JOB IN LUBUMBASHI, CONGO

Hi

Iam from India. i got a call saying i hv been shortlisted for a logistics job in Lubumbashi, congo.

i need to clear the final interview and negotiation of salary and perks

Firstly can anyone suggest me about the life and cost of living in Lubumbashi. is it safe to live with family or even single. what could be the best salary package(position is managerial position).

also i request someone from that place to let me know the details of the company where i am shortlisted. company name is CHEMAF SPRL a Shalina group company headquartered at dubai and operations at Lubumbashi and across Congo.

regards
Giridhar

[moderated: off topic!]

Hi,

I lived in Lubumbashi for 3 years and very familiar with all the mining companies, as well as with Chemaf.

Chemaf is an family operated business and has been severely hit by the global economy crisis. They have lost 2 personal friends of mine in the last year due to disputes.

Personally, I would'nt work for them at all.

The going rate for expats in Congo is around 10 to 15000 dollars per month, plus housing, driver, car, security, gardener,  schooling and living out allowances. Chemaf will probably only offer you around 5 to 6000.00 per month.

There is a few restaurtants one can visit but the town is extremely run down and basic foods and accesoriues can be found.

Roads are terrible and you really need a 4X4, specially in the rainy season.

Malaria is rife and the biggest killer there.

In short, that is about it, let me know if you need ,more info.

Cheers.

I have also been offered a job in Chemaf now. I dont really know how good is the company, Can someone Advice ? How safe is staying in DRC Lubumbashi, Chemaf has their guest house is it safe ? Is the company doing good ? My job will be mostly based in Dubai and I have to visit DRC on a regular basis is what they are saying. Can someone pls advice. Thanks

Yes, if you based in Dubai, it is ok I guess, but as far as Chemaf is concerened, I dont know how stable or secure they are, as I know they went through a bad patch and wasnt doing good at all. As I have said, they are a family operated company and basically do what they want, as there is NO law in DRC to protect ex pats. The owner has the authorities in his pocket, so you basically left at the families perils. Lubumbashi is fairly safe, and there is some restaurants you can visit, but at a steep price, as everything is charged in US Dollars. Make sure you make the use of a driver when traveling around, unless you are well converse in French or Swahili to get you out of trouble when the police stop you, otherwise you end up paying massive bribes not to sleep in jail. They pull you over for absolutely nothing, just to collect bribes. Take loads of books or movies on your laptop as I am not sure if the guest house has DSTV. One warning friend, dont take a local girl and keep her as your girlfriend, you will be arrested the day you cant pay for her extravagant spending on clothes, hair, parties and family. They simply lay a charge of rape against you and then you done for.
Make sure you negotiate your terms well in advance, specially with the owners daughter and her husband, as theyseem to be running things now.
Good Luck.

Hi, please move your post to Congo,DRC. FYI Lubumbashi is situated in the Congo DRC (Democratic Republic of Congo, capital city: Kinshasa) and not the Congo (capital city: Brazzaville) which is a different country - Check your map

i cant remember asking you for geographical advice, co-ordinates or input AT ALL. Speak when you are spoken to.

Hi guys,

Your topic has been moved on the Lubumbashi forum.

Good luck,
Christine

OOPS, Good manners should maybe come first before Geography on yr 'to learn 'list;)
Again, FYI this is a public platform designed to inform the uninformed- Cheers!

Hello ;)

@sandrangb & @coeniemeyer

Can you please avoid silly dispute on the platform! Let's concentrate on the topic discussion!

Regards

:dumbom:

hi there coeniemeyer. i just wanted to know if you could give me backgrounds with regards to lubumbashi,congo. i have an offer to work there in livonia international that is the company. as an accountant.

is it safe there?

health issues?

peace and order?

are there filipinos already in lubumbashi?

do u know some of them?

any other info that could help me decide to accept the offer or not.

thanks. hope u could reply.

Can anyone inform the current status of living costs in Lumumbashi? Also what kind of personal taxation is applicable to Indian nationals.
Thanks,
Discovery

hi my dear,
it is true that i am congolese i can try to defend my country.but i thing i would rather tell you the truth than promoting bad.
i am working in zambia as "Plant Analyst/Accountant", i am also expatriate but i prifer going back to lubumbashi than working here.
The very big problem as an expatriate is your contract with your imployer.your contract will make the bad place to be good.
the law will not help you more than your contract with your employer.
they are plenty indians leving there without any problem, i was teacher in an indian school in the same town of Lubumbashi (Little Angels'School).

come and see your self,Lubumbashi is a very good place for living.

ii will come back to you for more informations if you need.

Thanks, but please tell me the taxation system in Congo.
Regards,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Before i answer to this question i would like to know one thing: are you going to do your own business or is a certain company which is employing you?
if it is your own business, you have to insure that you get a work permit which is normal in all countries of the world.and the VAT is 15% whilst everywhere is 16%.

But if it is working for a certain company then you don't have to worry about anything.your company must take care of it.

It is difficult to get use to a new culture or whatever but if you don't try in life you will never make it.

many thanks

JONAS MWALULA

I am Naresh kumar , Indian i have been offered the post of Manager Finance in Libumbashi , Democratic republic of congo . I want to know whether it is safe to work in Libumbashi and i also do not know about Austen group being headed by Mr Kamlesh Pattni , the chiarman of the austen group as their website is under construction so i am not sure about this Austen group should i join this Austen group or not and what is law and order situation , malariya problems , electricity and other amenties

Hello Niresh,
I am very happy to read you.Do you Know that people go in Afghanistan to work?I have one of my Friend who had a contract in there and he is working.I am telling this to let you know that even in the country surrounded by war and genocide people are going to work;what more Lubumbashi which has not have war since 1959?about security Lubumbashi is the most secured town in DRC.we hear about war but we have never seen it.
I usually insist on one thing,we work as expatriate because our country can not afford to give what an other gives.
If i may ask,how is your contract with that company?is it securing you?does it give you more money than what your country is giving you?

In Lubumbashi there are so many indians,there are 2 indian schools.I have been teacher in one of those schools of 123 families. And other school is about 200 families. so i can count more than 323 families of indian in Lubumbashi doing different business.

My friend,you will never know if you don't try.Go in lubumbashi to work.Respect the law and people there you will enjoy the place.
As you can see i have so many things to tell you about the place if you want to know more.
I am now working in Zambia as Plant Analyst/Accountant,the Gouvernment is about to send us back to our countries;but this has never happened in congo.

Go my Friend,but insure you respect people there and sign a good contract with your employer which is going to protect you.

Many thanks

JONAS MWALULA
([email protected])

Dear Sir

Jai shree krishna

I am bharat somaiya present i am servise in mining minral resource last 2 year pls give me one chance your company

Dear Mr.Giridhar,

I am seving in Lubumbashi since last 8 years.

The information provided by one of the member is completely wrong.

The average expenditure in Lubumbashi is around 600-700 USD which is well in the range of monthly food allowance provided by Company.The climet and safety is better than any city in India.The company is very friendly and takes care of it's employees very well.

Some of the people spreading rumour against the Company.

Hi,

This is Laxman Vadukar from Bahrain. An Indian National. I have completed B.COM from MS University, Baroda, Gujarat. and Appearing for CMA(USA).

Total 6 years rich experience in Finance & Accounting Area. (4 years Bahrain + 2 years India).

I would like to request, If any one can help me out with good job opportunity in Lubumbashi, DR Congo.

Thanks,
Laxman

Hi...
Congratulations....
Chemaf is one of the best company for Indian expats.
I have worked 8 years and found suitable.
All the best
regards

Mr. Abdul,

how are you?

Could you please help me out with any job sites or any connection in good companies in lubumbashi congo.

please provide me on [email protected]

thanks,
Laxman

Hi
there are few known mining companies
Somika
Chemaf (shalina resources)
Rubamine
Tanke Fungurume (TFM)
You can search on net....
Chemaf is the best amongst all above
regards

Hi, Abdul

Thanks for your kind reply.

yes, I can go through internet.

Actually some of relatives working and doing business over there.

I would like to move there anyhow, specially in lubumbashi only.

If you have good contact in finance or accounting field. kindly let me know.

I have submitted my cv to chemaf right a moment.

Thanking you again,
Laxman

Dear Sir,

My self alok gupta (Indian). I have been offered to Chemaf (company name) in Lubumbashi (Domocratic republic of congo).I would like to know about safety, livining cost and company.

Please guide me.

Thanking you

Dear Giridhar,I was there in Chemaf Sprl in engg dept,it's nice area.no problem of human safety,company,make good contract,if possible get family status with all company...best luck .can contact on email.   [email protected]

(Moderated)

my name hashim and am a hardworker and i work for kamaka co ltd in tanzania  i like to work out of tazania

regards

hashim dewji

Hi everybody I am in CONGO anybody have opportunity in Administration, please mail me to [email protected]

Hello -> To all job seekers, do not hesitate to post your cv in the Jobs in Lubumbashi section. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

HAI WOULD LIKE TO KNOW CURRENT SITUATION ABOUT LUBUMBASHI AND KOLWEZI

hi abdul you work for chemaf sprl

Hi,

I am Sudhir from India, I need a help. Presently I am working in Lubumbashi and need a change and I am looking job in mining companies. Do you have the email id of CHEMAF SPRL or the contact person. It will help me a lot. I send a mail last week and I dont know it is a proper mail id.

If you dont have problem please send me the details in my gmail id.

[email protected]

Keep in touch friend

Thanking you
Sincerely

Sudhir

Hi I am ENAM from MUMBAI, INDIA. Planning to Travel to Lumumbashi for Business. Wish to know Various business Opportunity from there. Whether Trading of Goods, Cars, Motel or Mining. I wish to know economical housing per month. Is there any Indian restaurant, currency widely used, commodity imported and resources exported. Looking for good local business and social info.  To Invest make profit, and invest partial in the service and health sector for welfare of the local community.
Regards,
ENAM
[email protected]

Hi Aurie are you in Lumumbashi. I wish to travel and find suitable business Opportunity.

Regards,
ENAM
[email protected]

Hi my name is Ambroisine, i am also looking for a good job in DRC. Please let me know if thers any good company looking for people.

Thanks

Aurélie wrote:

Hello -> To all job seekers, do not hesitate to post your cv in the Jobs in Lubumbashi section. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thanks for your kind reply.

yes, I can go through internet.

Actually some of relatives working and doing business over there.

I would like to move there anyhow, specially in lubumbashi only.

If you have good contact in finance or accounting field. kindly let me know.

I have submitted my cv to chemaf right a moment.

Hello mustab hasan sunasara -> I suggest you to post your cv in the Jobs in Lubumbashi section or to start a new thread on the Lubumbashi forum. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie