Brazilian Superstitions - wacky or wise?

Like in many other countries Brazilian people have many superstitions. Some we've all heard of no matter where we come from and others that seem particularly Brazilian. Some seem to make sense but really have no foundation in fact; others are just downright wacky.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-r4lkGPDdfS8/TZ5hRJUyVrI/AAAAAAAAACM/Yz84ZuNYtfk/s1600/charge2009-sexta13.jpg
1. You shouldn't drink cold liquids if you have a cold.

If you have ever asked for a cold glass of water or other cold drink when you've had a cold here in Brazil you already know that they absolutely freak out and tell you how bad it is for you. This has absolutely no basis in fact and truthfully drinking liquids in general (especially water) is absolutely necessary when you have a cold or flu.

2. You shouldn't use pepper or other hot spices when you have a cold.

Again there is no real basis in fact here. Absolutely the opposite, pepper (capiscum) is a natural decongestant. Your nose will start to run even when you're in perfect health when you use pepper and hot spices.

3.  You should never shower or bathe after a meal. It could kill you.

Another wacky one for sure. This has no basis in fact whatsoever and even though many Brazilians (mostly in the Northeast) widly hold this belief there doesn't even seem to be any anecdotal evidence either. Older Brazilian women absolutely freak out if you tell them you're going to shower after you've eaten. In medical terms the worst thing that a hot bath or shower can do after eating is divert blood away from your digestive tract and may cause some problems digesting your food and therefore some minor discomfort.

4.  Eating a mango and then drinking milk will kill you.

What can I say but absolutely bizarre! I've never seen bodies stacked up in front of any of the many places that sell "sucos & vitaminas" and almost all of them have a mango batida of some sort.

5.  Leaving your purse on the floor will bring financial problems your way.

If that's the case then every second woman in North America would be flat broke! Just don't leave it on the floor in a restaurant or other public place where it can easily be stolen and you should be just fine girls.

6.  Placing a small dish or cup of coarse salt in the corner of your house brings good luck.

Well that's higly unlikely, but one thing for sure it will kill any slugs and snails that happen by.

7.  Brooms should be kept with the bristles pointed down on the floor and be hidden behind a door. Also children who mount brooms playing 'pony' will be unhappy. Far-r-r-r-r out!

These are just a few. If you've heard any strange superstitions in your little corner of Brazil please post them here. I think they're just so funny!

Cheers,
James  Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you for this amusing list and setting the story straight.   I work a lot in the Pantanal and have had many Pantaneiros tell me, after the black-and-gold howler monkeys roar, that it is going to rain.  These primates roar in the morning to reconnect with their family and re-declare their territory.  The also howler if alarmed, or if another family moves into or close to their territory.  There is not tie to rain.

In the 1980's, our maid put a small, wet cotton ball on our baby daughter's forehead, allegedly to protect her from getting a cold, which in fact come from a virus, with no fear of wet cotton balls!

I would love to hear from others!

Cheers, Douglas

Hi Douglas,

Although I've not yet had the good fortune of having visited the Pantanal yet and it's one of the places I'd dearly love to experience, I have been to the Amazon. If the Pantanal is anywhere near the same since there is not a single day goes by without at least a brief period of rain then ones chances of being right with the Black and Gold Howler Monkey prediction would be fairly good. LOL  Even a broken watch is right two times a day! hahahaha.

As for the wet cotton balls, at least those nasty old viruses can take a bath on their way through and will be nice clean viruses when they get into those tiny lungs! Go figure?

I must make a correction to No. 5 on the list......... LOL

Every second woman in North America really IS flat broke, but I always thought that was a result of the Sub-prime Crisis, and the over use of credit cards. Maybe there really is something to that superstition after all. Just in case I'm going to start watching more closely what my wife does with her handbag from now on.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Wow! Heard the cold drink one over and over again.

My mother-in-law is also convinced that if I walk barefoot in the house (Canadian habit, right?) I will also catch a cold. She runs after me with Havaianas in her hands, thinking I forgot them.

Kinda weird when its 30 degrees out there and the floor is super hot...

Yeah Emilie,

You're more likely to get burn blisters on your fried tootsies than you are to catch a cold!

Cheers,
James

Thought it would be a blast from the past to revisit this whacky look at Brazilian superstitions and old wives tales.

Re: No. 5 Leaving one's purse on the floor actually can bring financial problems your way, if done in a busy restaurant. Many women have had their purses stolen in restaurants when they've placed them on the floor or hung them over the back of their chair. We've seen that on video footage on the news from-time-to-time. Definitely avoid doing that ladies.

Just a few other whacky superstitions that are common in Brazil:

Never take a broom with you when you move, throw it out and get a new one when you arrive in your new home.

It's bad luck to leave the house through a different door than you came in through. Glad my tiny little pad only has the one door. I guess this could be a problem if you lived in an apartment on the 21st floor and it was the balcony door.

If the first butterfly of the year that you see is white, then you'll have good luck.

You should never give a knife as a gift, it will mean an end to the friendship will soon take place. (Hope that one is not due to being stabbed)

If you lose something the best way to find it is jump three times. (Well maybe that's true if you think you've lost your glasses, and they're propped up on you head)

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

I have to second the flip flop "chinelas" thing .....Brazilians rarely go barefoot , even in doors
and once they did ask if I wanted to borrow some flip flops even though I had my own because I was barefoot in the house.
It's just wierd to me to wear flip flops in the house,and I can't see myself ever doing it , in South Africa it is not uncommon to see people , especially white surburban youth barefoot even in the streets and supermarkets , although it's not my cup of tea and regarded as a bit "hippie"

Yes the flip flops, my in-laws struggle with my no shoes in the house rule. Of course this is in America where 80% of the house is carpet. They will even buy a brand new pair of flip flops to convince me...but a few days later I see them outside with them on.

I've identified 3 things brazilians really love

1. flip flops - to be worn at all times , suprised they don't wear them in bed

2. Plastic packets and packaging for everything - napkins in plastic , plastic cups you name it brazilians love generating large amounts of plastic waste

3. Been pregnant