New Move/Care for Elderly Father. Cost and Living Questions

Hello all,

I am contemplating the move with my Father(74) and I(42) to Sri Lanka. I have read much but still have questions.

What would/should it cost to have someone to live in or on premises to watch out for my Father and prepare at least one meal a day? He is in early dementia - but not inactive. I just want someone as a watchful eye/house assistance?

I am hopeful we can find a vintage/victorian/colonial type home in the outer country. This way I have personal space and so does my Father. From those who know the country best.. is this practical? I like cities well enough but my Father is not a city person.

I currently care for him in the Caribbean in a rural beach community...This will be different but still island, tropical, rural life...

thanks

Hi Pearl,

You can easily find a person to look after your father for around $ 300 to $400 a month with some cooking and other stuff. Usually this is what a qualified nurse or as you say Elderly caretaker in Colombo charges for a month.

You can try Kandy (Hill Country) or Galle (Beach) if your plan is to be in a quiet surrounding with a colonial style housing.

Hello PearlIsland,

Welcome to expat-blog. you might want to go through forum Sri lanka - cost of living. you might find some interesting informations.

Melissa