
Therefore in your case you risk to not be accepted in other Schengen countries with your actual expired visa.
To resolve your problem I suggest you to go to Questura di Venezia and require a temporary visa in a paper format for urgent reasons in order to do not risk to lose your already booked flight.
Regards

Ok, "italianlawyer" already knows this, but I wanted to put it on the forum for others to see:

I emailed the German Embassy in Rome and they said that I could in fact travel in other Schengen countries based upon European law and my right to the 90 day visa as an American citizen.

the diplomats exact words:

"american citizens can travel up to 90 days in the Schengen Area without visa. As you are living in Italy on the base of the italian national law, you can still travel to the Schengen States, because this right is based on european law."

So maybe there is ambiguity with this situation??

If you think I should still ask the Questura for a temporary visa, I can try to get one, but it's more complicated than you think...

I have been in this situation with another Schengen country (old visa expired, new one not yet received but I had the receipt to show I filed in time) and with my American passport I never had problems going through passport control elsewhere in Schengen.

I showed the passport and had my other documentation ready but I guess whatever profiling the immigration officers are doing doesn't "trip" at the sight of me. They don't even ask me what I'm doing in the country.

I've been living in Schengen zone for 7 years and I can't remember a time in the last 4 years when I have been asked by immigration how long I plan to stay or what I am doing in the country. Maybe I just get all the lazy officers when I am entering Schengen. Not the same when I leave- UK, USA border control are all VERY question-y.

this is all rather anecdotal of course.

well i dont know how serious are the control at the border... well maybe they wont create you any problem. of course i suggest you to take their email with you.
anyway considering there are still some days to your departure i suggest you to go to questura of venice in order to obtain a temporary visa and be sure to have not any problem at the border.

thank you all for the help :)

ko thanks.

Hi im ruby jean..
I don't if this a big problem..im living here 2years in italy.my permesso di soggiorno renew..but still processing..
My Permit to stay in italy is still on processing,but i want to travel in Belgium atleast 6 days..i have only a receipt..if it's possible to go in belgium??
Someone can help me about this..!!
Thanks..

hi
i deal with immigration issues and i can assure you that,you have no problem, since you have the 'cedelino' or renewal slip you can use it to travel out through any schengen country: only that the point of exit and return should be the same
regards
Benji

Dear Benji

I must share my terrible experience just yesterday. Awaiting for Permisso di Soggiorno renewal process and tried to fly to Romania with the official receipt supply by post Italia.Airlines denied my confirmed boarding informing that I am not allowed to travel any Schengen countries with that receipt rather then my own country.So better check properly before you move.  I am also searching any  way to visit few neighboring countries like austria,germany,france while waiting for  long Permisso di Soggiorno renewal process.Appreciate if anybody could help me with authentic suggestion.

Thanks

Rakib

Hi,
When they stopped you from flying to Romania was it in Italy itself?
I am having no the same problem and am not sure if I should try travelling or avoid it altogether. There are so many different rules that I don't think there's any other way to know exactly other than to trying to travel. Did they take away your receipt?
Please do let me know!!
Thanks in advance
A

Hello Aaliyak,

Just to point out that this thread is old. The last post is from 2014  :(

I suggest you start a new topic on the Italy forum so that you may get some feedback.

All the best
Bhavna

hi
the law says with the post office slip you have to travel to your country without transiting in an EU member state. but since a US citizen does not need a visa to travel to Germany for a period not exceeding 90 days,i don't think your transit should be a problem

cheers